Which John Williams scores still need a good RE-release???

Rogue_Leader

With "The Fury" coming back and "Spacecamp" apparently on the way again, I was wondering which JW scores you feel still need another release.

Here are some which I feel need to get released again:

1) Attack of the Clones: Rather obvious yes. We can only hope that when this does arrive (since it almost certainly will) that it won't be an "Ultimate Edition" so to speak! :)

2) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: This is one that SO needs a re-release. The current album has what? 35-40 minutes of music? What is that? If I had any idea of how to go about it I wouldn't mind starting my own campaign to get this re-released. BTW what about Last Crusade? Does that include all the music from that film?

3) Hook: For once a REAL FULL release. The definitive full version.

Hmmmm what else?? I know there are plenty more. Just cannot think of any right now. Someone throw out some more!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see 2-cd, full-score, well-written liner notes of all three Indy scores. I even would like a rerecording WITH Mr. Williams for Last Crusade. Also, I would like the same for my favorite, E.T. :)

~Harry

TPM, AOTC, Harry Potter, Hook, TOD. Those are the most obvious ones.

In addition to that, Last Crusade has lots of great music that's not on the official album. Also, I'd like a Raiders that has the second half of Well of the Souls. And I *really* want a Jurassic Park with the T-Rex Car Chase music.

And actually, I wouldn't say no to a decently remastered Superman...

Well let's see, how bout an official or expanded/remastered/complete/correctly sequenced version of these:

The Sugarland Express

Black Sunday

Images

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jone and the Last Crusade

Jaws 2

Hook

Episode I

Episode II

Dracula

If the Fury can get a rerelease, why can't the last two Indy scores get one? That is in no way saying that the Fury doesn't deserve it, but I think Temple and Crusade are well over due. Who would have thought the Indy scores would take this long! If only Varese had the rights to them....

If the Fury can get a rerelease, why can't the last two Indy scores get one?  That is in no way saying that the Fury doesn't deserve it, but I think Temple and Crusade are well over due.  Who would have thought the Indy scores would take this long!  If only Varese had the rights to them....

EXACTLY!!! :angry:

Couldn't agree more. What is the hold up? I mean the Indy series has a huge fan base like SW and it still has yet to recieve a rerelease for its scores. Especially 2 and 3 which REALLY need em.

Maybe after Indy 4 FINALLY comes out we'll see this happen. We can only hope! :(

Indiana Jones Trilogy, Empire of the Sun, Monsignor, Accidental Tourist, and both Jurassic Parks.

Based on his music/themes: Supermans 2,3, and 4. Also Jaws 3 is pretty cool.

:( Krull

the other two Indy scores will be released in full when the dvd's come out, I think. don't quote me on that. i jsut thought i remembered reading an article and (of all people) George Lucas saying this. one thing is for sure, it will happen. TOD and LC will each have a complete score release. i've read it multiple times from various sources.

the other two Indy scores will be released in full when the dvd's come out, I think. don't quote me on that. i jsut thought i remembered reading an article and (of all people) George Lucas saying this. .

Sorry, but Lucas never said that :(

one thing is for sure, it will happen. TOD and LC will each have a complete score release.

I agree. It'll happen eventually.

i've read it multiple times from various sources

What you've probably read are opinions saying it will happen :angry:

It's a good bet it will happen when the DVD's will happen, the scores will have to be remastered anyway.

OK how much music is still left to be released for Harry Potter??

The album is what 77 minutes or something?

How much was recorded???

Sounds like another Hook. :P

I definetly think that Harry Potter worth a complete 2CD release.

I find it would have been more constructive to create a petition for a score like Harry Potter than for Attack of the Clones (but it is my own opinion).

What about creating a poll for this topic ?

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (including a more complete Raiders)

E.T. (with concert arrangements restored)

Black Sunday

Midway (original soundtrack recordings plus bonuses)

The Sugarland Express

Images

And all of the above with substantial liner notes, including interviews with JW about the score at hand.

OT: Does anyone know about a complete edition of Alien now or in the works?

fivetones, who thinks that Hook, HP, AOTC and especially TPM are better left alone now, and to hell with all the nasty emoticons that may come my way!

No, only the DVD iso score - which is great, but as lacking in sound quality as the Silva CD. For now, I'm happy with my self-made CDs from the DVD, but I'm confident it won't be too long until we get an expanded, remastered release - perhaps from Varese, they also got Damien from Silva after all.

Marian - who also hopes Varese are still going to do the DE of Great Train Robbery.

Let's see:

Empire of the Sun (although there are only three unreleased tracks of that film)

Home Alone (a 2 CD set with all the music of the two films would be OK)

Family Plot (I only have that Silva Screen version of the main theme)

All the Indiana Jones trilogy (including the first one, as the LP has music that is not in the Complete Edition CD)

A lot of Varese's CDs, which running time is always about 25 minutes.

And, above all, BORN ON THE FOURTH JULY. The edition I have is a shame, which relegates Williams's music to a secondary level. :P

There are many more, but these are the most important ones, I think.

A.I. - but i know it's not happening

Oh, yes. I love the unreleased music of A.I.

The arriving at Rouge City by the head-mouth-tunnel is superb PA-RA-BA... PA-RA-BA.... PA-RA-BA.... PA-RA-BA-BA-BA... PA-RA-BA........

