I am sure Gandalf is keen on turning back in the Anduin Valley and back tracking across the Misty Mountains to reach the High Fells. Plus I suppose he calls Ragdy to meet him there at some point during his journey back.

Sigh...

Bilbo is already telling us this story as a flashback, not Gandalf will be telling it as a flashback too. A flashback within a flashback? Was this film directed by Nolan?

The dwarves already had a flashback for the Azog battle...

But that was unconnected to the main story. This is an event that happens in the main timeline of the film....

Are we sure that the entire story isn't revealed to be a dream of a pet cat Bilbo and Frodo keep at Bag End, which is revealed to be the dream of a dog that is napping in Tolkien's study in 1953?

This is why my theory that the High Fells sequence will be the Prologue of TDOS makes PERFECT SENSE!

Think about it. The film opens with a wide shot of Rivendell. After a couple of establishing shots we arrive and Gandalf and Galadriel talking, which we saw in the last movie, but now there is more dialogue where Galadriel tells Gandalf to investigate the High Fells of Rhudaur. Cut to him packing up and leaving Rivendell, Some wide shots of him traveling, then arriving at the entrance. Then he goes inside and the scene is as described in the comic con footage. After the scene ends, we cut to Gandalf with the dwarves in the Eagles' Carrock - Maybe he is describing the story to the company, maybe he is just pondering on it - and the main story continues.
Since they originally had 2 films in mind and therefore only filmed 2 prologues, this could be a nice ad-hoc middle film prologue. It also is nice because it sets up the Dol Guldur showdown, which I think is for certain to be resolved by the end of Film 2.

I would thik it would be more likely, the Thrain scene would be in either AUJ-EE or TABA ("where did I go Bilbo? Let me tell it to you!, I did all this crap! I could have died!")

Since footage from Gandalf meeting Thrain was in the original teaser made when there was only 2 films planned, it could still be shown where it was originally planned to be (what is now the first half of TDOS). I doubt it will only appear in EE.

"Oh yeah, you didn't ask (well you did a while back...but...), But I will tell you how I got that key BTW"

The prologue can't really have Gandalf meeting Thrain in Dol Guldur, as great as that would be. It's apparent from the first film that Gandalf can't have been to Dol Guldur in recent years - otherwise what Radagast says would not be news to him. He also has Glamdring in this footage. Evidently, Gandalf must find Thrain in the present. It has yet to happen in the timeline of the film.

Of course, Gandalf must still have met Thrain before and acquired the map and key. I think the Visual Companion suggests Moria. Possibly when Thrain went mad he ventured into Moria. It's not unthinkable that the second film might begin with a recap of what happened to Thrain. They might try and tie the Dwarven Rings into this segment as well. Perhaps we could even learn that Thrain glimpsed Durin's Bane whilst in Moria.

Obviously it would have been much simpler to follow the books, but the films seem to have made a rod for their own back. Unless they just disregard everything they've shown to date and just follow the books.

This is true, but it's difficult to explain away Gandalf's shock at what Radagast tells him. This surely wouldn't be news to him if he'd been to Dol Guldur any time in the past 50 years. But logic doesn't always apply in these films, so who knows?

Since they made the identity of the Necromancer a mystery for the Grey Wizard to solve, we can assume that Gandalf hasn't been to Dol Guldur at any point thus far in the film interpretation of this history. The fact that he possesses the key and the map is a bit more puzzling though, when they were supposed to come from Thráin. They quite conveniently leave out the bit where Thorin asks where Gandalf came by these items and he tells of his visit to the dungeons of Dol Guldur when in his usual style he was finding things out for his own purposes.

If Gandalf has been to Dol Guldur before and found Thráin, I would like to hear the explanation for him going there in the first place since in PJs version Necromancer wasn't a serious problem for the White Council until Radagast found out about corruption of the forest and that Necromancer was living in Dol Guldur.

If Gandalf has been to Dol Guldur before and found Thráin, I would like to hear the explanation for him going there in the first place since in PJs version Necromancer wasn't a serious problem for the White Council until Radagast found out about corruption of the forest and that Necromancer was living in Dol Guldur.

