was williams out of ideas?

tony69

look Alex can't like it because it belongs to Potterdom, and then he'd be admitting to liking kiddie stuff.

Well, I guess you will always have your sports  

as a matter of fact Alex I will in about 32 days.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally,I want him to take the style he's best at(his fantasy/adventure thematic style),and push THAT to new levels of intensity and emotion.I don't care for intimate scores like Geisha and the likes,I want him to write as much larger than life fantasy scores as he can.I'm disappointed with WOTW BECAUSE he abandonned too much his thematic approach for it and tried something different.

K.M.

Stefancos, he putted several previous compostitions into his mangler and out of it came these clones but with their notes in a different order. Even the arrangements sounded overfamiliar, not identical or self-plagiarism, mind you, but overfamiliar.  Every knowledgable Williams fan who has been following his career over several decades knows this. Williams' goal was to enchant and to recruit little kids and instead of being fresh he choose the easy way.

It was the right way.

For me HPPS is now a "classic" JW scores in the same category as Jaws,SW,E.T.,JP...ect..

I agree, I think it is JW telling his old fans that he could still do the kind of score they fell in love with him for, after introducing the modern Williams, in AI.

Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. are the real classic soundtracks. They are true landmarks, the real cornerstones, and they are all differ greatly from one another.

You just didn't connect with any of the ideas of the score. The music may not be the newest sounding on it's own- but in context, it is an entirely unique score. The themes bare similarity in their orchestration and rythems to other JW pieces. But each one means so much in the context of what it was written for, I haven't thought about the thematic similarites to other JW themes since the third listen. The most I hear is TLW occaisionaly in the Quidditch Match, and I'm much fonder of the later score and cue.

Hedwig's theme may sound in a way like Home Alone. But it just so inspired in it's perfection in capturing the whole world of Harry Potter, that who gives a flying $%^&? And the same could be said for every other theme in the movie. And the Quidditch Match bringing a T-Rex to mind- it's such a fantastic, exciting, right on, action cue that perfectly captures the game, that who cares about the reference? You do, but you never cared enough about HP in any of it's forms to find the meaning behind the stuff. Film scoring is supposed to dramatically support the film. In this case, the similarities, whether intentioned or not, are just besides the point. The score worked dramatically perfectly, and I know that I, for one, wasn't thinking about Home Alone or Hook or Jurrasic Park or Witches of Eastwick when hearing the score work it's magic in the film.

As a stand alone album, no it is not a classic. But as a film score album, and all that entails, it is indeed a classic, at least in this soundtrack fan's view.

One of the things that keeps me so satsfied as a JW fan is that jsut when you think you've got him figured out, he throws you another doozy. It's been that way in my 3+ years of JW fandom, and I can see the trend clearly throughout the previous decade, and probably much earlier than that.

BTW- I don't mean this as criticism Alex (not that I think you'd mind if I did), I'm just saying- I understand this isn't you cup o' tea, but here's why I still savor it.

So you hear it too? The point is Williams never did it so excessively. This is the closest he ever came to being a Horner, so why call it a classic?

I have to say i dont agree with Alex now.

HPSS has some little tidbits of rehash, but it is not near a Horner by far...

AND the best version of Ludlows demise is from Minority Report :P

I must say, that right now, Williams stepping out this series angers me more than when he stepped into.

So you hear it too? The point is Williams never did it so excessively. This is the closest he ever came to being a Horner, so why call it a classic?

I have to say i dont agree with Alex now.

HPSS has some little tidbits of rehash, but it is not near a Horner by far...

I didn't say that he pulled a Horner, I said, of all his scores, this is the closest he ever came of being a Horner.

And should you still not agree with me, then tell me, where did Williams do it even more excessively? Minority Report?

----------------

Alex Cremers

And should you still not agree with me, then tell me, where did Williams do it even more excessively?

American Journey

Spacecamp

...off the top of my head

And should you still not agree with me, then tell me, where did Williams do it even more excessively?

American Journey

Spacecamp

...off the top of my head

American Journey, wasn't that a bit on purpose? Sort of like a Williams collage?

Spacecamp rehashed what exactly?

American Journey was music to a documentary and was probably temp-tracked though there’s really just a few spots that I notice feeling blatantly similar to something else he’s done - like the Far and Away quote with the first movement.

I think the Harry Pottter music is very evokative of the ideas in the movie but its delivered in a pretty standard fashion. It doesn’t feel like rehashing to me but it feels like, texturally, he's operating on a more generic level though that sounds more insulting than I intend. But there wasn’t a lot in the style or atmosphere of the film that suggested anything different that I can see so I respect that he tries to find a voice that matches the voice of the film. And there’s still lots of nice subtleties where he adds a quircky, off sounding harmony to an otherwise straightforward melody or more generally just the way he’s able to write themes and music that are so descriptive of their ideas in the film.

But its one of those things where people want different things in their music and he can't please everybody even if that was the point. There's also the fact that when he's scored so many films, its decreasingly likely with each score that he's going to write something that doesn't sound like anything else he's done, especially if its a genre that's more familiar to him.

- Adam

A voice of its own! That's it! Adam, you're a genious! Hey, maybe Williams didn't think the Potter film was special enough to give it its own voice or that they temp-tracked the movie with Williams music and that John sorta gave them what they wanted. Mmmm, I believe we're on the right track. Things are beginning to make sense again.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I didn't say that he pulled a Horner, I said, of all his scores, this is the closest he ever came of being a Horner.  

more bullcrap from Alex on his crusade against Potterdom, but the fact is he can't successfully attack the score, its beyond his ability, though he will scratch and claw, and use those few in the minority who agree with him to his best advantage.