John Williams' images

Trumpeteer

Finally, finally, I saw "images," thanks to blockbuster.com (which will also enable me to see "The Fury" soon).

Not a great movie. I was surprised at the language and nudity, and Susannah York is too creepy for me. And the whole "two people in the same place" thing wasn't explained early enough or exploited enough to make it interesting. And that death by stabbing just made the movie more confusing.

That said, John Williams' music is fantastic. I have it on CD, but it was good to finally see where many of the standout cues fit. The main titles music makes more sense now, and many of the percussion cues mean more.

If you've been thinking of watching the film, don't really bother unless you have a curiosity, as I did, to see how this strange music works for this film.

Jeff -- waiting anxiously to get "The Fury" in my mailbox

Edited: See thoughts below on "The Fury"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen an Altman movie I liked, so I've been avoiding Images. I think I've made the right decision.

I'm looking forward to reading about your thoughts on The Fury.

Neil

Then you probably won't want to stop by when I get "Nashville" and "Short Cuts" in the mail. LOL I had a desire to revisit some Altman films after seeing "Gosford Park" on TV.

I'll put my thoughts on "The Fury" here.

I've never seen an Altman movie I liked, so I've been avoiding Images.

As about the mention of the "Gosford Park" above, have you seen this movie? It's perhaps not the one you would fall in love with, but neither is it the kind of the film that should make you regret the time spent watching.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen "Open Water"? It nearly caused me a heartache and I definitely can recommend it to those who find all the movies made thus far about sharks boring! Dreadful!

8O

1. I saw "Ready to Wear." Didn't care for it. The nudity, it seemed, was appropriate for the picture. In "images," they start cursing like sailors out of nowhere, and it's a little jarring. The nudity, too, came from nowhere.

2. "Open Water" almost surpasses "Jaws" as the best suspense thriller of all time. Those actors were very brave. It had a "Blair Witch" feeling to it, meaning it felt so documentary-like and real.

I've never seen an Altman movie I liked, so I've been avoiding Images.  

not even MASH.

Wow indeed.

Morlock- who doesn't think he's seen any Altman movie between1971-1992, but loves M.A.S.H, The Player and Gosford Park.

The Eiger Sanction is on TV right now.Some girl(George)Clint is training with just removed her blouse and her boobs poped out.

She's naked again a bit later too...

K.M.

And now, my review of "The Fury."

If you can forget that this movie is another take on "Carrier," by the exact same director, then you are in for a decent movie.

It's not great, mind you. The two stories don't connect until the final 20 minutes. I kept wondering what was up with Robin the whole time, and not knowing for about 40 minutes irked me. But Amy Irving does well with her character. And Kirk Douglas is always good.

Now, for that music. I think John Williams took on this job because 1) he had a deal to do another picture for 20th Century Fox and 2) he wanted a quieter film between "Star Wars" and "Superman" that wouldn't be too taxing to compose. Nothing really stands out here, though the main theme had promise. I don't think it's a score or film I'd actively search out again, but I'm glad to have heard the music written directly after the success of "Star Wars."

Wait ,Williams scored a movie with nudity?

Are there other movies scored by Williams with nudity?

K.M.

Schindler's List.

Nothing really stands out here

Nothing stands out musically in The Fury??? Did you have the sound turned on? What about the escape from the institute? What about the music playing as Gillian lives in the institute? And an entire review without mentioning the ending? Visually and musically that ending is wonderful, one of the best endings for a movie.

Neil

The Eiger Sanction is on TV right now.Some girl(George)Clint is training with just removed her blouse and her boobs poped out.  

She's naked again a bit later too...  

K.M.

Cue the coy clarinet solo LOL

Yes. Neil, the escape from the institute's music was good -- for about a minute. I know the entire scene was done without dialogue, a chance for JW to shine, but there was nothing real memorable about it.

I still have the DVD, so I'll check out that scene again.

As for the ending, I think I had written off any major musical moment for the finale, and so I didn't notice anything major. I was suprised that it ended when the guy blew up, and the music ended abruptly, too.

wow... someone rip the sex scene out then. i wanna hear how william's scored it. :D

i was talking to someone who worked with goldsmith on basic instinct. haha, for the sex scene, he was working extremely hard trying to come up with something that worked. so much that his assistant (a female) was dreading helping him out since they would watch the sex scene over and over... but he came up with a genius idea for the sex scene.