Favorite instrument group Williams writes for?

Which instrument group does JW write the best music for?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Brass
    • Woodwinds
    • Strings
    • Percussion (pitched and un-pitched)
    • A combination (please specify)
    • It's all good (no one section has better music)
    • Chorus

I'm assuming the fact that it's Valentine's Day doesn't dictate nor affect what the program will be like, huh?

"Men Of The Yorktown March"? Maybe. "March from Midway"? Definitely not romantic.

You should do the "Theme from A.I.", as Johnny calls. It got all the ladies at the Hollywood Bowl all misty eyed and all the men reminiscent of their younger days with their much happier (and thinner) wives.

Dan - wondering if "Can You Read My Mind?" is performed so that Joe can fly to the Netherlands and experience bliss once again.

:music: "Young Girl's Burial" from The Cider House Rules (Portman)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We play some romantic music too. And yes we have performed love theme for Superman once. If you come over for the concert I will assure you that it is put on the program.

Oh and it's not the en of yorktown march, but the other one, I think just called March from Midway. Sounds much better, like march 1941, which we also played once.

Well I checked your website and it was fun to read that you also played in the NJHO. I played there in 1997-1998, unfortunately not with Jan Cober anymore.

And I was there too in Rotterdam when Tim Morrison played. That was great.

You also say you played a lot of soundtracks. By yourself? or in an orchestra??

PetePan

Cool, Pete! I would love to see Tim Morrison perform anywhere.

Dan - a fan of Tim's

:mrgreen: "The Legend of the Pianist" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

• 2 years later...

THIS is an OLD thread, Morlock!

That's funny, because yesterday Morlock accused me of bumping old threads, while I was only bumping a thread with the last post of 7th December 2004!

BTW, I was choosing between Brass and Strings, but I voted for Strings.

Obviously the most correct answer would have be "It's all good". Also, don't forget some great chorus parts like "The Temple of Doom" or "Duel of the fates".

French Horn and piano of course Smile

No, actually, he doesn't play the horn. I think he said so in the pre-concert talk with Clevenger before the horn concerto. I had no idea he played trombone, though - pretty cool! He sure writes for the horn like he plays it, though.

And the answer to the question - BRASS, of course!

I had to go with the brass, as many here have. Williams does write incredible French Horn parts. Listen to "main title" to attack of the clones, after the main theme fades away, the horns come in with an amazing line. (in the film it's used when the weird flying creature comes shooting out of the water on Kamino)

Far and Away has some awesome horn lines, and Who doesn't love those "rips" the horns do in "The Forest Battle Concert Suite" from Return of the Jedi.

Although, he writes some pretty awesome Banjo (The Reivers) :D

Josh, who plays French Horn and Piano.

And of course there's the classic French Horn solo in Binary Sunset. :D
The horn is the instrument for the Force Theme. It sounds good on anything, but from a horn it's even more special.

Yes, I believe we recently discussed the Force theme for howling cats and dump truck.

Did anybody else get a big kick out of Williams' re-use of the "classic Binary Sunset horn solo" in AOTC? Same solo, same key, same sunset, a Skywalker standing in the same place, same goosebumps!

Of course, that's been one of my favorite moments of the score since the first time I heard it. And the way it kicks in to DotF, a perfect blend of major themes from both trilogies.

Did anybody else get a big kick out of Williams' re-use of the "classic Binary Sunset horn solo" in AOTC? Same solo, same key, same sunset, a Skywalker standing in the same place, same goosebumps!

"Binary Sunset," that's what I thought when I heard it too. But really, if you examine the two pieces, the instrumentation isn't really the same, only the Force theme and the French horn. Interesting how it was evocative of "Binary Sunset" anyway.

The euphonium was used for the final statement of the Raptor Theme on the Jurassic Park End Titles - which I believe are track seven.

The more you get to look at his conductor scores the more you begin to appreciate the writing for the woodwinds. Especially creative doubling and really cool counterlines which are buried into the mix and not always "heard". He is also a master of aggressive string writing - Aesteroid Field and Duel of the Fates. Often has famous brass sections are simply doubles of the string section. I also love the way he uses woodwinds to sparkle the trumpets - having the oboes play at pitch with the trumpets double it up an octave with the flutes - If I had to pick one John Williams orchestrational thing to represent most of his work that would be it. He uses that practially everywhere - in all scores.

Well, I was going to make some smart@ss comments, but then I noticed how old the posts I was poking fun at were. THANKS A LOT FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD.

8O

j/k