Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I laughed. It was a moment that nearly ruined the film.

Yeah but you’re an emotionless bot so your opinion on the matter is suspect at best. 

Just now, John said:

Yeah but you’re an emotionless bot so your opinion on the matter is suspect at best. 

Clearly John you are ignorant about my emotions.  I cry easily but the I could have done more first didnt happen and second was criticized by many.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Nolan fans on Jwfan seem to dislike that scene. I feel its earned. Spielberg knew its what the audience needed at that point

I cried at several points before that scene though.

It's the most controversial scene of the movie for a reason, Steef. Personally I was very disappointed with it because, up to that point, Spielberg somehow managed to stay away from over-the-top sentimentality. As it is now, the scene is so out of tune with the rest of the movie that it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Actually this whole thing about how Americans react in a movie theatre is blatant American bashing. It gets old. Stefan you are a dear friend but you are among the worst in this respect. You love to bash America

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

No it is not!

I want to enjoy a movie without having to deal with distractions from the rest of the audience.

Then stay at home. It is a fact that in a comedy you are more likely to laugh more and harder with an audience.The same happens in a horror film as the terror becomes contagious. 

Just now, Holko said:

I heard people over there sometimes even clap at the end of regular cinema showings. That is just plain dumb.

Why? Did communist oppression force out all emotional enjoyment. 

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Actually this whole thing about how Americans react in a movie theatre is blatant American bashing. It gets old. Stefan you are a dear friend but you are among the worst in this respect. You love to bash America

You've been blatantly insulting "foreign" countries for almost 2 decades here Joe, mostly for shit and giggles. You have ABSOLUTELY no right no complain here!

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Then stay at home. It is a fact that in a comedy you are more likely to laugh more and harder with an audience.The same happens in a horror film as the terror becomes contagious. 

To be honest, it's my experience that many people don't dare to watch horror movies when they are alone. 

Clapping is for showing people whose art you just witnessed that you liked what they did. None of the filmmakers are there in the cinema, you're showing appreciation to  bunch of letters on a screen. Do you also clap like an idiot at home in front of the TV when a Netflix movie is over?

And I do. Its clears that a bunch of foreigners get much of their entertainment from the US. 

At least you are expressing anger. And you shared it in a oublic forum. Try it at the movies sometime.

Clapping for a movie in the cinema when no one involved with the production is present is pointless and stupid.

Its bizarre lemming behaviour actually!

2 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

And I do. Its clears that a bunch of foreigners get much of their entertainment from the US. 

At least you are expressing anger. And you shared it in a oublic forum. Try it at the movies sometime.

I can never be angry with you Joe. And when I scream at you i do it in silence.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Clapping is for showing people whose art you just witnessed that you liked what they did. None of the filmmakers are there in the cinema, you're showing appreciation to  bunch of letters on a screen. Do you also clap like an idiot at home in front of the TV when a Netflix movie is over?

Sometimes I do. I ALSO cheer for sports team on tv even though I am not at the game. What is wrong with that. Better than being a stick in the mud.

Film is craft. It is rarely art.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Clapping for a movie in the cinema when no one involved with the production is present is pointless and stupid.

Why do some people clap when watching a sporting event at home? It's not like the athletes are there.

It's because people are having what's called a “good time". Ever heard of it?

Let people have their fun. 

I wouldn't mind if people were clapping ... when the movie is over, but I don't like clapping, eating, loud breathing or commenting during the movie.

Can I have some fun too, please?

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Everything is a battle in America:

Coca Cola vs Pepsi

Democrats vs Republicans

Marvel vs DC

And so on, and so on, ...

East Europe vs West Europe.

Competition is not an American concept.

Back to 4K. I still have several to watch in my small collection. JW Fallen Kingdom and Deadpool 2 are next up.

The Dolby Atmos on A Quiet Place was exceptional.