Really Bombastic...or kick a** Movie Scores

Johnmusic

Hey all,

I am in need of some really powerful movie music. I am going to play a piece every day for my band...it calms them down and gets them focused.

Now...unfortunately...the music can't be anything like Jaws Indiana Jones or Star Wars...because too many people know it...and it will get them talking even more.

Can anyone help me by listing the titles to some really powerful, bombastic...exciting film themes...other than John Williams'? Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about?

Cutthroat Island (all the score)

Batman Forever (the action tracks)

Back to the Future (the theme, however is very know)

The Time Machine

1941 (the march)

Planet of the Apes (2001) (main titles)

Just looking for Main Themes or actual cues? I'll list some of both really quick.

Adagio & Transformation from Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is quite powerful. Goldenthal is great in that respect.

How about something from one of Horner's Star Trek scores? Stealing the Enterprised from S4S is Horner when he was at his best. Riding the Firemares from Krull is great and not well known.

Herrmann has some powerful music, but some of it may bore the kids. How about the Psycho Prelude? North By Northwest Main Title?

I would suggest something from the Matrix, but almost every young person in America has seen that a hundred times (hence they might recognize it)

Finally, may I suggest Wagner? No one knows orchestral power like him. If you're looking for a bombastic non-singing/non-recognizable piece, I'd suggest Siegfried's Funeral March from Gotterdammerung. It was used in Excalibur many times. The Magic Fire music from Die Walkure and Finale from Gotterdammerung are quite powerful as well but I can't think of any films they were in.

There's just a ton of stuff out there! Happy hunting.

Adagio & Transformation from Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is quite powerful.  Goldenthal is great in that respect.

Oh good, I was already afraid noone was going to mention that score.

Regarding Matrix...you could play some John Adams, too....but people would probably mistake it for The Matrix. :)

Marian - who'd like to get Karajan's complete Ring box set, but can't afford it.

Summon the Heroes, Olympic Spirit, and Call of the Champions are Williams works that aren't particularly well known or recognized. Not as much as Olympic Fanfare and Theme, anyway.

Ray Barnsbury

The Rocketeer is pretty good, I think. The End Credits is bombastic, at least. Maybe an action track from The Lost World, if someone hasn't mentioned it. Evolution has bambasticy(?). Ooh, ooh, how about Masada? That's a good, sort of bombastic piece fom Goldsmith. Then there's always How the West was Won.

~Conor

Wasn't there supposed to be a re-recording or a release of that score (Spartacus).? I remember reading that somewhere quite a while ago.

That's another great score by Mr. North. Hopefully Spartacus will the 'Cleopatra' treatment with 2 CDs etc.

Jamesyboy - who thinks the current MCA disc is just way to damn short

Goldsmith was going to do it, but he said he wouldn't have enough time for rehearsal and he wants the re-recording of such a great score to be perfect.

Here's another Kick A** score to mention:

Jurassic Park III - Davis did a great job IMO. Wicked orchestrations and very, very fast paced.

Nothing will beat the first 2 though :(

Jamesyboy- listening to JPIII right....NOW!

Jurassic Park III - Davis did a great job IMO. Wicked orchestrations and very, very fast paced.

I dunno that was OK, but it kind of lacked in its organization.

Explain?

Thats a bit complicated. I dunno the score just felt very disjointed and ... how shall I put this ..... not well put together. I'm not saying its a bad score. Its good, I just felt it could've been done better if Davis had spent more time developing each trach with more craft.

-Rogue LEader who sucks at putting his thoughts to words. :P

You all have been great!

I have taken EVERY single suggestion you made...and I think I'm going to use them all! A great thing about this board is that no matter how much we argue and debate...we are still willing to help each other out...and that is something you can't find in a lot of places! Thank you!

I've always loved First Blood. Goldsmith really stepped up to the plate with that score. Also, from that same year, Goldsmith had some knock out action music for the Challenge. Definitely Raiders has great actiom nusic, as well as the other two Indiana Jones films. Back to the Future, and I love the opening theme for the Great Train Robbery. It is a fast paced Goldsmith gem.

The Crusaders in Pskov- Alexander Nevsky (Prokofiev)

Candles in the Wind/Wreckage and Rape-Alien 3 (GOldenthal)

Reno Ho- Cobb (goldenthal again)

Interview with the Vampire- Goldenthal..again

Nixon Main Theme- Williams

Dragonslayer- main titles (North)

The Sea Hawk- Korngold

1st mvmnt Symphony #3- Prokofiev

uh, there's tons more....

How about theme's from:

The Cowboys - Overture

Stargate

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Or the "Ultimate Battle" from Hook :biglaugh:

But the real question here is will your "band" be able to play any of these pieces? Unless this is a professional concert-band or wind-ensemble we're talking about here (didn't sound like it was from your post), I really don't see you guys being able to perform most of these pieces. Heck...I was in a moderately good University wind ensemble, and it was tough for us!

Wow, Dragonslayer main titles. Are you sure it's wise for them to play something so chromatic? ;) It's deliberately designed to be inaccessible to make the dragon seem ugly and alien to most viewers. Hmm, I suggest for North, Gladiator Fight To The Dead from Spartacus, nothing is more bombastic than that :nod:

If you want a single piece that will serve as a kick in the butt, try "The Creation" from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein by Patrick Doyle.

At 2:00 it packs a lot of pop.

bruckhorn

Wow, Dragonslayer main titles. Are you sure it's wise for them to play something so chromatic?  ROTFLMAO It's deliberately designed to be inaccessible to make the dragon seem ugly and alien to most viewers. Hmm, I suggest for North, Gladiator Fight To The Dead from Spartacus, nothing is more bombastic than that :thumbup:

Hmmm. That sounds like a quote from an article I wrote for Film Score Monthly on Dragonslayer a few years back.

Zimmer

Nuke: Broken Arrow

Too Many Notes Not Enough Rests: Drop Zone

Rock House Jail: The Rock

Run Free: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron

Chase: The Peacemaker

R. Newman

Hijacked: Air Force One Regected

The Bird Flies: A Bug's Life

Infinity and Beyond: Toy Story

The Ride of the Doors: Monster's Inc.

Justin -Who loves both Zimmer and Newman. ROTFLMAO

Oh, yes, Morn, The Hunt from Planet of the Apes, the best track of POTA (PAM! paam paam PAM! paam paam dudadudaduda.......). But I think it's very difficult to play.

So you want something powerful..... The Grand Finale from EDWARD SCISSORHANDS

MARS ATTACKS! (That Martian March..... The Main Titles)

MEN IN BLACK (Main Title)

AIR FORCE ONE (Main Theme)

DRAGONHEART - every track

Convening The Coven (Mychael Nyman)

The Gladiator Vallz

PEACEMAKER Main Theme

THE LORD OF THE RINGS (Leonard Rosenman)-Theoden's Victory and the Main Theme

Crazy Tom from the Talented Mr. Ripley

ROBOCOP

and................Silvestri's DEATH BECOMES HER