Do you watch old Black and White movies?

JoeinAR

Do you watch old b&w movies?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • no
    • I only watch color films

I am not asking if you like them, you must take each individual film and evaluate it on its own.

Simply do you watch old b&w movies. I don't mean Schindler's List, or any other film that uses b&w as a gimmick of sorts.

And if you say yes, tell us some of your favorites, and why.

Joe, who was pleased Morn mentioned the Bad Seed in another thread, and gave me this idea.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually watch them for three reasons.

Most of the time, they are better than people think.

It reminds me of being with my dad.

When there's nothing else on TV.

I watch them quite a lot, I saw Psycho today :)

And Joe, I haven't even seen The Bad Seed :P As much as I'd like to. I was just refering to the score by Alex North :)

All About Eve, The Defiant Ones, Whatever Happed to Baby Jane?, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

All three viewed in the last two weeks. Great films. They really knew how to make 'em.

The Maltese Falcon

The Big Sleep

Casablanca

Notorious

To Kill a Mocking Bird

Psycho

Tresure of Sierra Madre

Citizen Kane

Metropolis

those are some of my favorites. i can go on and on but i'll stop there... for now

Hell, yes!

City Lights

The General

Potemkin

Nosferatu

Metropolis

Napoleon

The Birth of a Nation

The Black Pirate

The Eagle

King Kong

The Bride of Frankenstein

The Mask of Fu Manchu

White Zombie

Little Caesar

Public Enemy

Double Indemnity

M.

Horsefeathers

Duck Soup

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Prisoner of Zenda

Captain Blood

Gunga Din

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer

The General Died at Dawn

The Mark of Zorro

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Alexander Nevsky

Wuthering Heights

Great Expectations

Oliver Twist

Hobson's Choice

White Heat

The Maltese Falcon

Casablanca

The Big Sleep

Citizen Kane

The Magnificent Ambersons

The Wolfman

It Happened One Night

Bringing Up Baby

Woman of the Year

The Sea Hawk

The Grapes of Wrath

My Darling Clementine

Dodge City

Kings Row

Kiss of Death

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Philadelphia Story

Holiday

Holiday Inn

The Lady Eve

Sullivan's Travels

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Sergeant York

Only Angels Have Wings

It's a Wonderful Life

The Bicycle Thief

Miracle in Milan

Now, Voyager

Deception

To Have and Have Not

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Man Who Came to Dinner

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

The Farmer's Daughter

The Bishop's Wife

Laura

Key Largo

Children of Paradise

Ruy Blas

La Belle et la Bete

Orphee

The Thing

The Sea Wolf

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Gaslight

On Dangerous Ground

On the Waterfront

Spellbound

Notorious

Rebecca

Suspicion

Saboteur

Foreign Correspondent

Strangers on a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

All About Eve

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I Vitelloni

Nights of Cabiria

La Strada

Rashomon

The Seven Samurai

The Seventh Seal

The Virgin Spring

The Devil's Disciple

Yojimbo

Psycho

A Touch of Evil

Cape Fear

Night of the Hunter

Children of the Damned

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

To Kill a Mockingbird

Fail-Safe

Dr. Strangelove

Figo, clearly a man who doesn't watch old movies just "when there's nothing else on TV."

Sure do. Why not?

One of the strangest discussions I ever had was with two friends who say they don't watch B&W movies because they can't believe them. They also don't watch Hitchcock films because they can't believe in characters walking around in clothes like those.

I think many people simply don't know how to watch movies, just like many people obviously don't know how to listen to music.

Morn, and all others I urge you to seek out the Bad Seed, and watch this dark, disturbing, and almost psychotically funny film about true evil in the form of a child. Wonderful stuff.

Search out films that arn't the standard "classics". There are tons of b&w films that are special that arn't Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, or Its a Wonderful Life.

Others to watch are Night of the Hunter with Shelly Winters, and Robert Mitchum. A bit hokey but beautifully shot and with a some real tense moments.

The Man Who Came to Dinner. If you don't think old films can be as funny as those today, try this one. Its shown on tv alot during the holidays because it takes place at Christmas, and as I have said before Monty Wolley and Mary Wickes are hysterical on the screen together. Betty White is great in a comedic role.

Dark Victory is a true chick flick, but its entertaining for the guys, and the end it just upliftingly sad. Sound contridictory, but watch and you'll see I am correct.

And if you have never seen Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein, watch them. Rent and watch, see them as audiences must have seen them back in the 30's. Bride of Frankenstein, is simply at the top of the craft of filmmaking. :P

Rebecca is Hitchcock at his absolute finest. This is a stunningly great film.

