Jurassic Park Recording Schedule

GoodMusician

Hey all.

I was curious: A lot of the scores that are on this site include a little information on what was recorded when and what order and on what reel and so forth.

I was wondering, does anyone have this information on the Jurassic Park score. I always wondered what music had been recorded for the movie beacuse, well, it's interesting that the only unsed tracks we know of are "Eye to Eye" and what many people call the "Action Montage," or the end credits from Making of Jurassic Park. I did notice, however that on the Making of Jurassic Park video, there is a breif moment near the end when they talk about the compound or maybe it was the road sequence, and you hear about 10 seconds of extra music that I'd never heard before.

I just think it's funny that the only way we know of what about the Action Montage is through that making of film, and without it, we'd have no knowledge of it's existence which makes me wonder how much OTHER music there is out there that was recorded for the film that we don't know about.

Hence my wondering if anyone knows what the recording schedule was and perhaps that would give some clue about what should be there... and then maybe what isn't.

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a cue called "Raptors in the shed" in the full score that's marked as "unused", so I suppose it is, although I haven't seen the movie for several years and can't confirm. There is a recording of this, though, Idon't know from what source, the sound is somewhat muffled.

That does clear up something actually! Thank you!

I recently aquired another "Complete Jurassic Park Soundtrack." It named what I've always called the "Action Montage" as "Unused Raptor in the Shed." I'm curious now... I'm gonna go watch the movie with that in playing instead of what Is really playing.

That did help! THank you! :P

EDIT: Interesting Discovery!

I had my complete soundtrack playing, and I had muted the movie. Well... at the end of "Unused Raptor in the Shed" you hear a quiet muted horn playing the raptor motive. Well. The first thing I heard when I unmuted the movie was that EXACT same thing... instrumentation, octave... everything ... ie: that same part of the music.

So... it leads me to believe that the next part of that SAME track would have been the unreleased begining to "Clever Girl," or when muldoon is attacked. The end of it is released... it's on the "Raptors" track...

EDIT 2:

Yes! I figured out that if you play the track starting the VERY SECOND that the music stops, right before the raptor emerges, it fits so perfectly that if you unmute the movie, it's really cool! REALLY suspenceful!

ALSO..that part I mentioned... as the begining of Muldoon's attack, they line up perfectly as well!... Cool huh!

It's funny you ask. I just got to that part. I'm wondering if at the end it'll say what music was in it because there is definately music not from JP in the making of JP... and I wonder what it really is... I'm watching it now. When it's done I'll check for what music was in it.

I know... some of it does... others sound more classical or like they were meant to be used only in that context... like when they show the old old version of the Lost World...

My only question then becomes, how woul some of that stuff work with JP... maybe some of it Mr. DNA or alternates... but past that, I dunno how they'd work.

How long was it before the canceled the trike scene? That would use playfull music. I know they made the baby trike but they cut it... how late in production? Would John have written anything for it?

EDIT: I also think it's worth mentioning that the 10 or so extra seconds I heard in the Making of thing, those actually go on the end of "Hammonds Proposition." It's like an extra swell of a chord with a slight hint of what's to come. It has part of the t-rex theme... cut because the scene is shorter than the piece

I suspected that was for the Galamimas. Remember, Burtt and Lucas were involved in post production. I bet Burtt was proud of his footthumps.

what for the galli? the one from the end credits of the making of?

try watching it the way I described... it's sooo cool... I havn't tried with the gallis but I KNOW it works with the raptor in the shed...

as far as possibility for galli... sure...I dunno

EDIT: MY dvd won't get to that point. It's dead. It's all scratchy ... ROTFLMAO ...all the more reason to buy the new version I suppose.... it's only $18...damn, you could get the first one alone on dvd for that lol

There is a cue called "Raptors in the shed" in the full score that's marked as "unused", so I suppose it is, although I haven't seen the movie for several years and can't confirm. There is a recording of this, though, Idon't know from what source, the sound is somewhat muffled.

You can find it on the bonus DVD of Jurassic Park.

For me it's the same disk as JP, but the idea is the same.

The End Credits for "Making of Jurassic Park," where ever you have it on a tape or dvd or what not... those end credits have that track--Unused Raptor in the Shed--playing over it.

I suspected that was for the Galamimas. Remember, Burtt and Lucas were involved in post production. I bet Burtt was proud of his footthumps.

I've never heard of Burtt being involved in Jurassic Park. Gary Rydstrom was sound designer on JP.

The track Eye to Eye includes two cues. The first is 5M3 Goat Bait, not used in the film but meant to underscore the first attempt tp bait the Rex. The second is 11M2 Preparing to Meet the Monster.

The cue at the end of the making of doc is the first part of 12M2 Hungry Raptor, which should under Ellie's escape from the bunker. The first part was dialled out in the film, but the rest of the cue underscoring Muldoon's death is still there.

Theres' some"happy" music at some point in the Making Of documentary that's not in the film..Anyone noticed that?

K.M.

I think your refer to the scene where paleontologist Jack Horner is introduced, the scenery is taht of the Mojave desert.

I've never heard of Burtt being involved in Jurassic Park. Gary Rydstrom was sound designer on JP.

I thought he worked with Lucas in post production. I thought I saw him in the "making of" book. I'll have to check. Probably just a faulty memory. I wonder who decided to re-edit the music in the shed/T-Rex finale scenes? Spielberg was approving things from the Shindler set, but do you really think he didn't like what he heard in those places? He didn't even give John Williams any direction on that score. He let him do whatever he wanted.

There is a lot of non-williams music on the making of DVD, but there was one cue that sounded like it could be for the Galamimas. It begins with a "La Mer" type pattern that could easily match the herd running. But then turns a little darker for what I imagine would be grant noticing they were coming their way.

I thought he worked with Lucas in post production. I thought I saw him in the "making of" book. I'll have to check. Probably just a faulty memory.

Wasn't Burtt responsible for editing the scenes of the T-Rex walking around the museum? ROTFLMAO

Neil

• 2 months later...
The track Eye to Eye includes two cues.  The first is 5M3 Goat Bait, not used in the film but meant to underscore the first attempt tp bait the Rex.  The second is 11M2 Preparing to Meet the Monster.

The cue at the end of the making of doc is the first part of 12M2 Hungry Raptor, which should under Ellie's escape from the bunker.  The first part was dialled out in the film, but the rest of the cue underscoring Muldoon's death is still there.

I'm a bit late in the thread...But I was wondering where you got the Slate/Title numbers for the cues. (You know, the 5M3 stuff.)