What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's not fantasy, it's not fake GOT (it's based on a series of historical fiction books by Bernard Cornwell), and it's not a Netflix production. It's already been airing here in the UK on BBC Two for a while.

It's pretty good. Not great, but good. And it does feel more like Vikings than GOT (mainly because Vikings figure prominently in the series).

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've been getting Vikings recommended to me for years by people I know, but I just can't. Not at the moment. But one day...

I can't stand the soprano voice of the main character.

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Both people say the same thing: "it's better than Game of Thrones, Lee". 

Both of those people are wrong! Vikings is good, but it's not in the same league as GOT in terms of story, character, acting or production values. GOT is just far more entertaining.

Not really, not for me at least anyway. On the occasion when it has been really focused, Game of Thrones can be great and - with its budget - unlike anything else on TV. But it can also, quite frequently, be a turd of a show. It's easily the most inconsistent thing on the box that I've stuck with (purely because of its big showdown hook). 

No doubt, GOT can be inconsistent (especially the last couple seasons).  And I think it's fair to say that Vikings is more consistent in terms of quality. But that's just because, IMO, at its best it's not as entertaining as an average episode of GOT. Overall, I think GOT is the better show...though Vikings is still very good.

I'm really looking forward to the final season of Game of Thrones. It's bound to be thrilling (due to the promise of the long-awaited big showdown) and because I can finally be done with it.

I'm easily just as hyped for the return of Better Call Saul though. But I'll be sad when that show eventually reaches its conclusion.

I know, and I've heard good things about it.

Life is just too short, and there's only so much time!  I'm trying to figure out which shows I already watch I can ditch!

I’ve stuck with Walking Dead. Though I agree it’s seen better days. Maybe after this season, I’ll use the major cast and story changes as a good time to break from it.

The Terror is still high on my list, but I’m going to wait until at least December to watch. Watching that in this weather’s just wrong.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Whoa.

Fargo season 4 has been announced, and it's going to star Chris Rock.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/chris-rock-fargo-season-4-fx-1202894560/

Well that is quite odd news indeed!

On 8/5/2018 at 9:22 AM, Nick1066 said:

It's pretty good. Not great, but good. And it does feel more like Vikings than GOT (mainly because Vikings figure prominently in the series).

I watched the first two episodes of The Last Kingdom and, yes, I'm getting a familiar Vikings feeling. Too bad Rutger Hauer's role is already 'over and out'.

lastkingdom3_3468575b.jpg

As a huge Star Wars fan, I feel obliged to watch Rebels. I'll be giving it a shot starting next week. I did the Clone Wars (that was fun) a few years back. Is Rebels any good?

Eh, it's childish fanservice. The Clone Wars began terribly and grew into a great show, Rebels is stuck halfway between TCW S01's worst and S03 when it started to get good, and never grows into anything better.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Fuck man! Some people want to watch this show maybe.

Yeah, right! I can spoil shows who nobody watches, Steef.

44 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I didn't get much out of BLL but it was more entertaining than Sharp Objects, which may as well be called "Slashed Wrists".

Except for The Bold And The Beautiful, Twin Peaks and Star Trek, no other TV show seems to be doing it for you. And yet almost every movie that you review ranges from fine to brilliant. What is it that you seek in a TV show, Drax? Heck, while we're at it, what do you hope to get out of movies?

There's nothing wrong with indulging in enthusiasm sometimes.  I don't think of the opinions I post here as some kind of missives for posterity that I'd better be prepared to stand behind for eternity.  If I thought something was amazing at the time and later cooled on it, what's the problem?

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Except for The Bold And The Beautiful, Twin Peaks and Star Trek, no other TV show seems to be doing it for you. And yet almost every movie that you review ranges from fine to brilliant. What is it that you seek in a TV show, Drax? Heck, while we're at it, what do you hope to get out of movies?

Drax is a movie person. You were one, once.

Old movies can be great, you know.

20 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Doubtful I did. I've been careful to avoid the word ever since indy4 kept overusing it about a decade ago.

Drax, whether you think it's truly brilliant isn't really the point. Generally speaking, you're quite positive about movies you've seen. Even when people say they watched a bad movie, you're the first one to say: "It was alright", as if movies can't do nothing wrong. But can you name one TV show, outside the ones I've listed, that you can stomach? 

And don't say it's MacGyver!

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Drax, whether you think it's truly brilliant isn't really the point. Generally speaking, you're quite positive about movies you've seen. Even when people say they watched a bad movie, you're the first one to say: "It was alright", as if movies can't do nothing wrong. But can you name one TV show, outside the ones I've listed, that you can stomach? 

And don't say it's MacGyver!

Actually most movies I watch don't move me at all but I try to recognise that they're not completely without merit. I might report that I just watched some cheesy Lifetime TV movie - sure it might have been bad production value, but it might have been entertaining enough to keep me around for roughly 90 minutes. I try to avoid the polarised "IT WAS AWFUL!/IT WAS BRILLIANT!" overreactions that seem to be prevalent on the internet.

Yeah, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, The X-Files, Seaquest DSV, Buffy, Angel, Married With Children, Boston Legal, War of the Worlds, etc.

Like how a lot of girlies only really like 'mainstream' RnB and romcoms for their chillout sesh, Drax only really likes his 'geeky' sci-fi and cult fandom mediums for his. The personal taste limitations of which are obvious.