Weekly JW Score Review#2: Catch Me If You Can

Miguel Andrade

Since our first one has kind of faded away...

Catch Me if you Can, the jazz score that really isn't. Still all the inflections of the jazz idiom are there, just as any of Gershwin atempts in incorporating jazz in concert works, such as his Rhapsodies for piano, his ballet An American in Paris, or his Piano Concerto.

Williams refers to a certain kind of jazz, but his music is classcally constructed, and the jazz elements are augmented with the sensible use of soloists close to jazz (alto saxophone and vibraphone), and that come close to sound improvised at times -- though they never are.

The score is firmly set on three themes, that open the album, and the rest of it are a set of variations over them, working them all together at times.

The first one, the main title theme, could be called the FBI theme, a theme for Tom Hanks carachter quest, with a sense of urgency and even menacing at times. The use of finger claps and ushs, bring a sense of ease and collness to it, while retaining the almost hunting feel to it, just as much as in Williams classic theme for Jaws.

The Float, the theme for DiCaprio antics is so full of optimism, just a sweet joy ride (as Williams later called this on his suite "Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra"), of someone that is not only young at age, but surelly young at heart, and unafraid of breaking the boundaries. Saxophone and vibraphone share the stage with such an happy feel, and so well backed up by orchestra, with some hints of christmas at times -- you do feel like a kid opening Santa's gifts. Still, the piece ends with the menacing shush of the opening theme.

Finally, Recollections, is the Angela's Prayer of this score. While in Angela's Ashes, you would feel the anguish of an abandoned mother, in Catch Me If You Can you find a father that still can find his happiness on his dreams, at night. The theme is so delicate, so soft and tender, and so full of altruist love, and just as the cello in the earlier score, you can fell the saxophone cry a warm tear.

There is such joy to be found in this jazzy influenced score, such sheer optimism even in the sadness of the father figure (with such a brilliant performance by Christopher Walken), and that as always, Johnny Williams, somewhere set between great inteligence and profound sensibilty, finds the right musical movements to tell the story and set the tone.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m particulary fond of the strings that back the statements of the FBI theme, they seem to grow and grow and then just take another unexpected turn.

The Father´s theme is one of my favorites and Miguel´s description is spot on, and there is indeed somethinh very fatherly and masculine about this theme, where as Angela´s Prayer was very motherly and feminine in its fragility.

Still, and while I do agree with you on the masculine side of this father's theme, it is not the usual maculinity one usually thinks of, but a kind of dreamly one... I find it somewhat hard to explain, and I think i only fully dealized the depth of this when I become a father my self.

Walken's character lives and breeds of his dreamns and passions, and finds the strenght to live on throught them, and I guess on that sense it can become a very personal and introverted kind of work. There is a diferent kind of desolation than o Anngela's Ashes, were we live an obvious tragedy. In here is a very personal emotional drama. And Williams translate that to music so well... the tone is so perfect.

Catch Me If You Can is as you described Miguel a jazz influenced and a light hearted score full of sense of fun and adventurous spirit but it has a darker and more melacholy side represented by the theme for the Father of Frank Abagnale.

The Father's theme has a haunting forlorn quality and it is extremely tragic and warm at the same time. There is a sense of loss in it, a sense of regret, a nostalgia. The saxophone sings almost a lament that continues as a jazzy and winding solo throughout the piece while the strings bring the warmth to it and suddenly in the end the saxophone solo gains a subtle hint of hope and energy but that soon dissipates into silence in the downbeat final notes of the piece. The music describes the feelings of both Frank and his father. Their sorrow and dismay about their family breaking apart and as the title of the piece suggests recollections of the happy days of the past and what they have lost. There is also warmth in the piano version of the theme, a kind of reconciliatory tone as Frank sr. is sorry for the turn their life has taken. There is love in the music and tenderness as well but in a subtle guise. And as you said Miguel it is a perfect portrait of the father in the film.

