"Don't you know you're not supposed to end a sentence in a preposition at?!?"

#82 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

I watched one opening after it won all of those awards, and I don't think I laughed once.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#83 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9463 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

I don't find half the sitcoms made over here funny. Depends what style of comedy you find funny really.

#84 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33938 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

I was really surprised that Pam left with Michael last week. I am glad 5 seasons in they are shaking things up

#85 Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10683 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

I was really surprised that Pam left with Michael last week. I am glad 5 seasons in they are shaking things up

It's a bit sudden, but I want to see how it plays out.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#86 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9463 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

Michael will come back. He doesn't have anything like what it takes.

#87 Jacob

Jacob

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Should be funny seeing him fall on his face trying to build his own startup.
Taping "Michael Scott Paper Company" to the Dunder Mifflin form was great.

#88 Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10683 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

Did anyone else think the end of the latest episode with Michael and Pam walking down the street was a nod to the ending to The Graduate? It felt that way to me.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#89 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

I didn't really like that ending...it seemed a bit too bizarre to me. They seem to be trying to bring back some of Pam's dreams into the show, which I like, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous for her to actually leave with Michael with that 0% chance of success.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#90 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9463 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

I liked the message it was conveying (Pam's dream & all), but I agree that it wasn't very realistic.

#91 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

It may not have been very realistic, but I thought it was a nice cathartic moment, sort of like her ember-walk in season 3. I'm hoping this twist keeps the show going in a good direction.

#92 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

Eh, it felt like a twist for the sake of a twist to me.

#93 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

We don't seem to see eye to eye very often with this show. :) If I'm not bitching about something, you are. :lol:

#94 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:47 AM

:) You know, that's true. I don't know why you're wrong so often. :lol:

#95 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:35 AM

Two good episodes tonight. Loved the new opening for the second episode

#96 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

I liked the second a lot, the first was pretty good I thought. Park and Recreation was pretty boring.

#97 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

The latest Office was great! I'm so happy to know that Michael will be back at the helm of the Scranton branch, and it'll be interesting to see how Pam is a saleswoman. And Ryan's is hilarious in his arrogance, glad he's back. It was great to see Michael in action, actually being smart (with both the negotiations and the "fishing pole vs fish").

The latest Office was great! I'm so happy to know that Michael will be back at the helm of the Scranton branch, and it'll be interesting to see how Pam is a saleswoman. And Ryan's is hilarious in his arrogance, glad he's back. It was great to see Michael in action, actually being smart (with both the negotiations and the "fishing pole vs fish").

#98 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Yes the second half of this season has been really good

Yes the second half of this season has been really good

#99 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

:)

#100 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

I quite enjoyed the Jim/Dwight/Charles detective exchange this week

#101 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

I thought that was one of the less funny bits, actually. Charles is too smart to be distracted by Dwight getting distracted.

I did love Jim making the kissy face to the camera.

#102 Datameister

Datameister

Stab me with socks in Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

Definitely one of my favorites of this not-terribly-funny season. (I really liked "Stress Relief," too.) The tension was built really well, and it was funny seeing Charles doing the same butt-kissing behaviors that work so well on him. And, of course, I'm glad to have everyone back in...well, the office! ;)

#103 Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8941 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

Yup, this latest episode was definitely one of the best of the season. It was almost epic, in a way, with the confrontation between the two competing companies. And I loved Michael showing some serious bargaining power....it's those rare moments when he displays an unexpected prowess or competence that make his character ultimately more endearing then annoying. I really enjoyed this recent plot of the off-shoot paper company, so I hope that continues as things get back to normal.

#104 Morlock

Morlock

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16149 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

I thought it was one of the best episodes ever...I'm still surprised that they managed to pull off Michael being good at what he does. We might have assumed it for a while, but the last couple of episodes really did a good job of convincing me that he really can be that good, without it seeming like a Deus Ex Machina.
I should be resisting this, but I'm paralyzed with rage... and island rhythms.

#105 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:14 AM

Great finale!!

