Notable musical moments in the Star Wars saga disrupted by the film

Scarpia

It's true that most of the music in the Star Wars saga is intended to fit like a glove to the film, but there are some cases where they simply cannot coexist.

For a long time I wanted to share this particular example with the community. At the beginning of A New Hope, when the escape pod with C-3PO and R2-D2 is launched, Williams achieves an extremely lyrical melody doubled in strings in a very lush fashion, with augmented chords in the trombones and horns. It was so inspiring for me when I listened to this isolated in the soundtrack CD for the first time, like an announcement of a big adventure yet to come.

But in the film, the music barely begins before is immediately silenced to make some not really necessary dialogue, in my opinion, audible. I think this little sequence would have worked perfectly as a silent one, with the music as the only highlight, because the reason the imperials had for not shooting down the pod are anyways explained to Darth Vader a moment later. The dialogue of the droids is not relevant either, so it was a perfect oportunity for this beautiful music to shine. Having seen this movie hundreds of times, I still can't get accustomed.

I wonder why Williams would compose something this big for a sequence like that, considering all that dialogue.

Do you feel this way about other parts of the Star Wars films? I'm very interested to know.

6:57 to the end.

One of the worst is in Revenge of the Sith, the scene where Obi-Wan leaves Padme's veranda and we see Anakin on the lava planet lamenting after his brutal murder of like 38 defenseless guys locked in a compound. It's just an epic fucking piece of music, but what do we hear? Spaceships everywhere, a water fountain (which sounds like Ben Burtt pissing on Williams' score) and then almost nothing except, um...lava?

That ROTS example may be top of the list !!

It's an important scene emotionally which Williams builds up beautifully and just when he reaches his climax (not counting the awesome fanfare afterwards), the music almost drops out and the stupid dripping takes centre stage, a very painful anticlimax.

It's almost the musical equivalent of just about to burst and Mother walks in without knocking!!

Quite true. It was a one-of-a-kind opportunity to let the music tell a pivotal part of the story. Williams builds this climax proficiently, but the final mix opted for more lava sounds, as if we didn't know where Anakin was, and disrupting the very intention of that scene.

That ROTS example may be top of the list !!

It's an important scene emotionally which Williams builds up beautifully and just when he reaches his climax (not counting the awesome fanfare afterwards), the music almost drops out and the stupid dripping takes centre stage, a very painful anticlimax.

It's almost the musical equivalent of just about to burst and Mother walks in without knocking!!

How...graphic.

It's more painful that Williams microedited the cue on CD :( (thank god for videogames)

Oh scarpia, the passage you mentioned from ANH is one of my favourite musical moments from that film. It never bothered me about the film scene, but maybe because i saw the film 1st and listened to the score in isolation years afterwards.

Oh scarpia, the passage you mentioned from ANH is one of my favourite musical moments from that film. It never bothered me about the film scene, but maybe because i saw the film 1st and listened to the score in isolation years afterwards.

It's also one of my favourites! I remember almost jumping in delight years ago when I listened to it, and even now I tend to repeat this fragment. What a gift.

One of the worst is in Revenge of the Sith, the scene where Obi-Wan leaves Padme's veranda and we see Anakin on the lava planet lamenting after his brutal murder of like 38 defenseless guys locked in a compound. It's just an epic fucking piece of music, but what do we hear? Spaceships everywhere, a water fountain (which sounds like Ben Burtt pissing on Williams' score) and then almost nothing except, um...lava?

I can't even remember this.

It's a spectacular flourish the likes of which were never heard before or since. Truly, one of the greatest John Williams moments ever.

Undeniably the best thing to happen to humanity since the invention of agriculture! :w00t:

It's like Ewan couldn't keep from laughing in that scene.

I've always thought this was a wrong take accidentally left in the definitive print.

The performances are really not so good there. Natalie Potman's "not Anakin!" sounds weak and high-schoolish. It's more evident when watching this clip isolated from the movie. I wonder what kind of preparation the actors did get from the director for this scene, that clearly was meant to be touching.

The music is the only element that pulls this part off, in my opinion.

That is awful, actually. Why didnt the director or editor catch that?

Probably because they were laughing too!

It's a spectacular flourish the likes of which were never heard before or since. Truly, one of the greatest John Williams moments ever.

Undeniably the best thing to happen to humanity since the invention of agriculture! :w00t:

Agriculture isn't even that good!

You're right! The creation of the pyramids and zigurats then?

I think the Star Wars movies, especially the Prequels distract from the awesomeness of the music in every scene.

I think the Star Wars movies, especially the Prequels distract from the awesomeness of the music in every scene.

Quite a statement! Do you have any highlight that would like to point out?

They should have never have released those movies! Just have John Williams compose music for them and put them away in a vault!

Better still, publish the complete scores, not just the concert arrangements, so orchestras could play the all the music around the world!!

