My 'Heidi' remastered deluxe edit

GoodMusician

Hey all!

So ,with some cool news. I recently came into possession of the LP rip of 'Heidi,' which has the John Williams tracks with narration by the two main actors over them.

I attempted to clean them but unfortunately the sound quality is just not great. I tried cleaning it to try to get the whole thing clean, but then I realized it would be more fruitfull to layer just the voices over the album.

When I checked the album, I found the release to be very poor in quality...so spurred my efforts into remastering it.

It wasn't that hard. If any of you are familiar with the Don Davis promo release of Jurassic Park 3, this was pretty much the same thing with some more minor tweaking (to correct for bad edits and mixes).

Some of the tracks had minor edits, looping segments to make the tracks longer. I removed those so some of the track times are different because of this.

Does anyone know if 'Heidi' is on tape or dvd? I'd like to check the album against it for it's completeness and also becuase there are some weird edits that I wonder if they were intended to be that way... and if not, what to call the tracks (instead of by the album title '(Part #)'.

I have to say, I enjoy this score. It's very different than most John Williams scores. It has bits of 'Jaws,' almost blatantly 'Goodbye, Mr. Chips,' 'A.I,' 'Towering Inferno,' 'Superman,' 'Spacecamp,' and almost a nieve feel to it which is almost conforting and different than the normal John Williams in a way.

The Oboe/wind parts in this are so gorgous too.

Right now the track list is looking something like this:

Disc 1 (37:56)

01) Main Title - [2:20]

02) The Arrival - [1:57]

03) The Alm - [3:37]

04) The Old Man and the Child - [1:31]

05) The Old Man and the Child (Part 2) - [0:53]

06) Dancers in the Night (Love Theme) - [1:27]

07) The Sleeping Child - [3:26]

08) Meditation - [2:23]

09) Shadows - [3:54]

10) Reflections - [1:54]

11) Reflections (Part 2) - [1:34]

12) Reflections (Part 3) - [0:43]

13) Alone in Zurich - [0:43]

14) Alone in Zurich (Part 2) - [0:14]

15) Alone in Zurich (Part 3) - [1:12]

16) Love Theme - [2:58]

17) The Miracle - [3:50]

18) Finale - [3:21]

Disc 2

*Narrated Album*

01) Main Title - [2:20]

02) The Arrival of Heidi - [2:47]

03) The Alm - [3:36]

04) Heidi Stays - [3:32]

05) The Sleeping Child - [2:25]

06) Meditation and The Eagle - [2:30]

07) Of Mist and Shadow - [3:50]

08) Reflections - [3:31]

09) Going Home - [0:46]

10) Heidi Returns - [1:55]

11) The Uncel Visits - [2:25]

12)

13)

14)

#) "A Place of My Own' (Vocal) - [2:43]

I'll post the finished track list when I'm...well... finished heh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie, i have the DVD, so if no one else is able to get you a copy, let me know, and I'll try my best :D

I also love this score, and just the other day, I was sent a new rip of the LP... maybe from the same person?

I have a copy of the LP, and have been willing to rip it to check if the sound quality is better, but haven't had the time...

Hey yea, miguel. I'm sure we got it from the same person heh.

If you know of how to get a cleaner rip... or if you can rip the audio from your heidi dvd or even check the album against it yourself... that would be great

You know how to contact me heh

Does anybody know who wrote the lyrics for the song in Heidi (A Place of My Own) and who sings it on the original soundtrack? I cannot find anything in the liner notes. I wondered whether the singer could be Jennifer Edwards (who played Heidi in the movie), but the voice sounds too 'old'.

:)

This sounds promising GoodMusician! I am really looking forward to this. Heidi is a lovely score from Williams' early period.

How is the sound on that DVD? 5.1? Probably mono or a weak stereo mix?

-Chrusher, Who buys more DVDs now that he has a 51" HDTV and an HD-Upconverting DVD player than he did when he only had a regular TV and DVD player.

How is the sound on that DVD? 5.1? Probably mono or a weak stereo mix?

-Chrusher, Who buys more DVDs now that he has a 51" HDTV and an HD-Upconverting DVD player than he did when he only had a regular TV and DVD player.

I think is either mono or a fake stereo. But have to check when I get home later today.

Well, I'm nearly finished with Disc 2. I went back and played with some things on disc 1 but I've finished it for now unless anyone has any complaints or something I can fix tracks that need to be as it was kinda difficult trying to get the best balance from a very narrow stereo to a broad stereo we're so use to.

There is a bit of hiss, and I minimized some of it, but I figured it was better to leave hiss than to excessively try to remove it.

It's kinda loud, but again, this is to help with the sound. Rather than have it so quiet you have to turn it up really loud which adds to the hiss, I made it loud so you can turn it down (which I prefer). It's not so loud it creates noise though so that should not be a problem.

Anyways, the track list for disc 1 is in the first post, I just want to say its finished and posted. Disc 2 is close behind. I've also updated that disc's track list so check that out.

What I have says it's sung by someone by the name of 'Carri Chase,' and the lyrics were by 'Rod McKuen.'

Thanks for the answer, GoodMusician. I'd never heard of Rod McKuen but he seems like something of a Jack of all trades, if the interweb is to be believed. See Rod McKuen official site.

;)

• 2 months later...

I'm finishg downloading your Heidi set, nad was wondering if you did use the DVD as a sourcece. I never did check if it had some additional muisc, but as i mentioned earlier, if you need it, I can get you a copy ;)

• 4 months later...
It wasn't that hard. If any of you are familiar with the Don Davis promo release of Jurassic Park 3, this was pretty much the same thing with some more minor tweaking (to correct for bad edits and mixes).

Some of the tracks had minor edits, looping segments to make the tracks longer. I removed those so some of the track times are different because of this.

What has JP3 to do with Heidi??

Wasnt the Don davis promo...the intended version of his cues?

I said the editing was the same.

The Don Davis promo was too narrowly mixed, just like Heidi. In both cases, I had to widen the sound and a few other things. I dunno if the promo was the "intended versions" but they were definately versions lol.. although they probably were.