Great scores ruined by the context of their films.

Not Mr. Big

I-ve decided to never see Conan the Barbarian or El Cid. Not that I had much interest in seeing El Cid to start with, I kind of dislike "Hollywood Middle Ages".

I do want to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I don't know, I don't know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the film in ages but the Always soundtrack doesn't sound very pompous to me. I'm sure that at times it's very sentimental though.

Always is lovely. It also feel it is quite reserved. But I'm in the minority when it comes to that score and movie.

I have no problem with the score. I just don't like the film. Probably Spielberg's worst, IMO.

Now it's time for Chaac to say Always is Spielberg's masterpiece, in the same order of Citizen Kane, and so on.

Alex

My original post wasn't meant to say that the Always score is pompous(or any other JW score) but the fact about Spielberg's annoying

habit to make some scenes too pompous and pretentious. And again I have nothing against sentimentality, Always kind of BS crap is a different story.

Definitely Spielberg's worst.

After hearing the War Horse album I couldn't find anything too cheesy there but when I saw the movie, there was few scenes that was too much.

Is it Williams' or Spielberg's fault?

Movie and score are kinda average. They're not bad, but they aren't very good either. Definitely at the bottom of Spielberg's and Williams' career.

Agreed. I saw it for the first time only a week ago, and I've already forgotten the score. The only particularly memorable uses of music were "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "Crazy Love", and even then...

ACROSS THE FREAKING STARS.

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet. It's one of the greatest themes Williams has ever written (especially since he wrote it in 1977 and called it "Main Title," then inverted and fiddled with it 25 years later to form the defining theme of the prequel trilogy...hat tip to Clemmenson at Filmtracks for that observation), but every single scene that it underscores, almost without exception if I recall, is so laughably bad that it makes me want to disavow Star Wars and enlist in the Starfleet Academy. Every time I hear it apart from Episodes II and III, I like it a little more. In fact, it's actually getting to the point where those movies are losing their power to ruin it for me.

(UPDATE--And, apparently, hat tip to half the posters on this forum, who apparently noticed the Luke's Theme/Across the Stars connection years ago...)

Movie and score are kinda average. They're not bad, but they aren't very good either. Definitely at the bottom of Spielberg's and Williams' career.

Agreed. I saw it for the first time only a week ago, and I've already forgotten the score. The only particularly memorable uses of music were "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "Crazy Love", and even then...

I forgot after five minutes.

The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

The score occasionally hits those big, grand moments of greatness (especially the end credits suite). But when you see the movie -- oh my God! Words can't describe how asinine Shyamalan's direction and writing is.

(UPDATE--And, apparently, hat tip to half the posters on this forum, who apparently noticed the Luke's Theme/Across the Stars connection years ago...)

I certainly didn't. Thanks for informing me! :)

• 2 weeks later...

ACROSS THE FREAKING STARS.

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet. It's one of the greatest themes Williams has ever written (especially since he wrote it in 1977 and called it "Main Title," then inverted and fiddled with it 25 years later to form the defining theme of the prequel trilogy...hat tip to Clemmenson at Filmtracks for that observation), but every single scene that it underscores, almost without exception if I recall, is so laughably bad that it makes me want to disavow Star Wars and enlist in the Starfleet Academy. Every time I hear it apart from Episodes II and III, I like it a little more. In fact, it's actually getting to the point where those movies are losing their power to ruin it for me.

Well, there are still some peoples children that refuse to acknowledge that the Imperial Motif may have been the inspiration for the Imperial March. Myself, I think it's the only logical way for it to be, because 2 out of the three opening notes to the main part of the theme are already there.....