The Official Abel Korzeniowski thread

Neimoidian

What is a "go-to" composer?

A composer to whom directors/producers go if they want certain skills appropriate for a certain type of movie.

• 2 weeks later...

new film score of Korzeniowski for a fantasy drama, "Escape from Tomorrow".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/

seems like a medium to low budget, with unknown actors and a first time director.

What are they doing there in Hollywood?

Are they allergic towards exceptional music talent??

Pffff....

new film score of Korzeniowski for a fantasy drama, "Escape from Tomorrow".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/

seems like a medium to low budget, with unknown actors and a first time director.

What are they doing there in Hollywood?

Are they allergic towards exceptional music talent??

Pffff....

Yes, they are. You can make a shitty score for an expensive and high-grossing movie and you'll be hired for the next one. You can write some of best music in the last couple of years for small, independend pictures and no one is going to let you write anything else. Welcome to Hollywood. :banghead:

If only Korzeniowski had scored the Rainman, now, HE would be the king of film music, if you know what i mean.. ;)

If only had he scored Sugarland Express... :P

If only Korzeniowski had scored the Rainman, now, HE would be the king of film music, if you know what i mean.. ;)

If only had he scored Sugarland Express... :P

If only he hadn't been 2 years old at the time. :P But then again if he had scored it back then, I would be mightily impressed.

Seriously Korzeniowski should be getting more assignments. He obviously is a gifted composer with a lot to give to the medium.

• 1 month later...

For anybody that missed Copernicus' Star, it is available on iTunes. Maybe this was common knowledge, but I was surprised to find it there.

It would seem that the score CD is still available through LLL and other internet retailers.

It would seem that the score CD is still available through LLL and other internet retailers.

You are right. For some reason I had thought that it was sold out.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just going to post that clip on here but then I realized Neimoidian got there before I did. It really is a fantastic bit of music, but like filmmusic, I really can't see how the music fits the scene on screen,

Maybe it supposes to be operatic, larger larger than life finale cue... Who knows? The music sounds very old fashioned, almost like it's form golden age.

I wouldn't quite say Golden Age. Sure, the main theme sounds like it fits in that era, but the piano riffs and the more bombastic stuff places itself in modern film scoring.

• 4 weeks later...
I started this thread over a year ago to introduce you to an unknown talent, of whom I've been a long-time fan.

Now, after these several months, the guy is a Golden Globe nominee.....

• 4 weeks later...

yes, to tell you the truth i didn't like it either.. :blink:

I'm sure he means well, and thinks that by this way he's gaining more fans and becomes more "out" to the world..

I don't know but i felt kind of embarassed watching it..

I saw that speech at the WSA yesterday, and I thought it was hilarious. Best speech ever, surely. It reminds one of the king's New Year address to the people or something like that.

To defend Korzeniowski though, I saw him live when he won at the WSA, and I believe he's just an uber-emotional guy, who has some difficulty speaking in English, and it does come from the heart, so I guess that particular mix makes him do speeches like that :)

Is the music playing from W.E.?

Goddamn I gotta check out that score.

It is. You must - it's gorgeous.

To defend Korzeniowski though, I saw him live when he won at the WSA, and I believe he's just an uber-emotional guy, who has some difficulty speaking in English, and it does come from the heart, so I guess that particular mix makes him do speeches like that :)

True. :) He is very passionate about what he does and it's good, because, ultimately, you can hear this passion in his music (often written to obscure and sometimes even not-so-good movie).

His Metropolis score is also very good!

although I don't know of an official release somewhere.

By the way, the second track of "A Single Man" (which is really the main titles of the film), is actually a movement of the Metropolis score, reworked a tiny bit.

What else by him do you recommend, Chris? I blind bought Copernicus' Star and love it. I'm aware of A Single Man and will check out W.E.

Both A Single Man and W.E. are essentials and available on CD.

You should also check out Battle for Terra. Although it has never been officially released, Abel made it available for download on his FB profile once, thus it's possible you can still find it somewhere in the vaults of internet. (you can listen to some cues from that score on www.abelkorzeniowski.com )

Metropolis is another gem - possibly his greatest soundtrack. It has never been released either, although you can find large portion of that score on Abel's page. There you can also find a handful of his lesser soundtracks like Tickling Leo (another worthy effort)

I wish we'd get an official release for Battle for Terra. What I've heard sounds fantastic.

I've heard only about 17 minutes of that score and I'd like to own it.

Karol

I have no idea what 5-6 trakcs you're talking about, but the official promo has this track list:

1. Journey Through Space

2. Flying with Whales

3. Life on Terra / First Strike

4. Oxygen Tent

5. Ceremony of Life

6. Low B

7. Hijacking the Ship

8. Mala Finds Father

9. General Hemmer

10. The Ultimate Test

11. War Begins

12. Battle

13. Destroying the Terraformer

14. Epilogue

It's available all over the internet

• 3 weeks later...