Rosenkravelier music with the rythms of The Mecha World. Unsurmountable.

It should have won the Oscar instead of the boring The Lord of the Rings :P (much much better the Rosenman's version).

No, only the DVD iso score - which is great, but as lacking in sound quality as the Silva CD. For now, I'm happy with my self-made CDs from the DVD, but I'm confident it won't be too long until we get an expanded, remastered release - perhaps from Varese, they also got Damien from Silva after all.

Yeah, I grabbed the tracks from the DVD, but they were few as well as being placed over the wrong scenes in the film (even though Goldsmith's score is so good it works that way, too!)

scissorhands wrote:

"Oh, yes. I love the unreleased music of A.I.

The arriving at Rouge City by the head-mouth-tunnel is superb PA-RA-BA... PA-RA-BA.... PA-RA-BA.... PA-RA-BA-BA-BA... PA-RA-BA........

Rosenkravelier music with the rythms of The Mecha World. Unsurmountable."

Der Rosenkavalier -- with you on that! Why did they gut Rouge City for the CD release -- did R. Strauss' people want too much money? Is it still under copyright? Or are the music editors just lacking taste?

oh i know. i definitely think A.I. should have the Oscar. in my opinion, it is unquestionably the best score of 2001. and i agree with you about Rosenkravelier. it was great!

what i want is the score how it was in the movie, so that i could hear every little aspect of the development of Monica's theme, which from watching the movie, is so good. the imprinting scene has some of the quietest yet affecting music i've ever heard. Monica's theme is heard ever so slightly and each time it gives me the chills. same with the scene in which she is reading Pinnochio to Martin in bed and David is sitting by the wall listening. truly amazing.

and what i want the most is the Blue Fairy music AS IT APPEARED IN THE FILM, not what's on the cd. i love so much of Williams' work, but the music i think is some of the best he has ever composed. it's a combination of the composition and the orchestration that makes it so unique. there's just something about the music in that scene.... i only wish i could explain it.

the music in the Blue Fairy Scene and the "You are the Pan" music from Hook i think are the most amazing pieces he's ever written. they get under my skin in a way that no other piece of music ever has.

In Hook I prefer The Ultimate War, seven minutes of action music.

But I understand what you feel with those tracks. It happens to me with The Last Battle of SPR and Toy Planes, Home and Hearth from Empire of the Sun.

Yeah, I grabbed the tracks from the DVD, but they were few

Few?? They're enough for a 2CD set - my original score CD has 27 tracks and runs about 60 minutes, and there are 14 alternate tracks (including Freud and the Hanson cue) on disc two, about 30 minutes long.

:P Rudy, long suite (LSO, Goldsmith)

and as for Attack of the Clones, i really hope a complete score is released. there is a lot of great music in that movie that never made it on to the soundtrack. for example, the first formal (as John Takis put it) rendtion of the Love Theme. i don't know if anyone else noticed, but it is played in a different key than all the other rendtions of that theme and it is unsurprising that i think this version is the best. also, the final section of "Jedi Archives," when there is a cut to the transport as it is travelling through space, is really good. there are so many little things like that whihc are so good. another one is whne Obi-Wan comes out of hyperspace outside Kamino. that has a great fanfare. not thematic, just awesome.

I completley agree that "Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom" MUST be rereleased. I saw the movie recently, and I think there must be at least an entire hour of music missing from the CD!

I would like to see a reissue like the one of "Raiders of The Lost Ark" in 1995, containing at least 30 minutes of previously unreleased material.

And "Attack of The Clones" also needs a further release, I think. And (like most of you probably think) that shouldn`t be another "Ultimate Edition", as that would be horrible. In fact, ten times more than the one of "The Phantom Menace".

Yeah, I grabbed the tracks from the DVD, but they were few

Few?? They're enough for a 2CD set - my original score CD has 27 tracks and runs about 60 minutes, and there are 14 alternate tracks (including Freud and the Hanson cue) on disc two, about 30 minutes long.

Thanks for the correction. I will now have to rent it again!

Oh, yes. I love the unreleased music of A.I.

Rosenkravelier music with the rythms of The Mecha World. Unsurmountable.

Yes! If they only would have put that tiny bit on the CD I would be completely happy with the current CD release (though the songs should be at the end!). Instead, I have to keep listening to it on the DVD menus :P

:P Obsession (Bernard Herrmann): his most underrated effort. How can you beat Herrmann composing for organ and choir?

Thanks for the correction. I will now have to rent it again!

There are two iso scores on the DVD, the original score and the alternates. Perhaps you only heard the alternates?

:P Final Fantasy (Elliot Goldenthal)

OH yeah A.I.. That is another score with apparently a decent amount of music missing. However, I don't know if what is missing is worth the purchase of another CD. I'd need to see whats missing.

Yes, but that at least has a great bootleg. I'd like to see things like Family Plot and The Screaming Woman.

An expanded version of "The Eiger Sanction"!

It is such a good score, and marks a distinct maturity in John Williams' style.

(Listening to 'Training with George' at the moment!)

i'd say there is a good hour of music that's in the movie but not on the cd. that is a rough estimate though. i haven't seen the movie in a few months. there's forty minutes of music on the cd, and probably one hundred minutes of music in the entire movie. this is a really rough estimate though.