Them, is simply the greatest grade B horror film ever made.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is probably the best pre 70's scifi film ever made, and one of the great films of the 50's.

So many of the b&w films were elegantly shot, the cinematography reached a level that few color films even attempt to reach today.

Yes its not something I make a habit of but I have seen several black and white films. It does not bother me that much not having color.

But you do have color. B&W films are not just b&w, they are shades of gray, and white, and black. There are shadows that say more than red or blue, or green seemingly can.

For those who don't know this Wizard of Oz is not a b&w/color hybrid film.

It is a brown and white film. Its called septia tone. Marvelous stuff.

If as many people here watch black and white films as the poll seems to indicate, I wonder why the "favorite scenes" thread is so top-heavy with movies of the post-Star Wars era, when the quality of American filmmaking went into such a steep decline.

If as many people here watch black and white films as the poll seems to indicate, I wonder why the "favorite scenes" thread is so top-heavy with movies of the post-Star Wars era, when the quality of American filmmaking went into such a steep decline.

Because the new filmmakers of today grew up on mtv video's. Attention spans are so short that a movie that takes time developing is boring and not worth the time or effort.

Its really quite sad

It's so obvious when watching a film like The Magnificent Ambersons how much is lacking today in terms of pure technique. Spielberg is one of the only guys around who still knows how to put a shot together, or how to edit a scene. I can't tell you how many "action" films I've seen in the last fifteen years where I can't tell for the life of me where everyone is supposed to be in relation to everyone else, because directors simply don't have a clue how to block out and film a scene. They set it up like a perfume commercial, and then leave the rest to the editor and the soundman and the special effects people, and to the wailing heavy metal guitars on the soundtrack. They get away with so much simply by overwhelming an audience's senses. I don't know if there's anyone else around who could have pulled off the Omaha Beach landing in SPR.

A few of my favorite B&W films:

King Kong

Mighty Joe Young

Gojira (1954)

Psycho

Beast from 20000 Fathoms

Them!

Dr. Strangelove

Lolita

and pretty much every other movie mentioned on this thread.

I think there's a difference, though slight. You're mentioning favorite scenes, which for me all exist post-1980. As far as movies go, the same holds simply because I was raised in the MTV era. For my brother, who is 10 years older, he frequently talks about all those B movies he loved going to when he was younger, and how he loved watching the Irwin allen disaster flm son the big screen. So it has some effect on your generation.

But, the best movies created....a good lot of them are from the 1950-1970 golden age. And even those from the MTV era could agree with that.

Jeff -- who is going to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- definitely belonging to the aforementioned best movies list -- tonight

How old do you think I am? The difference is probably the fact that I grew up before the cable explosion. At the time of my childhood in the 1970s, old movies were shown on TV with regularity, so I kind of grew up with classics of the '30s and '40s, just as some of you guys grew up with Jurassic Park. To me, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Star Wars were equally "contemporary" experiences.

Then again, if that weren't the case, I still like to think I would have had the good taste to recognize how great the old films were.

It sorta like Star Wars is Coke or Pepsi

While Attack of the Clones is Sam Choice. They don't taste the same.

Old b&w movies is like good ole home cooking, while so many of the new movies are made from tofu. It might have a nice shape and form, but it lacks any real taste of its own.

I love the old black and white movies! I grew up watching the old Errol Flynn swashbuckling movies (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk) and the Astaire/Rogers musicals (Top Hat, The Gay Divorcee). As a child I watched because they were fun. As an adult I can appreciate the more technical aspects and still find them fun to watch!

p.s. Great list Figo!

Mari

:mrgreen: Violin Concerto 1 (Sibelius)

Kurosawa and Mizoguchi in b&w (Yojimbo, etc.), Paths of Glory, Psycho, Andrei Rublev, Bronenosez Potemkin, and............................................................................................................Frankenheimer's THE TRAIN. :flamebob:

All About Eve, ......Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

All three viewed in the last two weeks. Great films. They really knew how to make 'em.

And those 2 have great scores :mrgreen:

Citizen Kane

Herrmann! ;) And perhaps the best movie ever! Way better than that Casablanca tripe :)

Captain Blood

I saw that a few weeks ago, seemed childish but a lot of fun :)

Gunga Din

Not bad, I much prefer Indy 2 though :)

The Day the Earth Stood Still

They sure don't make UFO films like they used to :)

One of the strangest discussions I ever had was with two friends who say they don't watch B&W movies because they can't believe them. They also don't watch Hitchcock films because they can't believe in characters walking around in clothes like those.

