Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I cannot imagine how that is possible. The more I think about it the worse the film becomes. 

I cannot think of a worse movie Ive seen in 2019.

Ooops I Stand corrected. I saw pet Semetary. Makes many bad films look better. 

I cannot imagine it possibly being that bad. What were you expecting from a monster movie?

More than I got.

It was worse than godzilla 14

At least in a Japanese godzilla you can make fun of the poor voice overs

17 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The only thing I notice in the 2014 finale is the bold heroic Hollywood music for Godzilla retreating to the sea. It's so unfitting for a Godzilla movie it's not even funny.

If you could condense all that's wrong with the film into one scene, this is it.

But Godzilla is a hero in the movie!

I just friggin love this movie and how powerful Godzilla is, and how he consolidates his power as a benevolent force of nature by the end of the film. It's essentially how I imagined a Godzilla movie when collecting my Trendmasters dolls and their trading cards in the mid-1990s.

Anyone who hates this movie has no heart.

44 minutes ago, The Original said:

But Godzilla is a hero in the movie!

But it sounds like he's holding a speech about American bravery.

14 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

But it sounds like he's holding a speech about American bravery.

He's essentially the most powerful branch of the US military anyway, called upon to exterminate gargantuan horny pests and defeat invading space monsters.

2 hours ago, The Original said:

He's essentially the most powerful branch of the US military anyway, called upon to exterminate gargantuan horny pests and defeat invading space monsters.

It's just these moments, a choice like that, that make me wonder if the people who made the film got Godzilla in the first place.

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

It's just these moments, a choice like that, that make me wonder if the people who made the film got Godzilla in the first place.

They get a certain portrayal of Godzilla. And it was more about how majestic he was in that moment, revealed in the full daylight not as a menace, but a mysterious force of balance.

The Legendary version is an amalgamation of the heroics of the late Showa verson and the towering, animalistic aloofness of the Heisei version. If people want a repeat of the dark and disturbing '54 version, they have Shin Godzilla. Legendary Goji is for those of us who loved the Trendmasters toys and mid-90s Godzilla paraphernalia, as well as the 1988 NES game because of the Godzilla/Mothra stuff.

Godzilla fans have no clue what they want. Sometimes I think they, along with Trekkies, think their fandom is much bigger than it actually is. 

Outside of the original and a few of the Showa films, most of the films are terrible, cheesy and disjointed.

KOTM is entertaining and much more polished than the Japanese films but it lacks the buildup and structure of the 2014 film. I do wish Edwards had returned to direct this film. You cannot make a film just for the fans, unless your fandom is big enough to cover a $200 million dollar budget.

If it's build-up you want, I loved the moment inside the underwater oil rig where he's inquisitively approaching and he's making a lightshow. That's all the build-up the sequel needed.

11 hours ago, The Original said:

FB_IMG_1559962271118.jpg

Yeah I got one of those too. Unfortunately the Mrs doesn’t get excited buy it.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:45 AM, Gistech said:

Actually, that song's grown on me.

They should have just brought Blue Oyster Cult back. 😉

Hmm this doesn't sound promising...

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

They're considering pushing back the release date, which suggests they might be retooling the film.

Discussing the nuances of a Godzilla movie plot is like discussing nuances in a Stormy Daniels "film". Get the ass on cam, light it well, there's your satisfying movie.

Film is even better the second time. 

The only criticism I could give is that the movie throws you in a story where the existence and awakening of the Titans is alraedy a given, without much explanation.

And I'd love to know what the governments' plan was to kill the Titans, because the whole movie shows that they in fact can't.

But the whole Heisei era is basically the humans trying to kill Godzilla and failing, so ...

Saw it twice also, probably the most fun I've had at the movies this year. There was a a lot of cheese in the dialogue, but it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Let's just say they got more things right than wrong in this film.

16 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Meltdown Godzilla deserved some Ifukube music, and not that trite trash.

That 'trite trash' contains Ifukube's Godzilla theme in a heroic mode.

Does the general public even like Godzilla as the hero? It seems to go against the grain of what they expect of him being a stereotypical generic monster that gets its jollies from destroying cities. Maybe they were confused by this movie presenting him in his heroic Trendmasters persona.

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

You can barely hear it under the chanting and pounding percussion.

4 hours ago, Gistech said:

Turned it into an almost unrecognizable MV ostinato.

4 hours ago, The Original said:

Does the general public even like Godzilla as the hero? It seems to go against the grain of what they expect of him being a stereotypical generic monster that gets its jollies from destroying cities. Maybe they were confused by this movie presenting him in his heroic Trendmasters persona.

The version of Godzilla I have always known is a mutated lizard who is just trying to lay its eggs while the United States military causes massive amounts of destruction trying to kill it.

2 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I always took him as both, depending on his mood.

Of course, it all depends on which continuity we're talking about. But that's stuff that normies don't understand.

I know the official reasoning is “depends on continuity”, but it’s more fun to imagine that some days he was just pissed Rayman didn’t make it into Smash and took his rage out on Tokyo. 

And he's only ever been truly evil in one movie, which was GMK. Even in Shin Godzilla, as horrifyingly garish as he appeared, he was just a zombie-like creature reacting to everything on instinct.

55 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I’d say the 54, 84 and Shin count. 

He was destroying everything thing in his path. 

Not out of truly evil intent. 54 was lashing out in agony after being mutated by the Castle Bravo bomb. 84 just wanted something to eat when it first came ashore and those nuclear reactors looked tasty, and Shin only struck out in retaliation after it was attacked.

23 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Not out of truly evil intent. 54 was lashing out in agony after being mutated by the Casttle Bravo bomb. 84 just wanted something to eat when it first ame ashore and those nuclear reactors looked tasty, and Shin only struck out in retaliation after it was attacked.

Precisely. He was really just a territorial animal in '54 and '84. A lot of the time in Shin, he just stood there.