Holly really is Michael's soul mate! They should just make her a regular and figure out a reason for her to move to Scranton

Jim and Pam being preggers was so cute!!!

#106 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

Agreed. The last two episodes were quite bad, IMO, but this one was back up to par. I agree, the ending was particularly great. I love how Jim and Pam don't even need to say anything, and yet you know exactly what happens.

#107 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

:D You thought the last 2 episodes were pretty bad? I thought the dance party episode was one of the best they've ever done!

#108 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

Eh, I thought it was better than the one before, but still a weak episode.

#109 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

Season 6 begins September 17th!

http://www.officetal...ieres-sept-17th

#110 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

Woo hoo! :lol:

#111 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9463 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Damn, I'll be in Vegas then, and probably too busy to watch TV.

#112 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32013 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

I still haven't seen past Season 3 of this show.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#113 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm hoping it's better than Season 5, which was easily the worst season thus far.

#114 Jay

Jay

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

• Administrators
  • 33938 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

Nah, season 1's the worst

#115 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9463 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

I didn't much like the starting-own-company subplot. Just didn't seem believable, even within that world.

Just hope they quit when they run out of story ideas. I hate seeing shows die a slow death.

#116 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

While the first season pales in the comparison to season 2 and 3, I think it contains some truly great moments. Michael's "You'll notice I didn't have anybody be an Arab. I thought things would get too explosive. No pun intended" is among the very best of the entire series. The fifth season seemed to be more sloppily patched together (one episode in particular seemed to completely destroy all the akward pauses, something that is really unique to the show) and as Richuck said less belieavable. I also found some of the ideas to start wearing thin--Jim's pranks on Dwight were less clever. That said, I still really enjoyed the 5th season, I just think it was by far the weakest yet.

#117 Koray Savas

Koray Savas

Rather Lovely Thing

• Members
  • 32013 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

I find the show to be too much of the same. A friend told me Jim and Pam are engaged and she's pregnant, so... the show really can't go on for much longer.
"Close Encounters to me is as good a piece of concert music as the 20th century has produced. Everybody fixates on... the Superman fanfare, or Star Wars - Main Theme, or the Raiders March. It's what happens after that, it's not the big popular hook where you go: 'My God John Williams is a genius.' Y'know it's the stuff which is maybe less hooky and less hummable, but is great art." - Hans Zimmer

#118 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

Yesterday was awesome. With some family members, I paid a visit to Dunder Mifflin...aka the Chandler Valley Center Studios in Van Nuys, CA. It was my second time going there to take a look at it from the outside, but this time was significantly more eventful. We were standing in front of the hedges outside the parking lot when a black car pulled up behind us on Saticoy Street. The man driving said, "How're you folks doing?", or something to that effect, and after my brain scrambled to put two and two together for a moment, I whispered to my sister, "That's David Wallace!" It was indeed Andy Buckley, the actor who plays him on the show, and he literally talked to us for, like, at least a minute, with his car stopped in the middle of the street. Very, very friendly...it was all small talk about where he grew up, and us being fans of the show, and them just starting the next season, and so forth. He shook our hands through the window and everything! Very surreal.

Then we hung around for a while longer and repeatedly saw Kate Flannery (Meredith) in the distance, talking with people in one of the parking lots. She never came anywhere near us, but a little while later, Leslie David Baker (Stanley) drove out of the lot in his car! He was wearing sunglasses, so it was hard to tell who exactly which one of us he was looking at, but as he pulled out of the gate, he slowed, turned his head in our direction, and said, "How you doin'?" with a smile! It was all very cool. I snuck a few shots here and there, though I didn't get any of Leslie or Andy. We tried to be respectful and not rabid fans or anything...I guess it paid off!

#119 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17574 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Wow, that sounds awesome!

#120 Datameister

Datameister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10187 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

Definitely! I'd like to go back if I get a chance in the fall...I bet they'll still be working on this coming season.

Here's Kate Flannery off in the distance:

Posted Image

And a shot of the front, where they had a ladder up in front of the SCRANTON BUSINESS PARK sign. They were putting up some fake plants and stuff, too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users