Michael Giacchino's Zootopia (2016)

Max

Wow, that's a shocker!

I never heard of this film till I saw this odd teaser a ways back

Doesn't look like a typical Giacchino project.... this could be a really fun one!

And wow, 5 huge scores from the man in one year, pretty intense!

EDIT: Nevermind, it comes out in March 2016, which is what I thought! Thread title updated!

EDIT 2: Ah, you already updated it :)

2016 is shaping up to be a good one for Gia - Zootopia in the spring, Star Trek 3 in the summer, and then possibly The Book of Henry, too!

It appears that Giacchino's might have been working on this one for quite some time now:

http://www.a113animation.com/2015/11/michael-giacchino-will-score-disneys.html

"....the score has been carefully written thanks to the talent of the great composer Michael Giacchino, with complex sounds and also world music that fits perfectly the film's atmosphere."

And I thought he said he was taking the rest of the year off.

It appears that Giacchino's been working on this one for quite some time now:

http://www.a113animation.com/2015/11/michael-giacchino-will-score-disneys.html

"....the score has been carefully written thanks to the talent of the great composer Michael Giacchino, with complex sounds and also world music that fits perfectly the film's atmosphere."

So he'll be incorporating farm animal noises into the score?

So he'll be incorporating farm animal noises into the score?

Or into his track titles at least - in some form.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess these articles better answer Mr. Big's question above. They are really "over-promoting" this picture and its score though. I've seen more articles about this film, and now its score, than what I usually see for this genre.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

well my anticipation for this movie just dropped. Oh well another mediocre score that will be overly praised here.

5 hours ago, Joey said:

well my anticipation for this movie just dropped. Oh well another mediocre score that will be overly praised here.

Oh no :o I'll inform the masses of your disapproval. Maybe they can quickly get a replacement score. 

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

He never tires of doing these cartoons does he. But Michael Giacchino is no Alan Menkin. 

Maybe I'd take to him more if he did a couple of adult thrillers. 

Giacchino is a composer who clearly chooses projects based on their fun and enjoyability to score. He doesn't choose films to get awards and to be edgy and pretentious. And they still gave him an oscar for a 'cartoon'

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Giacchino is a composer who clearly chooses projects based on their fun and enjoyability to score. He doesn't choose films to get awards and to be edgy and pretentious.

I'm really pleased for him. Now why are you telling me this? 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

I'm really pleased for him. Now why are you telling me this? 

Because you clearly need to know

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I can't ever see Gia doing a Schindlers List type score.

You should be a detective. 

I'm sorry, but in your haste to defend Giacchino you seem to have misinterpreted what I said and answered a question I did not ask. Like a disgruntled fan, you rushed in to tell me that the man has no pretensions towards awards or "edgy" material; when actually all I'd implied was that I'd possibly be more inclined to be interested in his work if he perhaps explored other genres and indeed more mature subjects. What does pretentious and awards chasing have to do with any of that? You overreacted.

Moreover, you initially came back to me with this:

29 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Giacchino is a composer who clearly chooses projects based on their fun and enjoyability

Which I thought painted Giacchino as a sort of Adam Sandler of film music.

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm sorry, but in your haste to defend Giacchino you seem to have misinterpreted what I said and answered a question I did not ask. Like a disgruntled fan, you rushed in to tell me that the man has no pretensions towards awards or "edgy" material; when actually all I'd implied was that I'd possibly be more inclined to be interested in his work if he perhaps explored other genres and indeed more mature subjects. What does pretentious and awards chasing have to do with any of that? You overreacted.

Moreover, you initially came back to me with this:

Which I thought painted Giacchino as a sort of Adam Sandler of film music.

You're over-thinking it. I'm just pissing aroubd. If you want more mature, arty, thriller-type scores from him then you likely wont be getting them any time soon, as this phase of his career is geared towards him wanting to have fun. What I meant by what I said was; his music is a lot of fun to listen to because of his movie choices, like Jupiter Ascending, which he didn't choose because he thought it would change cinema forever or usher in a new Star Wars, he did it because it was a ridiculously over the top sci-fi that gave him a lot of creative freedom and big set pieces to have fun with. I respect him hugely for his work ethic, because he does what he wants and does it well. He only really ever collaborates with his good friends because he wants to write music in a light, friendly environment. Just his pun filled cue titles are an indication of how happy he is in his choices and their outcomes. 

And again, I know you weren't asking that, but I'm merely stating the reason why he wont be doing any of the types of scores you crave from him any time soon.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

He probably isn't on the radar for a lot of serious cinema.

And this "he only scores movies for his friends" line I've heard before. Sounds like apologism to me.

Giacchino has said that his entire career. I smell a hater. 

Doesn't sound like he's taking this filmscore lark very seriously if he only scores for friends.

I'm not a hater. Gia seems like a very personable guy.

I don't think he's much more then an average composer though.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Doesn't sound like he's taking this filmscore lark very seriously if he only scores for friends.

Only idiots and egos take themselves seriously. Perhaps Giacchino should speak with a phony Italian accent and carry a permanently refilled glass of wine around with him.

17 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

If you want more mature, arty, thriller-type scores from him then you likely wont be getting them any time soon, as this phase of his career is geared towards him wanting to have fun. What I meant by what I said was; his music is a lot of fun to listen to because of his movie choices, like Jupiter Ascending, which he didn't choose because he thought it would change cinema forever or usher in a new Star Wars, he did it because it was a ridiculously over the top sci-fi that gave him a lot of creative freedom and big set pieces to have fun with. I respect him hugely for his work ethic, because he does what he wants and does it well. He only really ever collaborates with his good friends because he wants to write music in a light, friendly environment. 

Hmm, that's a shame then. That he imposes so many creative limits on himself, I mean. All in the name of fun! He likes a good larf does Gia, according to leeallen01. Who seems to know the composer personally.