Even the Padme's Funeral scene was hindered by sound effects. I'm not saying they should have just removed all sound effects and let the images and music tell the story, but...well, actually, that's exactly what they should have done. That was perhaps Williams' last truly great piece of music, it wasn't on the OST, rather a bunch of autopilot filler music was, and we could have at least gotten it from the DVD/Blu-ray!

(just ignore all the images, especially Darth Vader crossing his arms, which he would never have done, ever)

The performances are really not so good there. Natalie Potman's "not Anakin!" sounds weak and high-schoolish. It's more evident when watching this clip isolated from the movie. I wonder what kind of preparation the actors did get from the director for this scene, that clearly was meant to be touching.

The music is the only element that pulls this part off, in my opinion.

That is awful, actually. Why didnt the director or editor catch that?

Probably because they were laughing too!

Portman is a pretty bad actress, truthfully. She's doing the same schtick she's done since that Luc Beson film that started her career.

McGreggor can basically sell ice to eskimos without even trying, so its a little unfair in terms of talent in that scene.

Husbandry then! Bring on the meat!

The obi-wan/padme scene sounds dramatic enough in the spanish dubbing.

Even the Padme's Funeral scene was hindered by sound effects. I'm not saying they should have just removed all sound effects and let the images and music tell the story, but...well, actually, that's exactly what they should have done. That was perhaps Williams' last truly great piece of music, it wasn't on the OST, rather a bunch of autopilot filler music was, and we could have at least gotten it from the DVD/Blu-ray!

It's true. There wasn't any need to listen to all those footsteps and tinkling, but at least in this one I feel the kept the balance right: the music is still protagonic.

What bothers me more in this finale is the over-the-top roar of the Tantive IV's engines just at the beggining of a most beautiful rendition of the Force theme. I sense a lack of sensibility here.

The soundtracks are a disaster. The universe of sound effects they created is spectacular, but there was more of a balance back in the day. I think the issues really came about when films when into 5 channels or more of sound. So they realized they could cram in more sound effects.

Portman is a good actress, but not in the Prequels.

I think this is mainly caused by Lucas' reportedly unsympathetic way to work with actors (one can easily tell from the footage in the documentaries), and having so few elements to work with. There were a lot of sets that consisted mainly on green or blue screens, and in this kind of situation you need a director with deep artistic insight and even motivational skills to help the performers.

Of course, actors like Ian McDiarmid didn't seem affected by these issues, but they are also more experienced, and with considerable background in theatre work.

I would imagine being a theatre actor would help.

Some actors really don't need much in the way of direction and can depend on their own talent, charisma or bag of tricks. Liam Neeson for example was quite decent as Qui-Gonn. Simply because of Liam Neeson, not because of anything provided by the script or direction.

Pretty much every action scene...every now and again you hear some trumpets, otherwise all we hear is PYOW PYOW PYOW!!!! PYOW!!!!!!! BBBZZZZZZZRRRRR!!!! PYOW PYOW PYOW PYOW!!!!! *2 sec of trumpets* PYOW!!!! BZZZR!!!! BZZZZRR!!!! KRSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......."

Portman is a good actress, but not in the Prequels.

I think this is mainly caused by Lucas' reportedly unsympathetic way to work with actors (one can easily tell from the footage in the documentaries), and having so few elements to work with. There were a lot of sets that consisted mainly on green or blue screens, and in this kind of situation you need a director with deep artistic insight and even motivational skills to help the performers.

Of course, actors like Ian McDiarmid didn't seem affected by these issues, but they are also more experienced, and with considerable background in theatre work.

I largely agree with this. I'm a pretty ardent defender of Lucas (though I acknolwedge his faults and the faults of the prequels and all that) and find the VERY haphazzard set-up and execution of the dreadful droid factory scene in Episode II (which shows Lucas lacking in directorial skills when talking to Portman) - but at the same time, like you said, some of the actors did a much better job. McGregory, McDiarmid, Neeson - they all did very well with their scenes.

I always laugh at Ewan McGreggor's so-coy-its-forced "Thats... what I'm here for!" line in Episode II, which sold me on him as an actor of quality versus Portman's dinner theater rehearsal of "UR BREEKING MAH HART".

Pretty much every action scene...every now and again you hear some trumpets, otherwise all we hear is PYOW PYOW PYOW!!!! PYOW!!!!!!! BBBZZZZZZZRRRRR!!!! PYOW PYOW PYOW PYOW!!!!! *2 sec of trumpets* PYOW!!!! BZZZR!!!! BZZZZRR!!!! KRSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......."

True enough. But I can expect this treatment for action sequences, where the music is one more voice in the counterpoint of all sounds instead of being the sole actor telling the story. The visual element here is the most relevant, and sound effects and music should help this aspect.

Thankfully we've got the soundtrack albums to enjoy there well written and orchestrated pieces (or at least most of them, I'm really longing for a complete release of the Star Wars music).