The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Really that ending for Bill is the only weak spot in the episode for me.

I think it's fine if Doctor Who doesn't want to be the kind of show that has companions die.  Moffat has said that Who should remain an "optimistic" show.  The problem is that now two seasons in a row he's killed a companion to up the narrative stakes and then had to engage in narrative contortionism to get them out of the situation.  Just stop killing them in the first place!

But I don't want to make that gripe out to be bigger than it is.  It's a couple of minutes out of a fantastic hour of television.

Oh I know, it's definitely a nu-Who thing.

Here's the specific place in the Doctor Who Fan Show from last weekend where Moffat says

"I don't think Doctor Who's that kind of show."

(15:45)

Again, I think that's fine and definitely a decision for each showrunner to make for themselves.  Just stop almost doing it but not!

On 7/2/2017 at 2:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

All the stuff with switching between Bill's perception of herself and everyone else's was fantastic as well.

I wonder whether they should have cut out the Cyberman revelation at the end of the penultimate episode, and had that moment be the reveal.

As it is, you're just left confused as to whether we've shifted time/reality/she's dead, or what. Plus you'd get the tension of a 'where's Bill' cliffhanger.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I wonder whether they should have cut out the Cyberman revelation at the end of the penultimate episode, and had that moment be the reveal.

As it is, you're just left confused as to whether we've shifted time/reality/she's dead, or what. Plus you'd get the tension of a 'where's Bill' cliffhanger.

For that first scene in the barn I just thought at first the Doctor had "uncybered" her somehow.  But it's only a minute before the show reveals the situation.  I thought it was a cool reveal with the mirror but I had started to piece it together before that based on the reactions of the woman and the little girl.

On 02/07/2017 at 0:01 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Is The Master going to appear again in any form in the future?

If so, how does that work...?

That's easy, Pieter, look how they brought him back for THE DEADLY ASSASSIN, THE KEEPER OF TRAKEN, and THE MOVIE.

13 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The show wasn't always as reluctant to kill off companions. 

And Sara Kingdom, Camelion, Peri...

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's easy, Pieter, look how they brought him back for THE DEADLY ASSASSIN, THE KEEPER OF TRAKEN, and THE MOVIE.

I've still got a long way to go with catching up! Haven't reached the Second Doctor yet.

But I'll keep an eye out for this episodes.

I find it hard to go back to the Classic Era. There are select stories I take from each Classic Doctor, but on the whole it's a constant game of hit or miss, with more misses than hits unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

You're still on William Hartnell?! :o

You've got some great stuff to look forward to! There's a lot to be said for watching it in chronological order (excluding the missing episodes, of course :().

That's what I've been trying to do.

It's dead slow though and I haven't continued in a while now.

But I'll get there in the end....

Those missing episodes are quite annoying though.

Never sure if I should bother watching what's left or skipping them altogether.

40 minutes ago, RPurton said:

I find it hard to go back to the Classic Era. There are select stories I take from each Classic Doctor, but on the whole it's a constant game of hit or miss, with more misses than hits unfortunately. 

If you or anyone has any suggestion for an abridged series of highlights, you may consider me interested.

The problem is, the nature of the show means that abridged versions will lose a sense of clarity because if you cut out the dud episodes, you might miss the arc of a certain character or the time it takes to adjust to any Doctor. 

I admire the Classic Era for starting something great, but it irks me when people bemoan the revived series for trivial reasons. As iconic a foundation the Classic Era was, it’s low-budget, long, meandering stories still are the biggest detractors for me, the stories, production values and contemporaneity on the other hand, are what make the revived series not only more bearable, but positively successful shows that can withstand (even with the ‘dud’ episodes) rewatchability for years longer than I'm afraid the Classic-Era will. 

I used to catch bits and pieces of Doctor #4 when PBS aired the show late Saturday nights as a child, but not enough to remember anything. I just remembered the man had a presence of cool around him. 

Second Doctor

The Second Doctor ate jelly babies from a bag while waiting in a travel capsule. (TV: The Dominators) He also offered a jelly baby to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart while in the TARDIS. (TV: The Three Doctors) When cornered by a Yeti and hunting through his pocket for a firework, he withdrew a bag of jelly babies. (TV: The Five Doctors) He had a bag of jelly babies in his pocket when he visited Mars with Jamie and Zoe. (AUDIO: Lords of the Red Planet)

On 7/7/2017 at 11:03 AM, Disco Stu said:

IN MY VERY HUMBLE BUT CORRECT OPINION, this 8 minute video is the only classic Who anyone ever need watch

Or just a montage of Leela clips.