And with that the film makers re-recreate the problem Tolkien solved by writing "The Quest Of Erebor"

If the resurgence of Evil from remnants of Mordor was not an issue in Gandalf's mind when he set out with the Dwarrow in their Quest. What is his interest in it?

Tolkien retconned that by stating that Evil was already stirring and the dragon Smaug could be recruited to some terrible effect. (an explanation that never really worked for me, but still).

In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey...what IS Gandalf doing helping these Dwarrow?

So when Desolation Of Smaug comes out, will people here, when listening to these scores place "The Edge of the Wild" in their edits for that film or the first one?

And to think all of this hinges on whether Gandalf knew about Sauron residing in Dol Guldur at the time of the Hobbit or not. By making it all a mystery the film makers have to further compress and simplify a whole lot of information in a way that causes some of it to become muddled and a bit prolematic when they try to straighten the story by offering non-canon explanations along the way.

I think a good and proper flashback of Gandalf second sojourn to Dol Guldur (when he gets the key and the map and discovers that Necromancer is indeed Sauron) at some point of the first film might have worked much better than the whole business with Radagast and tombs and Morgul blades.

I wonder, will the OST release for DOS contain The Edge Of The Wild in a slightly rewritten form?

I think it depends on did they tinker with the scene a lot after it was finished and added to DOS.

I wonder, will the OST release for DOS contain The Edge Of The Wild in a slightly rewritten form?

Well, there is a string variation of the "Edge of the Wild" theme in the Production Diaries...

Well, there is a string variation of the "Edge of the Wild" theme in the Production Diaries...

I bet there was again tons and tons of different material recorded at the sessions with brilliant unreleased stuff amidst the partial takes and sweeteners and inserts.

And there is an alternate softer and faster take of the harp right after the "dissonance" in Old Friends.

I bet there was again tons and tons of different material recorded at the sessions with brilliant unreleased stuff amidst the partial takes and sweeteners and inserts.

And you will never get it!

We have hours of alternates from LotR as it stands so we might get a hefty amount of them from LotR as well. I prefer the more relevant alternate pieces anyway, not the subtle change of oboe to cor anglais in the middle of bar 25 in a 10 minute cue. A different approach or more extensive change in a piece is much more interesting. Like e.g. Prologue and Prophecy.

I prefer the more relevant alternate pieces anyway, not the subtle change of oboe to cor anglais in the middle of bar 25 in a 10 minute cue.

That's why I never liked you. You don't know how to appreciate such subtleties.

I still want the theatrical version of the Shire/Hobbit theme that was replaced by Gandalf singing in the EE.

Its funny, is that the Hobbit opening references that opening, and the EE has a different version LOL.

I prefer the more relevant alternate pieces anyway, not the subtle change of oboe to cor anglais in the middle of bar 25 in a 10 minute cue.

It's funny, because I can seem to get myself into following the numerous micro-edits and insignificant alternates (some that might just differ by the presence of a gong strike!). I think the obsession with such frivolous details often allows one to lose sight of the bigger picture.

As Incanus said, I prefer analyzing alternates that differ largely in composition and structure, like The Prophecy and The Prologue. Or perhaps alternates that have different thematic approaches or drastic shifts in the musical colours used. Having said that, there's numerous alternates that aren't changed up too much that I love. For instance, I love the chanting choral bit in the "Flight to the Ford" alternate.

It's funny, because I can seem to get myself into following the numerous micro-edits and insignificant alternates (some that might just differ by the presence of a gong strike!). I think the obsession with such frivolous details often allows one to lose sight of the bigger picture.

In case you hadn't noticed, I was being ironic.

alternates that aren't changed up too much.....the chanting choral bit in the "Flight to the Ford" alternate.

Uhhh.......

I think a better example of something not being changed too much, is the alternate Rivendell, with the strings, instead of the flutes.

In case you hadn't noticed, I was being ironic.

Well I did notice. My response was a long time coming though, so I'd thought I just respond to you.

Lol lots of it is true The eagles thing is something that stems from the books, so there isnt that much one can do about that. It was probably a mistake to show the Lonely Mountain from the Craddock though.

Billy__Crash__Craddock.jpg

The eagle Craddock has landed.

Cool pics! I am sure Fry will be suitably smarmy and oily in the role. :)