Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

I don't remember the score from ID4. 

Was it okay?

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Would that constitute a joke?

I really don't remember.  Never an Arnold fan. 

Was it okay?

1 hour ago, Joey said:

I really don't remember.  Never an Arnold fan. 

Was it okay?

If you want to jog your memory, have a listen to the End Credits:

The soundtrack in the film is full of great moments as well (which are usually in the best scenes). I think my favourite moment is from 3:35 in "The Day We Fight Back". :)

5 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The choral elements in the end credits always seemed unnecessary and out of place to me.  Something about it that sounds superfluous.

I have to disagree with you there. From a purely musical point of view, it makes sense to include a choir in the end credits because the choir appears previously in the film score (e.g. "Spaceship from Roswell"). But more importantly, the choir comes in at an optimum time in the end credits - near the end, during the "Independence March". It is a perfect example of creating a climax in music via restraint. Had the choir been introduced early on in the end credits, the effect wouldn't have been so dramatic. (Of course, I say all this because this is what I feel when listening to it).

8 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

The End Credits are overrated. I get kinda burnt out around the finale of the score, after The Day We Fight Back. The Darkest Day is the ultimate highlight.

I think my main criticism with the score (allbeit a small one) is that it does get a bit superfluous at times, in that it feels like there's simply too much going on and that David Arnold himself got a bit burnt out towards the end...However, as a standalone piece, the ID4 end credits is one of the best end credits sequences I've heard. It's an almost perfect amalgamation of the themes present in the film, all leading one from the other in a logical and satisfactory way.

And yeah, if I had to pick a favourite track (outside the End Credits) it would be The Darkest Day, definitely. That moment when the spaceship is revealed, and then the rapid increase in tempo later on...gives me chills every time!

• 2 weeks later...

"They like to get the landmarks" They do indeed! :lol:

"They're not screaming, they're celebrating" Those two aren't mutually exclusive.

HYPE!!!!! :joy:

OK, just watched the trailer.

Honestly, it looks better than the average random summer blockbuster made these days... so there's that.  I'm sure it won't be nearly as enjoyable as the original by any means.  Special effects seem fine.

I'm still really annoyed they replaced Mae Whitman with some blonde bimbo.

That is interesting.  It would be different if she was some kid actor who made 1 or 2 movies and then moved onto other career choices, but she's still a steady working actor.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK, just watched the trailer.

Honestly, it looks better than the average random summer blockbuster made these days... so there's that.  I'm sure it won't be nearly as enjoyable as the original by any means.  Special effects seem fine.

It's Emmerich doing what he does best. Epic destruction. It will certainly be worth a watch.

I'd be more interested if this had an Arnold score though.

Back to Mae Whitman being replaced, its just annoying because you know they only replaced her to have a "thin" love interest, since Whitman's looks aren't considered "hot" by standard definitions.  It's such bullshit.

13 minutes ago, Drax said:

I wonder who'll get top billing? Goldblum?

Goldblum, then Pullman, then Hemsworth as the top 3 billed before the title

• 1 month later...

91Bb1-Qm5TL._SL1500_.jpg

Tracklist is up on Amazon.com

Spoiler
 1. Traveling Through Space
  2. Great Speech
  3. Hostile Territory
  4. How Did They Get the Lights On?
  5. Inside the African Ship
  6. More Stimulation
  7. Fear
  8. The Friendly Spaceship
  9. The Only Family I Got
  10. Welcome to the Moon
  11. What Goes Up
  12. It's Getting Real
  13. Flying Inside
  14. It's a Trap
  15. Worth Fighting For
  16. The Sphere
  17. The Queen is Leaving
  18. Whitmore's Choice
  19. Humanity's Last Stand
  20. Bus Chase
  21. We are Rich
  22. Independence Day Resurgence Finale
  23. ID4 Reprise
  24. Electric U - Kid Bloom
  25. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Annie Trousseau

Sounds like we'll be getting some shitty end credits songs.