Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

So I'm flipping channels and TNG is on, and it's like a 5 minute scene of Picard playing Frère Jacques on flute with a random crew member on keyboard. Is this episode considered bottom rung of the series? 

Oh boy, now they've gone into a hidden compartment to play together with her roll out keyboard. This is a lot of time to dedicate to this stuff... 

Hey, they gotta take time to do random shit every so often! 

Picard's flute has its own significance throughout TNG, its own story arc!

11 hours ago, Jay said:

So I'm flipping channels and TNG is on, and it's like a 5 minute scene of Picard playing Frère Jacques on flute with a random crew member on keyboard. Is this episode considered bottom rung of the series? 

Oh boy, now they've gone into a hidden compartment to play together with her roll out keyboard. This is a lot of time to dedicate to this stuff... 

It's called development of characters and a personal relationship.

The episode is called Lessons and is generally well regarded. Though I skipped it on my last rewatch.

There wasn't much in the way of character development. It was one of those random season 6/7 "character" episodes where things happen to one of the crew, but ultimately it doesn't mean anything. Enterprise sails off.

Not like DS9 where the characters were infinitely more interesting and things were actually at stake on a constant basis. You saw Kira go from being a terrorist fighting the Cardassians to training the Cardassians to be terrorists.

Here, you saw Picard go from being a guy who gets along well with certain women, only this time they share musical interests rather than archaeological. In the end, they realize a relationship wouldn't work out. But why? Make it work out like Sisko and his criminal girlfriend/wife he sent to prison. That's why DS9 is better.

DS9 is the poor man's TNG!

I recently found a box of some of my old "Star Trek Collective" box sets, including my favourite "Q Collective" which features every episode with the character throughout the three shows. Q alone is why Star Trek is better than everything!

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Q alone is why Star Trek is better than everything!

Q is indeed pretty darn entertaining. Good stuff!

6 hours ago, Woj said:

Uh, no. DS9 is TNG turned to 11.

I've been watching it recently. Waiting for it to pick up though; so far, it's been not yet great.

Almost reached the Season 2 finale...

7 minutes ago, Woj said:

The show doesn't hit its stride until the Dominion debuts and the Defiant arrives. Season 3 is when it starts to get good. 

Although I like Season 2 of TNG, mainly because of Dr Pulalski, but it didn't seem to find itself until Season 3. Same happened with Stargate SG-1, the first two seasons were good, but meandered a bit, but after that, the show had great momentum.

It became dryer, less adventurous.

14 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

There wasn't much in the way of character development. It was one of those random season 6/7 "character" episodes where things happen to one of the crew, but ultimately it doesn't mean anything. Enterprise sails off.

Not like DS9 where the characters were infinitely more interesting and things were actually at stake on a constant basis. You saw Kira go from being a terrorist fighting the Cardassians to training the Cardassians to be terrorists.

Here, you saw Picard go from being a guy who gets along well with certain women, only this time they share musical interests rather than archaeological. In the end, they realize a relationship wouldn't work out. But why? Make it work out like Sisko and his criminal girlfriend/wife he sent to prison. That's why DS9 is better.

Yes!

I usually skip the 45 minute love story episodes of any Star Trek series these days.

14 hours ago, Arpy said:

DS9 is the poor man's TNG!

I recently found a box of some of my old "Star Trek Collective" box sets, including my favourite "Q Collective" which features every episode with the character throughout the three shows. Q alone is why Star Trek is better than everything!

Lets see, DS9. A hugely ambitious multi season story arc, well developed main characters, a superb set of recurring characters. Some challenging material that seeks out the limits of Roddenberries vision and a couple of damn fine space battles!

But yes, TNG had more Q.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Voyager had an ageing John De Lancie unfortunately. 

I never had a problem with this specific point.  It's in the conception of the character that it can appear as anyone or anything it wants to.  It's not like aging Brent Spiner, which by 2002 was definitely a problem.

Oh, I never took it as a serious problem either, it's more of my thinking that if he was an omnipotent being, why wouldn't he choose to appear the same age? I guess I was just noticing 'Oh shit, he's getting on now!'.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

They should bring him back for Discovery :D

Make him a human who gets taken in by the Continuum who offer to make him immortal? I dunno that sounds like bad fan fiction now!

It sounds like awful fan fiction.

Sounds like Hellbound: Hellraiser II, where we learn Pinhead was a originally a World War 1 vet from about 70 years prior, which eliminated the mystique of the character in the first film, who I thought was some ancient being who's been visiting torturing people and tearing their souls apart for thousands of years.

Don't forget the unforgivably terrible ruination of the original Highlander mythos in The Quickening!

"The planet Zeist" :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

This was a nice Comic-Con panel and shows the Star Trek Discovery producer is a real fan who seems to understand the series better than JJ Abrams ever did so I am excited to see what they come up with.  I always love Brent Spiner's Pickard impersonations. 

17 hours ago, karelm said:

This was a nice Comic-Con panel and shows the Star Trek Discovery producer is a real fan who seems to understand the series better than JJ Abrams ever did so I am excited to see what they come up with.  I always love Brent Spiner's Pickard impersonations. 

The guy asking the questions is the Discovery producer? Brian Fuller?

Ugh. He tried to shoehorn politics and social justice into every question.  I found him annoying as f*ck. And that bit at the end where he asks everyone to hold hands and promise each other to build a better future was cringe inducing.

Fuller is overrated. He wrote some of the worst episodes of Voyager. Which is saying something. Too bad Ron Moore wasn't available. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...