Jerry Goldsmith reincarnated...

Lady in Water is the best score I've heard this summer- hands down. Superbly orchestrated, beautiful themes, and so many excellent stylistic Goldsmithian devices without simply being a rip-off. Howard has pulled off another outstanding score for Shyamalan. I wish he could do more of these quality scores for other directors.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo APBez - the CD isn't released until the 18th (not until August 14th over here but as if that's going to stop me) so are you judging this purely on the clips at Soundtrack.net?

I can't wait for this :)

You've heard more than the online preview clips then? The entire OST release?

APBez

yes. And it's fantastic.

I don't want to elaborate too much as I'm reviewing this score but I did want to let everyone know that it's the best score I've heard thus far this year (followed closely by John Powell's stellar work on X3 and United 93).

So what did he rip off this time?

Stefancos- who noticed JNH pillaging from Goldsmith for Outbreak.

Goldsmith seems easy to spot.

Burga - who watched Outbreak recently and guessed it was Goldsmith before looking it up on the net later. :)

I was somewhat suprised at how much of Signs sounded like Herrmann and Goldsmith.

Shyamalan deliberately wanted a tribute to Hermann, but Goldsmith? I don't hear anything - got a specific part?

Trust me guys, this sounds like vintage JN Howard with a smattering of Goldsmith and Horner for good measure. I do think it sounds original and more importantly, really plain great.

Not without pulling the CD out and giving it a listen.

It's been awhile since I've listened to Signs but there was something that remided me of "The Light" from Poltegeist. Or maybe it was "The Mutant" from Total Recall.

I'll have to listen to it and see.

They're playing the "Prologue" on Sirius right now. Not bad at all.

Neil - who thinks FA's film score review will turn up in a month or so...