Sounds like a very ignorant statement, they merely need to get used to them.

Search out films that arn't the standard "classics". There are tons of b&w films that are special that arn't Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, or Its a Wonderful Life.

Seem em all but It's a Wonderful Life.

Style equals scenes, old films equal clever stories. Plus, people are more familar with newer films.

To the 3 that said no, you really should explain yourself, that way we don't think of you as losers.

Joe, who thinks that they ARE losers. LOL

They are losers. That's why they are wise not to reveal themselves.

Morn, on the other hand, is a brazen loser, and he doesn't care who knows it. He seems to think a film like Casablanca is inferior to Citizen Kane. Why? Because the latter is more artfully done? Sure, Orson Welles was a frigging genius -- he was 25 when he made Kane -- and it is one of the most impressive American movies ever, but comparing it to Casablanca is like saying Michelangelo is better than that hack N.C. Wyeth. Granted, Casablanca was crafted as popular entertainment, but it is none the worse for that. Michael Curtiz was one of the most efficient and chameleonic directors in Hollywood. Not only was he responsible for Casablanca -- a great film -- but he directed innumerable classics starring Bogart, Errol Flynn, Bette Davis, James Cagney, John Wayne and many more. In fact, an impressive ratio of the films he helmed have passed on into legend. Captain Blood, Anthony Adverse (uncredited), The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Adventures of Robin Hood (replaced William Keighley), Dodge City, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, The Sea Wolf, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Casablanca, Mildred Pierce and The Comancheros. That's as good a record as anyone working today, and better than most.

I saw [Captain Blood] a few weeks ago, seemed childish but a lot of fun.

You mean, like Star Wars? LOL

[Gunga Din was] not bad, I much prefer Indy 2 though.

ROTFL

They sure don't make UFO films like they used to

At least, not since CE3K and E.T..

Sounds like a very ignorant statement...

That's the pot calling the kettle black!

...they merely need to get used to them.

:roll:

Style equals scenes, old films equal clever stories.

This is quite possibly the most ignorant statement in a truly impressive stream of ignorance. Yes, a very high percentage of old films -- certainly higher than those today -- sport clever stories. But for all their sound and fury, very few modern movies can match the style of Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, or even Casablanca, and that's a fact. Watch Casablanca again, Morn, and pay attention to how it's put together. Considering the cast and crew didn't know from one day to the next what rewrites would be coming their way, the film is a goddam masterpiece. Great cast, great characters, moving story, incredible atmosphere and cinematography, memorable music, fascinating special effects -- a real classic in every respect.

Before you go doling out judgments, Morn, you might want to know a thing or two about what it is you are criticizing. You can't go through life tossing off comments like "Tchaikovsky is overrated, try Prokofiev," and expect to be taken seriously.

Kurosawa rocks!!!!!

Figo, Sanjuro of words.

In addition to Figo's massive list, the majority of which I've seen and of which ...Earth Stood Still is my fav, especially for Herrmann's cutting edge score, here are 10 more wonderful B&W titles:

Le Voyage dans la lune (Georges Méliès, 1902)

Tell Your Children (aka Reefer Madness, Louis J. Gasnier, 1936)

Hellzapoppin (H.C. Potter, 1941)

Zemlya (aka Earth, Aleksandr Dovzhenko, 1930)

The Shape of Things To Come (aka Things To Come, William Cameron Menzies, 1936)

The 39 Steps (Hitchcock, 1935)

Sullivan's Travels (Preston Sturges, 1942)

A bout de souffle (aka Breathless, Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)

The Misfits (Huston, 1961)

Black Like Me (Carl Lerner, 1964) - more notorious than great

If you'd like, I could waste another fifteen minutes of my life listing more.

Figo, who watched After the Thin Man before bed.

Not a great movie, but extremely entertaining. The Coen brothers would be in heaven.

Are you serious? Some of the best films I have ever seen are B&W.

including:

All About Eve

Captain Blood

Philadelphia Story

Bringing Up Baby

Sabrina

Roman Holiday

Now Voyager

Casablanca

Woman Of The Year

The Women

Desk Set

The African Queen

The Sea Hawk

Pride and Prejudice

Holiday

Sullivans Travels

Laura

Vertigo

Key Largo

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Too many to list....

He seems to think a film like Casablanca is inferior to Citizen Kane.

Now hang on, I don't ever remember saying inferior. All I remember saying is that I like Citizen Kane a whole lot more. And my reasons are not that Citizen Kane is more artful, if you notice my list of favourite movies, it's a mix of artful and entertainment films.

