Stephen Colbert is the man!

Nice glimpse of the Master of Laketown. He couldn't be more oily. Also Thranduil's throne had nice deer horns motif going on.

PJ is getting back into his Hobbity appearance. Good, good. Perhaps this means that he is getting more jovial as well as far as the scoring process goes. ;)

I think you are talking about Philippa Boyens.

I still think yogurt and müsli diet PJ had after RotK turned him into a meanie.

Come one! Truth can be harsh! It is all in the documentaries man!

But she has really come around since then hasn't she?

But she has really come around since then hasn't she?

Not in terms of writing, it seems, unfortunately...

That's harsh dude! Really harsh!

But true, sadly.

Yeah, but you know what they say: truth can be harsh!

Ain't that the truth. Amen!

The film makers' plans for Mirkwood look promising if the concept art and few glimpses of the sets in the production diaries are anything to go by.

“The great thing about the second movie, as with [Lord Of The Rings] The Twin Towers,

ROTFLMAO

The things that are wrong with the Hobbit production encapsuled in this one flub.

By the way, BloodBoal, I'm dissapointed you didn't pull the April Fool's joke about replacing Shore. I was sure someone would do that.

I feel like there was a lack of april fools tomfoolery this year all around, outside of XKCD, reddit, and google

PJ should go a bit further and make all the actors wear green gimp suits so they can digitally paint a more realistic image of the characters on top of that. Gandalf, Bilbo and Thorin look so fake in the film now. CG would give them more realism.

The Hobbit's Baddie Talks!

And we have another confirmation that Azog will be in all three films:

You're heading back to New Zealand this summer to shoot more scenes. Can you give any hints about what they'll involve?

Not really, because I've not yet seen the scripts. But Peter's told me that he's going to build Azog up over the next two films, so I'm getting plenty to do.

Great. So a baddie that wasn't even in the book will probably end up having more screentime than Smaug, Saruman or even Sauron. How cool is that?

Uncool bro, uncool.

While Azog is the least of the film's troubles I found that his inclusion into the plot was quite forced when a solution closer to Tolkien might have been found.

Honesty what is wrong with Azog?

Closer to Tolkien? What do you mean?

Azog should be dead and buried. I feel that having him resurrected after 100 years of being dead by whatever means to become the main antagonist of the story is a bit forced that's all.

That is really only an issue if you are a serious Tolkien nut. They could have had the exact same character, give him a different name like Gorlurz or something and no one would complain

Structurally having a identifiable villain in the first film before they get to the dragon is a good idea.

That is really only an issue if you are a serious Tolkien nut. They could have had the exact same character, give him a different name like Gorlurz or something and no one would complain

Structurally having a identifiable villain in the first film before they get to the dragon is a good idea.

I agree that having an identifiable villain is good. Especially as a driving force, which the novel doesn't have as such as the company stumbles into these small episodic adventures along the way. They just could have handled it with more loyalty to Tolkien's writing instead of going on a wild tangent with Azog and his sudden resurrection. I have already mentioned Bolg as a more logical and even more in line with Tolkien's concepts as a preferable villain but I guess we have to settle on the Hook-Hand Harry and his warg pack of gloom.

But as you say most people don't care about these things.

Ok, so if they had the exact same character, but named him Bolg, it would have been fine with you?

No not quite. I would have demanded a more elaborate exposition for his hatred for Thorin, perhaps a logical motivation to avenge his father Azog and in the later films the villain might have seen that he could achieve both the destruction of his enemy's kingdom and steal his treasures and also kill him so he raises the armies of Orcs to assault the Lonely Mountain for twofold purpose. More faithful to Tolkien and would have achieved a good effect. Now we have this albino zombie/hook handed creature, who just wants the Dwarves dead because he can.

But I am sure the whole "Azog was raised from dead by Necromancer or is at least in cahoots with him" subplot will become apparent in the next film.