9ad38dccfb004e81ce2cb052bd174e4cc369b7c4

After the Master's reappearance in the recent season finale, I was in the mood to revisit one of his previous NuWho appearances. So earlier (it's a 2-day holiday here in Northern Ireland) I popped The End Of Time Part 1 on. 

Bloody marvellous ... Simm embracing the mania, the wonderful Bernard Cribbins as Wilf, and of course Tennant's magnificent Tenth Doctor in his farewell to the show.         

I wish I got why people loved that.  I thought it was a wet fart of a farewell from RTD, I was embarrassed for him while watching it.  One of the worst stories of the series.

WOM promised so much, but failed to deliver. Even Grahame Harper's assured direction was not enough to lift it above average. This is the same person who directed ARMY OF GHOSTS/DOOMSDAY, and "murder at the vicar's rage" :D

EOT, on the other hand, is pure over-the-top RTD. It's outrageously entertaining.

Just one thing...Rassilon? Give me a break!

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish I got why people loved that.  I thought it was a wet fart of a farewell from RTD, I was embarrassed for him while watching it.  One of the worst stories of the series.

I was annoyed when Obama showed up in that one. I liked the fictional President we saw the last time we also saw The Master.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What?

11 hours ago, Richard said:

WOM promised so much, but failed to deliver. Even Grahame Harper's assured direction was not enough to lift it above average. This is the same person who directed ARMY OF GHOSTS/DOOMSDAY, and "murder at the vicar's rage" :D

EOT, on the other hand, is pure over-the-top RTD. It's outrageously entertaining.

Just one thing...Rassilon? Give me a break!

Yeah, what about Rassilon?

I loved Timothy Dalton's performance as the Lord President.

As for Waters of Mars, I think it was a good zombie/infected story and one which forced the Doctor to go against his prime directive :D

I completely 'nerded out' at the Doctor, James Bond and Sam Tyler from Life On Mars facing each other down in The End Of Time Part 2 (rewatched this morning).

Ten getting to make his goodbye 'visits' before the regeneration kicks in is a little indulgent, but I guess it was a reflection of Tennant's immense popularity.   

17 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I completely 'nerded out' at the Doctor, James Bond and Sam Tyler from Life On Mars facing each other down in The End Of Time Part 2 (rewatched this morning).

Ten getting to make his goodbye 'visits' before the regeneration kicks in is a little indulgent, but I guess it was a reflection of Tennant's immense popularity.   

Tennant was by far the most popular and successful actor to play The Doctor in this century. So that drawn out farewell was certainly earned. It's also a farewell for RDT, who overall did a far better job as showrunner than Moffat did.

I start to get teary eyed when Wilf knocks on the glass...

Agreed, on all points. The show needed Eccleston to kick-start it, and Tennant to take into orbit. He was born to play The Doctor.

The look on Tennant's face as The Doctor realises what the four knocks signify, is heartbreaking. Don't even mention "I don't want to go".

13 hours ago, Richard said:

WOM promised so much, but failed to deliver. Even Grahame Harper's assured direction was not enough to lift it above average. 

The story itself isn't that interesting or unique. But I do really like the ending. How 10 loses it and declares himself Timelord Victorious, almost a God. Only to be pegged down a few notches by Adelaide and her gun.

The ending I liked. The rest was...ok.

At least it was better than PLANET OF THE DEAD.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a truly terrible episode of Doctor Who.

Stu looks, and he sees "terrible". Stu needs to look with better eyes, than that.

EOT sums-up Nu-Who: funny, clever, exciting, well-written, well-acted, a tad enigmatic (Claire Bloom? Wha'?), and with a killer regeneration sequence.

The music's not bad, either.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Music is not too shabby either!

A nice 2-cd set.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

nothing means anything anyway.

Hey, Stu, it means something to you, and you have a right to share that meaning. Just because people don't always agree, it doesn't invalidate their opinions. 

If it's any consolation, I had some life-changing news, two weeks ago, and I'm off to see my doctor, today, to discuss it.

It happens to all of us.

# It could happen to you,

It could happen to me,

It could happen to everyone, 

Eventually #

So they're going to reveal Thirteen early?

And after the Men's Wimbledon finale... Intentional or not (in this case), they're really teasing us with all this gender stuff.