Dreamworks To Remake Ghost In A Shell Into A Live Action Movie

A24

I doubt anyone has been indoctrinated in any way.

It's just the way the world works. Diversity and cultural integration hasn't worked to the extent that we don't prefer out own group or entertainment aimed at that group. 

But the Hollywood case is funny cause they're white 'cause they're immigrants. You and I have a different perspective.

To be honest, the intersection of race and gender in American movies isn't exactly my fight, besides me feeling constantly annoyed as a viewer of their stuff by the unnecesary dumbing down of things. But I recommend the 1995 movie and its score. We'll dislike the score for this one anyways.

I get the complaints people are throwing at this film (as well as Doctor Strange with Tilda Swinton playing The Ancient One), but this wouldn't be made if they couldn't get a big name to star. Johansson has several big action blockbusters under her belt; there's no Asian actress with the clout that she has.

And ScarJo isn't an actress that takes every project offered. She takes on projects that interest her, whether they're small indie pics or big budget tentpoles. I guess when her agent called her with the offer, she watched the 1995 film and/or series, liked it and thought they could do something different in live-action.

21 hours ago, Matt C said:

there's no Asian actress with the clout that she has.

zhangziyi.jpg (400×449)  ?

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who is that?

Ziyi Zhang, star of Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, and Memoirs of a Geisha. 

She's an international superstar, but of course I put a question mark in my post for a reason.  Pay attention!

A remake of the Michael Douglas Val Kilmer movie about the Lions? Why.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never seen her in anything other than Pacific Rim

I think she looks more like I'd imagine the character than Ziyi, who's pretty much typecast in my mind as her House Of Flying Daggers character.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also the studio wouldn't have green lit the movie without a big enough star to get butts in seats to get a return on their investment in making the picture

16 hours ago, Jay said:

It showed she had more acting chops than her other filmography might lead you to believe

I think I'd use the word "range" in place of "chops" in that sentence personally.  I was certainly convinced of her chops by wonderful performances in Lost in Translation, Girl With a Pearl Earring, etc.  Under the Skin showed that she had more in her bag of tricks than you might have thought.

The rather monotone performance in Under the Skin makes sense, but I hope she doesn't fall into the trap of replicating that with Ghost in the Shell.  It would be lazy to act robotic when playing a mostly cyborg creation.  The character wasn't that way in the anime.

The featurette showed a lot more practical effects than I was expecting.

Also intriguing is that there will definitely be a PG-13 iteration of the "Making a Cyborg" titles sequence.