Oh wow. Thranduil's crown of leaves is certainly an original creation... Not half as bad as the starfish but certainly original. And Lee Pace actually looks pretty nifty in Elf make-up. I find his dark eyebrows amid all the blond complection uncanny to say the least. Scary. :P

First reaction: He looks odd. But the Pie Maker actually looks like he pretty much nails Thranduil's aloofness.

And then... *shudders*

What, you don't expect hot, sweaty sex between an elf and a half-god?

Frankly, after the announcement of the third film, I don't know what to expect anymore! It seems anything can happen in these films now! For all I know, the third film could end with Bilbo waking up, realizing all his adventures were only a dream.

Or it'll be a twist ending where everyone happens to be dead all along!

Oh wow. Thranduil's crown of leaves is certainly an original creation... Not half as bad as the starfish but certainly original. And Lee Pace actually looks pretty nifty in Elf make-up. I find his dark eyebrows amid all the blond complection uncanny to say the least. Scary. :P

First reaction: He looks odd. But the Pie Maker actually looks like he pretty much nails Thranduil's aloofness.

Indeed and there is even a slight resemblance with Orlando in those pictures. And they really wanted to show us Thranduil in advance. He won't come into the first film at all if I have understood correctly.

I know a lot more than you think!

You can read minds, not just mine?!!! :o Scary!

Oh right I'm wrong. Oh well I wonder how the restructuring of the two films into three will affect the ending of the first film if at all.

Oh, and that picture was not released officially. It's a scan from The Hobbit calendar for 2013. So they didn't really want to show us Thranduil in advance.

In any case, you're wrong, man!

If they didn't want us to show Thranduil in advance, why put him in a 2013 calendar? Doesn't that make it kind of official?

Think, man, think!

Also, I think Thranduil looks slightly too warrior-like. And menacing. I can't imagine that guy raising a wimp like Orlando Bloom.

Hey Thranduil Greenleaf is supposed to be a stern Elf King and I am sure he too is a badass warrior. It's not his fault Legolas turned out to be everybody's favourite wimp who jumps on horses from impossible angles, shield surfs and topples giant Mûmakili just like that. Lee Pace's image actually expresses well the certain detached and slightly otherworldly demeanor that separates Elves from Men.

I am sure there will be footage of Thranduil giving Orcs hell in the Battle of Five Armies, Legolas possibly trying to outdo his daddy in the battle.

But that's the point! I'm sure we'll discover in the films that Leggy has daddy issues. We'll find out that his father was a drunkard that beat him to death every time he came back from work.

Yeah those eyebrows are a sure sign of that! You are very perceptive BloodBoal!

Oh right I'm wrong. Oh well I wonder how the restructuring of the two films into three will affect the ending of the first film if at all.

I'm pretty sure the ending of the first film has changed. And maybe it'll cut off with their entry into Mirkwood.

So the first film is going to be 3 whole hours of PJ dwarf gags in the Shire?.....oh boy....

So the first film is going to be 3 whole hours of PJ dwarf gags in the Shire?.....oh boy....

It will be a Jackie Brown style tale of how the dwarves arrive on Bilbo's doorstep. Told once from the perspective of each individual dwarf.

And it is naturally intercut with flashbacks so it makes it even longer.

Rows over unemployment benefits and past infidelities which refuse to go away.

That would be bold! And relevant as well!

And it will have a brooding Howard Shore score to accompany all of this!

Oh wait...

Karol

Rows over unemployment benefits and past infidelities which refuse to go away.

That would be bold! And relevant as well!

And it will have a brooding Howard Shore score to accompany all of this!

Oh wait...

Karol

Bowed cymbals depicting mental anguish for the win!

Interesting. I agree with their outline of the first film with some additional White Council scenes perhaps. The second one is what I'm pretty skeptical about. I don't they'd begin with that sort of flashback, and I have a feeling that Smaug's death will be saved for the last film. But I think they nailed the epilogue for the third film.

Oh, and that picture was not released officially. It's a scan from The Hobbit calendar for 2013. So they didn't really want to show us Thranduil in advance.

In any case, you're wrong, man!

If they didn't want us to show Thranduil in advance, why put him in a 2013 calendar? Doesn't that make it kind of official?

Think, man, think!

It depends on when the calendar is going to be released (the guy who scanned it somehow managed to get it earlier)! If it's in December, then that's not "in advance". Think, man, think!

Also, I think Thranduil looks slightly too warrior-like. And menacing. I can't imagine that guy raising a wimp like Orlando Bloom.

But that's the point! I'm sure we'll discover in the films that Leggy has daddy issues. We'll find out that his father was a drunkard that beat him to death every time he came back from work.

Why would anyone release a 2013 calendar two weeks before 2012 ends? Just in order to not give away the design of some characters?That would be stupid marketing.I can totally see Legolas having a killing duel with his dad, counting wargs at the battle of five armies."You have much to learn, my young apprentice!"

Thats the problem with making this a trilogy! Despite the undoubtedly overblown battle that Jackson will make The Battle of the Five Armies to be, Smaug is sort of the main feature of the story. Getting rid of him with an entire film still to go is kind of problematic.

Maybe they could end with Smaug leaving the mountain and heading for Laketown.