The main title theme which is for the FBI and for agent Carl Hanratty in particular is a constantly searching and moving piece always on the hunt. It was called Closing In theme by Williams himself and it vividly paints a picture of a pursuit and suspence. The strings spin those little nervous figures the vibraphone and saxophone in question and answer style and bass joins the saxophone in quasi improvisations. The pace constantly quickens but the volume remains the same creating a light and breezy atmosphere. The theme can become tense when needed but usually it keeps to light hearted variations following Tom Hank's characters progress and the way he little by little gains clues on Frank and his scams.

The Float theme is one about fun and sense of adventure and discovery. It flows without a care and bounces from one caper to another with ease. Energetic and light on its feet this theme constantly exudes youthful enthusiasm and has a mischievous quality.

I'm not one to make in depth analysis of music, really. But I do thoroughly enjoy Catch Me If You Can. I've never taken the time to compile it in film order, rather just letting the album work like an album instead of a retelling of the story. The main theme is fun, as is The "Float" and Recollections is a gorgeous piece, great for evening listens.

The album does loose some of my attention after a while, though, because I'm not a big fan of all of these songs (Come Fly With Me is great fun, but the other songs don't grab me). I usually let my attention wander from the music when a song comes up, so I often tend to miss some of the latter tracks. The pairs of orchestral tracks also always tend to be a combination of a light and a sad track, so that gets a little repetitive as well to me (not the music itself, but the compilation).

Good score, that doesn't get that much play time (there's a long list of scores I would pick up sooner than this one), but when it does get played, I always enjoy it.

I like the Float theme and the Father's theme.I don't like the Main Title theme.

there is also this little motif that appears at the end of some cues(Learning the ropes and others) which I like.I think this little motif is even more present in the film.

K.M.

Although I love all three main themes, the one cue (or track) I was really impressed with from the start is "Learning the Ropes." It incorporates a brief and lovely rendition of the Father's Theme, but what I really like about it is the optimism, the lightheartedness and ambition of this long piece.

My two favorite moments are from 2:23 - 2:42 (unused in the movie, but so exhilarating somehow; I don't understand why Spielberg didn't want it for the scene where the gorgeous flight attendants get off the cab) and from 5:27 - 5:50 (this sax solo is one of my absolute favorites; this is Williams at his "jazzy" best).

Also, I love the section from 0:57 - 1:06, which I have come to think of as the "MacGyver" section. This reminds of Randy Edelman's opening to the MacGyver Theme, which kinda fits, for Frank Abagnale is up to some sort of MacGyverism -- forging a cheque.

LOL

I love this score, and I think the film is one of Spielberg's finest. The pop tunes on the CD make it even a better listening experience. Love the saxophone solos. Just a great fun score and I love that it came out at Christmas time in 2002. It took me a long time to get the meter changes in the Float but I got it eventually. Just like the meter changes in The Ferry Scene. Williams is really really into meter change more than any other film composer out there.

I think that the "Closing In" is very reminiscient of Jaws motif. Its a very small motif that immediately adds tension and suspense.

My favorite part of "Recollections" is the brass during the middle of the piece. It is so beautiful and with the sax solos in front it really makes a warm and loving sound.

Catch Me If You Can was really, in my experience, the first modernistic score from Williams. Even though AI and Minority Report use modern ideas, this has more artistry. Could be because I am such a jazz fan, and I love the marimba.

Oh and dont forget, there IS another theme in the film for Franks fiancee, which is very related to Franks theme.

hahahha! I say the same thing to students! Well I was just trying to make it distinguishable. These are the changes Im talking about.

3 7 4 3

4 8 4 4

This is one of my favorite Williams scores. I admit, most of the excitement lies within the first few tracks, but "the rest" that follows is a great listen as well. I haven't really read in between the lines on the emotions of these pieces as others here have, but you do raise interesting points in just how expressive that music might actually be.

I also enjoy most of the songs on the CD.