Abel has recently released his SONG FOR THE LITTLE SPARROW, his original, instrumental piece, written in homage to Piaf, available on Kaas Chante Piaf album that he arranged for Patricia Kaas.

You can listen to it on Abel's homepage. As usual, it's stunning beyond words.

• 3 weeks later...

Started off with Korzeniowski's typical minimalistic structures while bordering on a bit of Phillip Glass, and then it became nothing more than a reworking of W.E.

It was a nice listen though.

I actually started to find him very similar to Philip Glass the other day when I listened to A Single Man, Battle For Terra, Copernicus' Star, and W.E. Not in style, but in that Abel's scores are actually quite derivative of one another.

Not in style, but in that Abel's scores are actually quite derivative of one another.

They are. Korzeniowski's work largely relies on Glass-inspired minimalistic structures, even in his larger scale fantasy scores. Some don't be surprised if you get a sense of deja vu in his drama scores.

But the man can take that style and work some soaring magic that resonates quite well on an emotional level. And although he may not always push his musical boundaries, his work is incredibly satisfying as a listening experience.

I agree, but I already feel like I should stick to a handful of scores to get my Abel fix, just like Notes On A Scandal is my definitive Glass score. Battle For Terra felt much like Copernicus' Star without a lot of the thematic melody. That and W.E. and the occasional A Single Man should hold me over if I want to get a dose of his style.

I actually started to find him very similar to Philip Glass the other day when I listened to A Single Man, Battle For Terra, Copernicus' Star, and W.E. Not in style, but in that Abel's scores are actually quite derivative of one another.

I think this is due to the minimalistic style used.

This is a very restricted style with which you can't do many things..

Ok, you use scales, arpeggios, certain chords, repeated rhythms but what next?

Still though, It's very good music and he has become one of my favourite composers nowadays...

But maybe he should incorporate other elements in his music too before becoming tiring, predictable and unfresh.

Of course I understand, everyone would ask him now to do another W.E. or Single Man..

I agree, but I already feel like I should stick to a handful of scores to get my Abel fix, just like Notes On A Scandal is my definitive Glass score. Battle For Terra felt much like Copernicus' Star without a lot of the thematic melody. That and W.E. and the occasional A Single Man should hold me over if I want to get a dose of his style.

I know what you mean. Interesting you bring Phillip Glass up. I love Notes on a Scandal and like you, its my definitive Glass score as well. And then I play The Illusionist, which is the light-hearted twin to NoaS, and I find myself bored. There's only so much of it you can take. I think that's often the case with minimalism. I enjoyed The Hours more, but even then I need to be in a certain mood to enjoy it. But anytime I play the CD to Notes on a Scandal, there's no helping loving it.

Korzeniowski's better at spicing up that style than Glass is though.

I think this is due to the minimalistic style used.

This is a very restricted style with which you can't do many things..

Ok, you use scales, arpeggios, certain chords, repeated rhythms but what next?

Still though, It's very good music and je jas become one of my favourite compsoer nowadays...

But maybe he should incorporate other elements in his music too before becoming tiring, predictable and unfresh.

Of course I understand, everyone would ask him now to do another W.E. or Single Man..

It may be different for the Oscar bait drama films, but with fantasy films like Copernicus Star, he isn't be forced to write with minimalism. And yet, he seems fond of writing his music like that.

It's great hearing his music. But like Koray said, his work may become a tired sound soon (but that seems pretty far off for now).

It's basically due to temp tracks, as usual. One thing is his trademark tricks which can be heard in most of his scores, another is writing what directors and producers demand and often they demand what they heard in a previous score.

As for Glass, Abel admits he is very fond of his music and that it has strong influence on his own works.

Korzeniowski's W.E. used in Renault Clio ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCsbD5tiHXk

the 19 first seconds are from W.E. I'm not sure if the rest is from W.E. too or from another movie of his..

well, that's the danger with minimalistic music.. ;)

It doesn't always have a specific personality..

the 19 first seconds are from W.E. I'm not sure if the rest is from W.E. too or from another movie of his..

well, that's the danger with minimalistic music.. ;)

I am preety sure it all comes straight from W.E.

that's the danger with minimalistic music.. ;)

Although like Neimoidian, I think the whole clip was from W.E, I agree that its harder to give minimalism a distinct personality, but Glass sure as hell proved it was possible with Notes on a Scandal.

I agree, The Illusionist sounds like The Hours. But Glass gave his all too familiar minimalistic structures personality in Notes on a Scandal, which sure sets itself apart from Glass' other works. I mean The Illusionist and Notes on a Scandal share the exact same structures and yet the latter makes itself far more distinct.