Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

It's in the movie. Being a 'blade runner' gives Deckard certain benefits, which can be taken away, if he doesn't do what he's told.

Yes. "If you're not cop you're little people." And from the narration. "But then I'd rather be a killer than a victim. And that's exactly what Bryant's threat about little people meant."

I have nothing against the narration but a writer (a TV writer) was brought in last minute to come up with some lines right before the recording session with Harrison Ford. What he wrote was nothing but his personal interpretation. It wasn't approved by the film writers or the director. It was however greenlighted by executive producer Katy Haber, who was the only one there at the time. To be honest, I haven't seen the OT in decades and have completely forgotten about it. Nice to hear people still know the lines by heart!

e9vza7x0h7pb1-2.jpg

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, dear. Quoting the narration. Alex isn't going to be happy :lol:

I love the damn narration. And amusingly when I was "checking my work" I found a thread where people were asking what the "cop and little people" bit meant. Because they'd never seen the original movie! (They probably think Greedo shot first!)

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I have nothing against the narration but a writer (a TV writer) was brought in last minute to come up with some lines right before the recording session with Harrison Ford. What he wrote was nothing but his personal interpretation. It wasn't approved by the film writers or the director. It was however greenlighted by executive producer Katy Haber, who was the only one there at the time. To be honest, I haven't seen the OT in decades and have completely forgotten about it. Nice to hear people still know the lines by heart!

The two lines I use to get into my "Harrison Ford voice" are "Well if they follow standard Imperial procedure..." and "Sushi. That's what my ex wife called me. Cold fish." Oh, and "A competitor. He was good. He was very very good." Three. Three lines.

There are parts where the narration really works. Other parts where it needs to go. But not all of it.

And of course the original ending flying over the countryside is garbage. At least we can all agree on that.

I was in a skit one time where I played a ridiculously over the top censor who comes in and causes problems for a guy trying to sing Old Man River. I didn't realize it until a friend came and saw the show that I had pretty much lifted Ford's fellow from the Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses.

What I didn't realize until years later that Ford pretty much lifted the character from Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep. "Would you happen to have a Ben
Hur 1860?"

So, see? Narration! It's SUPPOSED to sound like sci-fi Raymond Chandler!

I have to go with the Final Cut. It's a question of Ups vs. Downs.

Though, to be fair, I've never been able to give the Final Cut my undivided attention the way I have the other cuts. So I don't really know if there are any changes that particularly irk me.

The FC is the only cut that has been completely restored, which isn't fair to the previous cuts, which have only been remastered. 

The best version is still the one I saw in Ciné Rubens in 1982, the 70mm blow-up of the International Theatrical Cut.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

I've never seen the Workprint.

Don't bother. I bought the box set, in 2007, and I've never been able to sit through the Workprint.

It's like listening to demos of your favourite songs. Thanks, but I'd rather see the finished article.

• 4 weeks later...

Trivia: Did you know that the unicorn scene (cut from the TC) was filmed by Brian Tufano, cinematographer of Trainspotting? No? Well, you do now! 

blade-runner-1982-63.gif

1 hour ago, A24 said:

Trivia: Did you know that the unicorn scene (cut from the TC) was filmed by Brian Tufano, cinematographer of Trainspotting? No? Well, you do now! 

blade-runner-1982-63.gif

And did you know that the unicorn in Blade Runner is not the same as the one in Legend? ;)

1 hour ago, JTW said:

And did you know that the unicorn in Blade Runner is not the same as the one in Legend? ;)

Why would the unicorn footage come from Legend when Brian Tufano shot it for Blade Runner in 1981? 

36 minutes ago, A24 said:

Why would the unicorn footage come from Legend when Brian Tufano shot it for Blade Runner in 1981? 

That’s what I’m saying: Why would the unicorn in BR be the same as the one in Legend? They are two different unicorns. 

On 19/09/2023 at 1:35 PM, Tallguy said:

I was in a skit one time where I played a ridiculously over the top censor who comes in and causes problems for a guy trying to sing Old Man River. I didn't realize it until a friend came and saw the show that I had pretty much lifted Ford's fellow from the Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses.

That skit was originally performed on " The Stan Freberg Show" on radio in the 1950' s!

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

That skit was originally performed on " The Stan Freberg Show" on radio in the 1950' s!

It's funny, but in the '50s, this kind of sketch was pushing the envelope, was risky, and was very relevant.

Audiences would have gotten the obvious references.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's funny, but in the '50s, this kind of sketch was pushing the envelope, was risky, and was very relevant.

Audiences would have gotten the obvious references.

It's still relevant !

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, JTW said:

That’s what I’m saying: Why would the unicorn in BR be the same as the one in Legend? They are two different unicorns. 

But at the same time it was a test to see if they could pull off a convincing unicorn for Legend, Scott's next project. Did you know that? Well, you do now! ;)