Overlapping dialog in Star Wars movies

Adam

Curious how people feel about Lucas practice of reusing dialog from the original triology and having the prequel characters say the same things. I've found it to be distracting but that might just be me since I rarely hear it get mentioned.

- Adam

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least in TPM, I thought "I have a bad feeling about this" was poorly timed and placed. Lucas was probably so giddy about fans waiting 16 years for some classic Star Wars dialogue, he makes that one of the very first things Obi-Wan says in the beginning of the film. Considering the situation didn't appear to be dire right away, it just didn't work. I thought it would have been more efficient had he said it when Darth Maul appears in the Naboo hangar. Then it would segue in Qui-Gon saying that they would take care of the situation. Another one didn't work was when Queen Amidala criticizes about the senate discussing things "in committee." Lucas has been trying too hard to tie-in both trilogies, whether with recurring themes, visuals, ideas, etc. -- sometimes to the film's detriment.

I liked the "bad feeling". I wouldn't count that as "repeated dialogue" though, a SW movie without that line wouldn't be a SW movie. But I loved all of Palaptine's ROTJ quotes.

Marian - :)

It was more awkward in Clone Wars. When Anakin sees 3PO has gold plating he says "Impressive. Most impressive." A little contrived there.

I noticed a lot of it, maybe more than the other prequels, in RotS, particularly the first part of the movie. In some cases it works but stuff like "Aren't you too short..." and other sort of banal dialog just seems like an unnecessary conceipt. I don't see the point. Not a huge problem but, again, just kind of distracting I thought. I guess if it has some meaning in the film as well its mostly going to go unnoticed unless a person has seen the originals a lot.

- Adam

yeah, "Here's where the fun begins" is said by Han-Solo in Star Wars when they're on the Millennium Falcon. I'm not a die hard Star Wars fan or anything, but at least I remembered that and allowed myself a small smile in the theater.

Tim

I never get that quote. Dubbing things.

Surely the morons did translate it differently, like C3po 'oh dear'. But i think this last one was corrected in ROTS...

Checked that too. It's not there either.

When they walk around in the stomach of the beast they regard to be an asteroid cave?

I thought the Emperor's quotes worked better than everybody else's. "I can feel your anger..." (It was cool since he said it EXACTLY like he did in RotJ.) "You know it to be true..."

Obi Wan's staple of "I have a bad feeling..." was best in RotS than any of the other prequels.

Actually, I think Han's "This is where the fun begins" is from ANH, when they're being chased by the Star Destroyers. Then Ben says, "How fast before you can make the jump to lightspeed?"

Seemed like Padme was quoting Leia's RotJ lines a lot in RotS.

Actually, I think Han's "This is where the fun begins" is from ANH, when they're being chased by the Star Destroyers.  Then Ben says, "How fast before you can make the jump to lightspeed?"

Yup, you're right. I hadn't even noticed that. :|

Although I do remember noting to myself that Anakin read like Han in the opening parts of the scripts. ;)

Obi Wan's staple of "I have a bad feeling..." was best in RotS than any of the other prequels.

Doesn't Anakin say it in AotC? When they're chained to the pillars...

Tim

"Here's where the fun begins"

"How long before you can make the jump to lightspeed?"

"It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navicomputer."

"Are you kidding, at the rate they're gaining!"

Neil