LOTR: FOTR What are you looking forward to?

what cue or moment are you looking forward too the most?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Prophecy (film version)
    • The complete Bridge Of Khazad Dum
    • The Mirror Of Galadriel
    • Journey To Weathertop
    • The Watcher in the water
    • The complete The Council Of Elrond
    • The Tomb Of Balin
    • Other (specify)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My anticipated list would have no end - I just need to hear all of this wonderful music by itself 8O

Oh, and I'm not sure what the deleted link above was, but there's a site called Hirgon's Lord of the Rings clips (or was - I've googled it and can't find it) which has DVD rips of stuff like Caradhras, Boromir at the Council (an awesome rip, I don't know how they did it with no voice echoes), the whole Amon Hen sequence and some source music.

btw, what are they going to do with the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship? I can't find it in the tracklist, and it is unreleased, and a very good listen. Same with the aforementioned original Journey to Weathertop.

At the end I guess...

Disc three runs about 1 hour 3 minutes, although over 10 minutes of that is end credits music.

That's the only thing I can think of that would be "end credits".

ttbk

There has not been any mention of the release of the Theatrical versions of many of the cues, just EE. I do not mind that much since I like the EE cues but they could have been added just for completeness' sake. I just wish the release would be as expedient as possible.

Edit:

Apparently no Theatrical versions make it to the release since they are quite redundant. They would reprise much of the same material with no or little change. Doug Adams just clarified this in a rather long post (I can see he is getting a little frustrated with us 8O )

8O Jerry Goldsmith First Knight Complete score (Leonesse)

BTW Adams said many of the alternates were on the original album as many cues have different solo instruments and parts (Prophecy being the clearest example of an alternate).

I have found that I lack discipline for these long waits. I drive other people mad with constant hype about the LOTR release(also the people not here on the Board) 8O As Steef said it "Bring it on!".

I love that - I think it's the first - appearance of the Nazgûl motif as Bilbo slowly lets the Ring drop off his hand.

After the prologue that is.

Marian - wondering if the fan club credits will be on these discs.

Mr. Breathmask said:

I love that - I think it's the first - appearance of the Nazgûl motif as Bilbo slowly lets the Ring drop off his hand.

Here is a little point for me to nit pick but It is not the Nazgûl motif but rather the Evil of the Ring descending Thirds motif. It represents Rings hold on Bilbo and the struggle to let it go.

The motif and two other motifs(skip beat ostinato and circling motif) work in many scenes together with the Nazgûl ostinato and choir but it is a separate theme. It can be heard on many tracks with no conjuction with the Nazgûl material.

Not that this proves anything but here is a quote from Magpie's Nest(LOTR music site) about the Nazgûl theme:

Some consider three recurring phrases, the Descending Third Theme, Circling Melody, and the Skip-beat Ostinato to be part of the Ringwraiths' Theme and they are often used as ostinatos to the Ringwraiths' Theme.

Marian - wondering if the fan club credits will be on these discs.

Do the Fan credits contain any new music? To me the music sounded like the cues came straigth out of the original soundtrack album. No need to reprise the old material even if it belongs to the EE. And I think Shore and the producers think likewise.

I have never listened the Fan credits to the end :oops:

Is the alternate good or significantly different?

I can see Shore Putting the ROTK Fan credits to the Box because they contain new compositions. I have no recollection were there any new pieces in TTT EE credits.

I know.I'm in deep shame. It has been a while since I watched the FOTR EE and by the time I got to the end credits I did not pay attetion to the music as much of it sounded the same old. :oops: :oops: I listen to it again I promise.

In TTT I noticed some new music and ROTK (which I have watched the most recently) Credits sounded so significantly different that the new music was not hard to notice.

Same here. It will be all that better when you after months of depravation put the discs in the player in November(I'm still hoping) or December and hear that wonderful Prologue begin to play(my lasting dreamfor the past three years). I am in quite an agony here. I have been without Rings music for 3 months now(Though I have watched ROTK once).

Rosenman score LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL (some one is going to bash me for this)

I own the score but as you said stale old bread just isn't the same as a gourmet meal.

And the Main theme (in Star Trek IV there was the blantant use of it and it is not good. Rosenman did not know when to abandon a bad theme) LOL LOL .

It is a animated feature but had the main theme be so childish. As a kid I loved it but now it is just embarrasingly childish.

And the Main theme (in Star Trek IV there was the blantant use of it and it is not good. Rosenman did not know when to abandon a bad theme) LOL  LOL .

He uses it in Robocop 2 also.

Rooooobooocooooop.....Rooooboooocooooooooop.

He uses the theme in Robocop too!!!??? He sure does not recognize a bad theme when he uses one. LOL LOL

RooooobooooCooop RoooobooooCooop!!

Okay is this enough or should we continue Rosenman bashing a little more? :D

Rosenman's music is great.

Neil

To each his own. I find very little to admire in the score and Rosenman is not that great(once again my opinion, which has come clear by now, I hope).

Rosenman score LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL (some one is going to bash me for this)

Yes, I am. Rosenman's LOTR is one of the great scores of film music history. Musically, Shore's scores definitely can't compete.

Marian - saddened by all the neglection of Rosenman.

It may be complex and fresh, but it's definitely not listenable, except for the gorgeous "Mithrandir" cue. And the prologue perhaps, but the main theme is far too silly.

Imagine such a score in PJ's films ... Froooodoooo!

Even the cue Mithrandir turned sour when I realized it is taken almost straight out of Holst's Juppiter Bringer of Jollity hymn section. Both are nice, Holst is better(by which I mean the hymn not the whole Juppiter, which has few really clumsy and funny sections).

There are many cues I am looking forward to, but there is one I've specifically held dear to my heart since I first saw the film at the cinema and that’s the cue that underscores Boromir's description of the white towers to Aragorn as they sit together in Lothlorien at night. This theme was one Shore later brought back in Return of the King but that specific rendition from Fellowship has been a favourite since December of 2001.

I love the History of Gondor/Silver Trumpet theme too. That scene in Lorien brings tears to my eyes every time. the music captures the emotions and tone of the scene so perfectly and coupled with that dialogue it is pure magic. I wonder if there is a piece of music I would not want to hear from FOTR:) I wait for the whole score so badly.

It may be complex and fresh, but it's definitely not listenable,

I find it very listenable. It does not have to be easy listening to be good. It's still more "listenable" that WOTW - which I also consider a great score.

except for the gorgeous "Mithrandir" cue.

Which, as has been mentioned above, is a direct lift from Holst's Jupiter.

And the prologue perhaps, but the main theme is far too silly.

How can it be silly? If anything, the over-operatic Mithrandir song is silly (I like it, but it's still odd - even more so when you keep in mind it's supposed to be Elvish). The main theme is actually a great example of the use of themes in film scores, as it gradually builds throughout the score and never gets a full treatment until the end credits.

Imagine such a score in PJ's films ... Froooodoooo!

PJ's films are very different. Rosenman's score wouldn't work there anymore than Shore's would in the Bakshi movie.

Marian - who would love to hear what Rosenman would have written for the second part.

I have not heard much of the ST IV outside the theme. The LOTR DVD 5.1 Audio is definately worth the wait. I have wondered why don't the record companies produce more DVD Audios since the soundquality is superb compared to CD format. The cost might be one reason and the other is that they do not think that DVD format is as widespread as CD, which is absurd since DVD is now a days very common