The Announcement: Varese is Back!!!!!!

COMING TO YOUR GALAXY THIS SPRING!

Date: 5/5/2005

No, we’re not talking about Revenge of the Sith, but we sure are looking forward to it. The long awaited and much anticipated announcement of new Club titles is upon us. On May 16 we will post three new Varèse Sarabande CD Club titles, plus a new release from Masters Film Music. And, as if that’s not enough, there is another … a special, fifth title (and the one responsible for this belated announcement) will round out our spring offering. Hope to see you, we do!

Woodwindmaster06

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope there will be at least one Williams title in this bunch. I'd love a Deluxe Edition for Dracula and Monsignor.

And let's hope a complete, definitive edition of Alien will be part of this bunch as well. :)

With all due respect Doctor, I'm counting on THE COWBOYS, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL and ALIEN3.

Hitch

The original Alien 3 album was released by MCA (Universal), which would probably make an expanded reissue impossible. Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong. There's a lot of unreleased music that I'd love to have on CD. ROTFLMAO

So, the speculation begins again.

I hope that this month they will release Kamen's Die Hard, Horner's Commando, Goldsmith's Great Train Robbery and Silvestri's Predator!

Four of Varese's lesser releases, methinks (and youdisagrees, I'm sure).

I hope they are releasing a 2 SA-CD set of Gerhardt's The Empire Strikes Back album and Kojian's Star Wars Trilogy album with bonus tracks of Morton Gould's LSO re-recording of the Star Wars "Main Title" and "Princess Leia's Theme". The Gould cuts represent the first digital recordings of Star Wars music.

All of these were SoundStream Digital recordings, which had a sampling rate of 50kHz, meaning they will gain a clear benefit by being released on SA-CD which has a sampling rate of 100kHz, while standard Red Book CDs are 44.1.

Neil

I hope they are releasing a 2 SA-CD set of Gerhardt's The Empire Strikes Back album and Kojian's Star Wars Trilogy album with bonus tracks of Morton Gould's LSO re-recording of the Star Wars "Main Title" and "Princess Leia's Theme". The Gould cuts represent the first digital recordings of Star Wars music.  

All of these were SoundStream Digital recordings, which had a sampling rate of 50kHz, meaning they will gain a clear benefit by being released on SA-CD which has a sampling rate of 100kHz, while standard Red Book CDs are 44.1.  

Neil

That does it.

Townson, get this man a job at Varese right away, I tell you!

Dracula would be cool. The OST has some good stuff and I've heard it's poorly representative of the score.

John- who's never seen the movie

Well, considering that human hearing is out to ~20 kHz (which is covered by a recording sampled at 44.1 kHz), sampling at 100 kHz is a waste of disc space.

For that matter, so is 50 kHz.

The point is, converting a 50kHz recording to 44.1kHz introduces artifacts. The CD does not represent the actual recording, but rather a compromised version. You can read all about it here.

And 16 bit 44.1 kHz CDs do not sound as good as SA-CDs. That's all that matters to me.

Neil

The point is, converting a 50kHz recording to 44.1kHz introduces artifacts.  The CD does not represent the actual recording, but rather a compromised version.

Ah, no argument there. It's always best to use the native format of the original or better. Wasn't looking at it from that POV in my previous post.

You can read all about it here.

Quoting from the link:

"The advent of Direct Stream Digital™ (DSD) technology and its frequency response of over 100kHz allows the Soundstream tapes to be remastered to DSD, presenting to the listener the true sound of the recording. Not only is the original bandwidth preserved, the sonic artifacts produced by the awkward sample-rate conversion are eliminated as well. The end result is the sound that the recording team intended, even though it had to wait for more than 15 years!"

The ironic thing is, I believe that the DSD remastering process is performed via an analog-to-digital conversion. In other words, play back the original Soundstream tapes and redigitize the analog output via DSD. Or is there a software conversion tool available for DSD?

And 16 bit 44.1 kHz CDs do not sound as good as SA-CDs. That's all that matters to me.

True, but I feel that the extended dynamic range of DSD (120dB) vs. that of CD (96 dB) is what makes the difference, not the extended frequency response.

Isn't that stuff (somehow) the property of Sony Classical and Lucasfilm by now?

Isn't that stuff (somehow) the property of Sony Classical and Lucasfilm by now?

I don't think so. I don't think they have any rights to it.

Neil