Which is your favorite track on the WotW album???

Josh500

I'm not sure yet, but right now, I love "The Ferry Scene" and "Escaping The Country." I guess this is an album that is most effective when you listen to it straight through, though.

:)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Intersection Scene" and "The Confrontation with Ogilvy" are my favorites tracks on the WOTW album.

My favorites are "Prologue," "The Intersection Scene," "The Return to Boston," and "The Reunion." Probably my favorite is "Prologue."

~Sturgis

"The Intersection Scene", "The Ferry Scene", or "The Return to Boston" all worked well in the movie and on CD

I really liked Escape from the City - I loved how Williams scored those impressive camera moves with a held string note - scored to perfection! ROTFLMAO

I'm liking the score more and more as I listen, particularly:

"Prologue" - almost whimsical through the narration (which I love in the film, and don't really mind on the album), and then the incredible drums that open the film...fantastic!

"Reaching the Country" - one of the more emotional tracks. Nice synth choir, and I like the building drama and emotion as Robby leaves his family.

"The Intersection Scene" and "Escape From the City" - two action tracks that have grown on me over time. The second could be almost described as motivic, with that fun and relentless rhythmic figure.

"The Return to Boston" - more classic Williams than perhaps anything else on the album. Very militaristic and intense. And I love the horn and wind chimes that play as we see the birds...magical!

I haven't enjoyed "The Reunion" as much as I thought I would at this point. But the opening horn is nice, as well as the following piano rendition. Then a second more inspirational horn line leads into the closing narration with similar music to "Prologue." Needs a few more listens.

Ray Barnsbury

Tracks 1, 2, 14, 15. 15 is probably my favourite. Everything else, Meh. I may change my mind when I see how it fits in the movie. I find the Rite of Spring stuff in track 4 just distracting. I can guarantee that at that point of the film I will be dragged out of the story and I will start thinking about Stravinsky. To me that's the kiss of death for a movie score. Why did Williams do that?

Hey Pixie, I analyzed the "Rite of Spring" chords, and they're not even the same chords, even if you transpose them.

Stravinsky came up with a pretty good idea when he threw melody to the wind and used the orchestra for harsh rhythm. But then again, so did the first guy who came up with the major key arpeggio. But he doesn't have a monopoly on the technique, does he? I wonder why Stravinsky does? Here's hoping Williams' use of similar techniques will further help people forget that Rite of Spring was so groundbreaking for its time, so that composers can finally get on with making music.

My favorite tracks are the Intersection Scene, Escape from the City, the Ferry Scene and the Confrontation with Ogilvy

Hey Pixie, I analyzed the "Rite of Spring" chords, and they're not even the same chords, even if you transpose them.

Stravinsky came up with a pretty good idea when he threw melody to the wind and used the orchestra for harsh rhythm. But then again, so did the first guy who came up with the major key arpeggio. But he doesn't have a monopoly on the technique, does he? I wonder why Stravinsky does? Here's hoping Williams' use of similar techniques will further help people forget that Rite of Spring was so groundbreaking for its time, so that composers can finally get on with making music.

It's not the same specific notes but it's pretty close. The use of a (any?) bitonal cluster chord in persistant unrelenting 8th-note repetition is straight out of Rite. No one has a "monopoly on the technique" as you put it, but why on earth would anyone want to write something that sounds so obviously similar to another composition. Williams is capable of more originality than this, that's why I love his music so much, and why I find this particular track to be lazy writing.

No one has a "monopoly on the technique" as you put it, but why on earth would anyone want to write something that sounds so obviously similar to another composition.

An element doesn't get much simpler than that. Only a single repeating or non-repeating tone could be more simple. Rite is no longer THE repeating cluster piece, as it once was. The repeating cluster is just an compositional element at this point, like a minor triplet, or a 4/4 drum beat. Every composer puts the same basic elements together in different manners. Wordless choral clusters also have an origin, but that doesn't mean that composing them is any more derivative than anything else.

The use of a (any?) bitonal cluster chord in persistant unrelenting 8th-note repetition

How do you know he used 8th notes?! :)

I like what I hear so far. The opening track reminds me a lot of Vangelis style. At least the beginning of it.

For some reason this soundtrack has reminded me a lot of Jerry Goldsmith. Especially the action tracks. I wonder if this was a deliberate thing on JW's part. Does anyone else hear what I hear?

The use of a (any?) bitonal cluster chord in persistant unrelenting 8th-note repetition

How do you know he used 8th notes?! :)

Well that's what Stravinsky used! (Blows raspberry at Jeshopk and stomps off in a sulk :| )

Well I'm seeing this film tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. My parents went to see it in England the other day and sent me an e-mail gushing about how heart-stopping it was. I'm interested to see how effective the "middle" of the score is in context.

For some reason this soundtrack has reminded me a lot of Jerry Goldsmith.  Especially the action tracks.  I wonder if this was a deliberate thing on JW's part.  Does anyone else hear what I hear?

The timpani outbursts in The Intersection Scene (my favourite track, along with The Ferry Scene) sound a lot like Goldsmith (more so than Williams, I'd say). Overall, I'm tempted to say that while Goldsmith preferred character pieces, I think he'd have been happy to have written WOTW.

Marian - expecting WOTW to remain Williams' best score of this year.

Refugee Status

Return to Boston

Reaching the Country

Best action cue:The Intersection Scene

Coolest segment:Music burried under the narration in Reunion. ;) Still looking for where I heard those woodwind figures before.

K.M.