What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Mindhunter Season 1, Episode 1

Meh. Decent enough, I suppose. Solid cast (although I'm not sure how I feel about the vulnerable Groff), decent Fincher look and there are some nice 70s dynamics and history lessons being fed here. But it all comes off as Zodiac-lite really, without the nail-biting tension or atmosphere. Might make a decent binge, if given the time, but "Golden Age" material, it ain't.

So I'm aware! But every now and then, we get something special (The LeftoversTwin Peaks S3, etc).

This one seemed to have a lot of hype, but its just more of the same functional TV drama.

8 minutes ago, KK said:

So I'm aware, but every now and then, we get something special (The LeftoversTwin Peaks S3, etc).

This one seemed to have a lot of hype, but its just more of the same functional TV drama.

Sounds like a Netflix original!  The only Netflix I've watched that had anything interesting about it ambition-wise was Sense8 but that buckled under the weight of its own wackadoo-ness.  Everything else is overhyped.  Including The OA before Jay even speaks up.

Admittedly, I haven’t watched Stranger Things, the most famous Netflix show (except maybe House of Cards)

12 minutes ago, KK said:

Mindhunter Season 1, Episode 1

Meh. Decent enough, I suppose. Solid cast (although I'm not sure how I feel about the vulnerable Groff), decent Fincher look and there are some nice 70s dynamics and history lessons being fed here. But it all comes off as Zodiac-lite really, without the nail-biting tension or atmosphere. Might make a decent binge, if given the time, but "Golden Age" material, it ain't.

I'm not racing to see this show (which I only learned existed today), but must everything be of "golden age" quality in order to be even considered as investment material these days? That would mean the absolute wealth of decent also-rans, B-series and overlooked gems available right now wouldn't even be given a cursory glance/chance. And now and then, rubbish first tries get better over time anyway! Indeed; merely flawed first ventures do this, quite often. 

Not at all, no. There are plenty of shows I'm invested in that I don't consider to be "golden age" material. But something about Mindhunter reminds me of the lesser seasons of House of Cards. Watchable, but not terribly interesting. It's like Silence of the Lambs made for the Netflix generation, without the weight of its predecessor's drama and intrigue. But maybe I should give another episode a chance before I pass judgement.

I agree with Quint. If you expect everything to be one of the best shows ever made and are disappointed when it isn't, you're Alexcremers.

This show isn't trying to be some spectacular new game changer, it's trying to shed light on the guys who figured out what serial killers are and methods to try to catch them, and dramatising it instead of doing it as a doc.

Also, like most all shows made by Netflix, they kind of assume you're gonna binge it or at least watch more than one before judging; network TV shows focus rally hard on creating a strong pilot that hooks you with a big moment. Netflix generally tries to have a strong entire season, without worrying about any individual episode standing on it's own.

And in the particular case of Mindhunter, the third main character isn't even introduced until episode 3.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I caught up with the new Curb season yesterday.  Not bad.  Some prett-ay funny parts.  Noticed that Oscar-winning composer Justin Hurwitz had a co-writing credit on the pickle jar episode.

This caught my eye as well, but just assumed it was a different Justin Hurwitz. 

Just now, Koray Savas said:

This caught my eye as well, but just assumed it was a different Justin Hurwitz. 

I assume it’s him.  He has a few other comedy writing credits, like for The League.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I assume it’s him.  He has a few other comedy writing credits, like for The League.

I just checked IMDb and he’s credited there as supervising producer, so it must be him. Jack of all trades!

Again, I don't expect all TV to be the greatest TV ever. Most of what I watch obviously isn't. I just used the "golden age" thing as a throwaway phrase anyway. But Mindhunter doesn't seem all that intriguing, and I came in expecting more based on all the positive press and the way it was marketed.

I will watch a few more eps, which I'm sure will help. The pilot just wasn't that great.

I saw his name in the episode too and of course it's the same guy. He wrote a Simpsons episode a few years back too.

One thing I thought was weak about the latest episode was the payoff to the Tesla/beep stuff. The first scene when it happens to Larry was of course great and introduced the cop, and was a classic Curb moment. But instead of it tying back into the main story at the end in some crazy way, it was just Ted Danson getting randomly beat up. Ok... 

The episode had more of the old Curb's observational humour, which I enjoyed. I did think David's big speech in the court room was more over-the-top than I would like.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Has anyone seen Taboo? Looks Golden Age!

It was not awful but then, it wasn't particularly noteworthy, either. Great production values.

7 hours ago, KK said:

It's like Silence of the Lambs made for the Netflix generation, 

If ever ever a description was to put me off something it's this! 

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s not classic Curb but it’s still fun.

Episode 1 was for me. The following two were totally watchable but indeed lesser instalments, in the big Curb pantheon. 

I guess I can't get into this Curb analysis you guys are doing here.  

I mean, I've just watched every episode of the show and enjoyed each one *shrug*

I'm not tracking the highs and lows, just enjoying the ride.  Out of all the shows I put on the telly each week, this one makes me laugh the most, and that's enough for me.

I was thinking about this the other day. Any new show/revival has to run the forum analysis gauntlet these days, unfairly. Seasons 1-8 of Curb didn't have to hold up to the same level of pack scrutiny as S9 does, even though there are lesser and even bad episodes in earlier seasons. There was no running commentary about them on here though. 

Challenges for TV in 2017.

I actually don't even think of this season of Curb as any kind of "revival" in my head whatsoever.  It's just another season.  Sure, there was a bit of a longer than usual gap between seasons, but any worries that things would be different were set aside right in the season premiere when everything was right back to status quo.

I really enjoyed seeing Rich Fulcher as the restaurant host who answers questions without answering them in the last episode.

Snuff Box is still one of my favorite sketch shows

I saw that Paul Hollywood has a show where he wants to be Jeremy Clarkson or something.  Why would I want to watch that guy do anything but baking-related stuff?  He's not exactly wildly entertaining.