You mean, like Star Wars?

Yes :| But takes it's self a little less seriously.

At least, not since CE3K and E.T..

Ohh, maybe, it's smarter than ET and better than CE3K, in my opinion :|

But for all their sound and fury, very few modern movies can match the style of Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, or even Casablanca, and that's a fact.

Sound and fury is what I am talking about. Modern films tend to have more jazzy visuals and more fury. That means you get scenes that are over done. Citizen Kane might have a great style, but it doesn't over do it.

great characters

Which??? Perhaps great for one liners.

moving story

LOL

incredible atmosphere

Bah, it was bleak and strange, I disliked it. Plus I thought the film had an over done romance that was sort of... too grand and set up to feel real so that you could relate to it. Infact, the film had too much style and that made it impersonal, for me at least. I just couldn't relate to it at all, nor could I related to the characters in it, they clashed with me in some way. Except for the pianoist :) But I must say, I've only seen it once. And a while ago.

Before you go doling out judgments, Morn, you might want to know a thing or two about what it is you are criticizing. You can't go through life tossing off comments like "Tchaikovsky is overrated, try Prokofiev," and expect to be taken seriously

I didn't expect to be taken seriously. It was just my subjective opinion.

No, Morn, I believe you said:

Way better than that Casablanca tripe

That would seem to indicate you think Kane "superior." Stick to your guns, worm.

You want jazzy visuals? I think Citizen Kane is one of the most over-the-top films ever made. Also, A Touch of Evil. Orson Welles was not exactly one for understatement. You're mistaking that technological overload I mentioned earlier with genuine intensity. The older directors had more craft at their fingertips. They knew how to manipulate every aspect of the filmmaking process to achieve the effect they wanted. They didn't have the razor-sharp editing we have today, or the we'll-touch-it-up-later-on-the-computer attitude. These guys were elegant craftsmen. It's the difference between buying a home back then, and one built today. Everything now is fast, cheap, and out-of-control. Nobody needs to lavish any care over anything, as long as it gets done. Why bother with such niceties as story in your summer blockbuster, as long as it's ready for release in May? The masses will line up around the block to guzzle whatever vomit is churned out for the next few weeks, the studios will make their money, and then it's on to the next product.

You think Casablanca is more stylized than Citizen Kane? Are you serious? Are you sure you are applying the descriptions "strange" and "bleak" to the right film? Every character in Casablanca is unforgettable. It features the quintessential Bogart cynic-with-a-heart-of-gold, a nefarious Sidney Greenstreet, a weasly, proto-Buscemi Peter Lorre, and Claude Rains in one of his best roles. If you don't like the atmosphere, you must really hate Raiders of the Lost Ark. The sequences in Nepal and Cairo remind me very much of Casablanca. You criticize the grandeur of the romantic elements, and yet I can think of few characters in the entire history of cinema grander than Charles Foster Kane. "Strange" and "bleak" are terms I would more likely apply to the blockbuster hits of today, like Robocop, Highlander, Total Recall, The Crow, Starship Troopers, Blade and A.I.. There is nothing ennobling in any one of these. There is a tragic grandeur to Kane, and the resolution of Casablanca is one of the most cathartic in all of movies.

I seriously think you need to see these films again.

Because the new filmmakers of today grew up on mtv video's. Attention spans are so short that a movie that takes time developing is boring and not worth the time or effort.
Its really quite sad

It's more than just that though... the other explanation (equally valid I think) is that that's what people see. Most people make regular treks to the movie theater, and it's rare that you'll see an old movie played.

I've seen (somewhat recently; i.e. in the last year) Casablanca, A Night To Remember, and To Kill a Mockingbird, and perhaps another one. I don't see many movies period, so my B&W list is even smaller.

I should also mention that I refuse to watch colorized versions of B&W movies. In fact the sole reason I didn't get the To Kill a Mockingbird DVD shortly after watching it is because I thought it was only avaliable in a colorized version (but looking at the Amazon page now to make sure, I'm not so sure; anyone have this?).

The Longest Day....oh wait, that's not B&W.

Ummmm yeah it is.

BTW dude nothing personal but could you go back to that smaller sig pic you had before? I am not trying to bust your chops or anything. I just feel there should be a limit on how large a sig pic should be. Thank you. :|

I've seen a colour version of The Longest Day. Must have been colourised.

That would seem to indicate you think Kane "superior." Stick to your guns, worm.

Yes, but only in a subjective way.

You're mistaking that technological overload I mentioned earlier with genuine intensity.

