Max Steiner Award 2013: James Horner in Vienna

Marian Schedenig

According to Hollywood in Vienna's latest Facebook announcement, James Horner will receive the Max Steiner this year and therefore presumably be the special guest at this year's film music symposium and the concert on October 4.

I wonder if I should ask him to sign my Prokofiev CDs?

He happens to be left as one of the big 'old style' symphonic composers. I am happy for him, and I think it is well deserved after all.

I just wonder when JW will get his one??

If he gets one I doubt he would be willing to fly out to Austria to collect it.

Attendance is kind of a requirement at this sort of thing usually....

I can imagine him being to modest to agree too collect it, instead promoting other composers.

As far as I know, JW's refusal to travelling is indeed the reason why they haven't given him the award yet. Though I don't see why they can't just award him in absentia.

When Barry was too ill to collect the award and cancelled just a few days before the concert, Arnold stepped in and received it on Barry's behalf.

A half Williams-themed concert could easily sell out.

And I think they did consider awarding Williams even without his personal presence. Given the current state of film music, and his popularity (Hollywood in Vienna is VERY audience focused), I think they can't ignore him forever, and it would be more appropriate to award him while he is still alive and healthy.

I wonder if I should ask him to sign my Prokofiev CDs?

That made me ROTFLMAO

I think it is pretty clear that Horner could really write some amazing music in his earlier days. I find that as it gets into the mid to late 90s, not so much. Does anyone have any speculation on why that may be. It's like his style completely changed, but not necessarily for the better. Or perhaps he was becoming more mature by looking to be more simple. I look at Wrath of Khan and Willow.... and then I look at Titanic... it's like it's two different people. Braveheart was good, though. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

How old is he now anyway?

I DO think that if he appears as a guest, they should show Captain EO as a tribute... ;)

It's likely that Horner will not only collect the award, but also conduct a piece or two -- should he decide to come.

I will do everything in my power to be there -- also because I've never been to Vienna and Austria (I have a goal to visit every country in Europe during my lifetime).

It's customary for the awardee to conduct one of his own pieces at this event. Shore, Silvestri and Schifrin all did it. Barry would have, had he been here, but Arnold stepped in for him.

If Horner comes, i'll be there. Sneaky bastard i am i will bring STAR TREK TMP and Britten-WAR REQUIEM cds for the autograph qeue.

Why would you bring the ST TMP CD to a Horner signing?

If Horner comes, i'll be there. Sneaky bastard i am i will bring STAR TREK TMP and Britten-WAR REQUIEM cds for the autograph qeue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWihpHCVXug

Has he conducted a major orchestra like the LSO or LA Phil in a concert before?

I don't think he has ever conducted the LSO in a concert to date, but a little bird told me that he has been invited before (which is no great surprise really).

Has he conducted a major orchestra like the LSO or LA Phil in a concert before?

I don't think he has ever conducted the LSO in a concert to date, but a little bird told me that he has been invited before (which is no great surprise really).

That's a shame. He could have a career doing concerts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWihpHCVXug

I can't stop laughing!

A half Williams-themed concert could easily sell out.

And I think they did consider awarding Williams even without his personal presence. Given the current state of film music, and his popularity (Hollywood in Vienna is VERY audience focused), I think they can't ignore him forever, and it would be more appropriate to award him while he is still alive and healthy.

Well, in the end it would be a bit odd not to give him the award just because he cannot collect it in person. I think they should hurry.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone with any past experience of these 'Hollywood In Vienna' concerts know when tickets are likely to go on sale?

I've sent a couple of emails to the organisers and not received a response.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Sometime in spring usually. If you're on Facebook, they'll do an announcement when the tickets are available.

Thanks for that. Not on Facebook so I'll have to take the website's advice and 'Stay tuned'.

Do you know if tickets tend to sell out quickly?

I've tried to contact them too -- for other issues -- but no response. It doesn't seem to be a very "well-oiled" machinery, this Vienna thing.

Hi all,

Here's the programme for the evening:

http://hollywoodinvienna.com/en/programme

Looks fantastic.

I also received an email from Konzerthaus Box Office who said ticket sales for the concert will start "next week"; they were, rather frustratingly, no more precise than that.

Does anyone have any idea how quickly tickets have sold out in recent years?

Thanks.

I will be there if I get tickets (I'm afraid they will sell out while I'm at work or something). Also, it's difficult to get good seats on this one, as they clock in at a whopping 125 Euros!!! Even the cheapest of the cheapest are about 40 Euros. Still, I guess it's worth it if Horner himself will be there.

Staying vigilant from Monday and onwards.

According to their facebook post, tickets should go on sale on Monday.

They should last a couple of weeks, I think, but I wouldn't wait too long. I got them pretty much right away the last years, so I haven't watched too closely when exactly they sell out.

I usually get tickets up on the balcony. Great view and sound for a moderate price.

I'd get some tickets for a moderate price, because there are enough expenses as is. There's Krakow film music festival on September 26-29th, then this and then Danny Elfman on October 7th in London. Looks like a busy two week film music holiday!

You're saying the balcony tickets are a good catch then, Marian?

Karol

According to their facebook post, tickets should go on sale on Monday.

They should last a couple of weeks, I think, but I wouldn't wait too long. I got them pretty much right away the last years, so I haven't watched too closely when exactly they sell out.

I usually get tickets up on the balcony. Great view and sound for a moderate price.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know they're unlikely to go within 24 hours based on your previous experience but I'm going be on this from Monday for sure.

Another thing...

Earlier posts seem to suggest that, as in Ghent, there may be autograph/photo opportunities. Is that right?

Promise this is my last 'Hollywood in Vienna'/'What can I expect?' question.

Thanks.

Associated with the concert there's the Vienna Film Music Symposium, usually a few days before the concerts. It has interviews, presentations and discussions with the concert's star guests and people from the industry (mostly the Austrian film and music industry, but some international guests are there as well - last year they got Nick Redman to do a talk and to interview Lalo Schifrin). There's usually a chance to catch these people in between sessions for a quick talk or autograph, but for the last few years they've been setting up dedicated signing sessions for the star guests. That should be your best chance for a Horner autograph, unless you can perhaps catch him during the rehearsals (if he's there at all).

Tickets ordered. What a weekend I have in store -- first Horner in Vienna on Friday, then Elfman in London on the following Monday!

Tickets ordered. What a weekend I have in store -- first Horner in Vienna on Friday, then Elfman in London on the following Monday!

Likewise. Really excited about both events but the Vienna one features a few firsts for me: the Vienna orchestra, what seems to be an amazing concert hall in every sense of the word and Horner material (I've not heard one piece of his live before).