Not quite, I am suggesting that others do :)

You think Casablanca is more stylized than Citizen Kane? Are you serious?

The difference is that Citizen Kane is totally another world. Casablanca makes ordinary things highly stylized.

If you don't like the atmosphere, you must really hate Raiders of the Lost Ark. The sequences in Nepal and Cairo remind me very much of Casablanca.

My least favourite Indy movie. And there are parts of it that I find quite dull.

"Strange" and "bleak" are terms I would more likely apply to the blockbuster hits of today, like Robocop, Highlander, Total Recall, The Crow, Starship Troopers, Blade and A.I.. There is nothing ennobling in any one of these.

It's the type of strange of bleakness though :devil: Casablanca has this... nostalgia mixed with bleakness.. uck.

Geez....i'm surrounded by ignorants here.

OFF COURSE The Longest Day in a B&W film.

But it was one of those films that fel victim to that colorization fad in the late 80's, early 90's (if i'm not mistaken)

Ted Turner has a lot to anwser for.

Stefancos- who finds colorization....distracting.

I should also mention that I refuse to watch colorized versions of B&W movies. In fact the sole reason I didn't get the To Kill a Mockingbird DVD shortly after watching it is because I thought it was only avaliable in a colorized version (but looking at the Amazon page now to make sure, I'm not so sure; anyone have this?).

I, too, refuse to watch colorized films. I figure any movie made after 1935 (or so) could have been made in color, so if it wasn't there was probably a reason for it (granted, most of the time the reason would be money-- that's why Kevin Smith's Clerks was done in b/w).

If the movie is good, why not see it? The people that refuse to watch b/w movies, citing the "fakeness" of it need to be informed about an exchange that Hitchcock had. He was told that he needed music under a scene that took place in a lifeboat. His argument against it was that there was no explanation of where the orchestra was. The counter argument: When you explain how the camera got out there to film it, I'll explain the orchestra.

Quite frankly, I prefer b/w photography. (Not color with the color drained out.) A few years back when some family members were strongly encouraging me to give them recent photos of myself, I had them taken in b/w. I wanted a noir look.

I do have To Kill a Mockingbird on DVD. Universal catalogue number 20252. The film is presented in b/w. Even the "Making of" with modern interviews is presented in b/w. An isolated score would have been nice.

bruckhorn, who has met Elmer Bernstein and told him that I wished I had footage of him conducting when I got kicked out of conducting class for wanting to do it left handed.

I figure any movie made after 1935 (or so) could have been made in color, so if it wasn't there was probably a reason for it (granted, most of the time the reason would be money-- that's why Kevin Smith's Clerks was done in b/w).

I can't verify this, but I bet that color film for some time after that was too grainy for a good picture. So it wasn't necessarily that the directors said "black and white, or color?" It could have been "good looking black and white, or crummy color?" (Again, I don't know; this is intuition)

If the movie is good, why not see it?

Of course.

Quite frankly, I prefer b/w photography.

I think it depends on what you're looking at. Ususally for movies, I find b&w distracting. For stills, both have their advantages.

I do have To Kill a Mockingbird on DVD. Universal catalogue number 20252. The film is presented in b/w. Even the "Making of" with modern interviews is presented in b/w. An isolated score would have been nice.

All right! Thank you! (:Chants "Must go buy DVD... Must go buy DVD... Must go...":)

bruckhorn, who has met Elmer Bernstein and told him that I wished I had footage of him conducting when I got kicked out of conducting class for wanting to do it left handed.

Lucky duck. :| (About the meeting E.B. part; not the getting kicked out of conducting part...)

So you're a lefty? Welcome to the club. :(

Bad colour is better than great B&W in my experience :music:

That makes you a total loser then Morn.

If you can't see the beauty of black and white, then how sad for you.

Besides my 20+ odd B&W movies, here are some of the classics that were neglected to be mentioned here:

SUNSET BOULEVARD....sheer class

SOME LIKE IT HOT....so does Alma

THE FORTUNE COOKIE

LOLITA

THEM!

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE

THE 3 STOOGES MOVIES

THE LAUREL & HARDY COLLECTION

THE CHARLIE CHAPLIN COLLECTION.....too numerous to mention

THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT....the original "ALIEN"

SHOWGIRLS (that was in color, Hitch)

The person who stated that VERTIGO was a black and white should be strung up by his buster browns LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hitch :music: JW's CELLO CONCERTO

That's because they're both about perverted sexual realtionships. Careful, boy -- I believe you're falling prey to the Grainger legacy.