Star Wars 30th Anniversary

mcdaid72000

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean the prints were damaged, the way I heard it was that they permanently modified them for either the 97 release or the dvd's, I don't remember which one.

How does one modify a completed print? ;)

They didn't kill the 70's, they made them even greater.

No, they killed the 70's, and jump started the 80's, where Jerry Bruckheimer, the root of all things evil, came into existance. Altman? Dead. Took him a decade to rediscover himself. Coppola? Teetering at near death for the 80's, and basically dead in the 90's. Friedken? Dead. Frankenheimer? Relegated to crap. Bogdanovich? Dead. Towne? Dead. Resurfaced to write the Chinatown sequel and the M:I movies. Lumet? More or less dead. And the list goes on. So many great creaters of the 70's were crippled by Star Wars, which lead to Spielberg's dominance in the 80's, and then to Tony Scott and James Cameron and, again Bruckheimer. No one person is the least bit to blame, they're just making movies, many of them damn fine. But I can imagine an 80's which showed all of the 30 and 40 year old adolescants of the 70's gradually mature, and not be thrown out to the cold and have to fight their way back in, many unsuccessfully.

Of all of them, Scorsese is the only one, the only director made by the late 60's, early 70's filmmaking that was consistantly on the top of the latter. Altman got lucky in the early 90's. Spielberg was not part of the 70's culture, aside from enjoying the benefits. He made one genuine 70's film (Sugarland), moved into a film that should have been a failure in any decade (Jaws) and is a light 70's film, and then dived into the 80's with CE3K.

And besides all that, Virtually no great 70's films were made after Star Wars- I think The Deer Hunter was the last one. No, Star Wars killed the 70's and created the 80's, surely the most embarassing decade in the 20th century. Many great things about, many great film, but the pop culture is...well, 80's.

Just a reminder: cinema history didn't began in 1977. There are many more movies well before STAR WARS which changed the way movies are made today and how we perceive them. Actually STAR WARS didn't even invent the blockbuster genre.

STAR WARS is a milestone, a cinema masterpiece and also a worldwide pop-cultural phenomenon, so it's fair to acknowledge all that. But there are so many movies to which STAR WARS is in debt and without whom probably it wouldn't even saw the light of the day.

But 2001, King Kong, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, to name a few, didn't add a bunch of worthless CGI shots and scenes that ruined the flow of the film upon their theatrical/DVD/VHS/anniversary releases.

They didn't kill the 70's, they made them even greater.

Marie Currie didn't destroy Hiroshima.

I think Lucas is closer to Einstein, or even Oppenheimer. He created something out of good intentions, but could not forsee the consequences (Okay, I guess Oppenheimer is a bit too close- Einstein fits).

And, BTW, of course Currie destroyed Hiroshima. Or rather, her spirit, of 'let's find out everything about everything' did it. Humans like to learn, to explore, to invent...without forseeing the remifications. Currie is not to blame for Hiroshima, but it can't be avoided that without her, it might not have happened.

I wasn't saying it was their fault, they were just a couple of talented guys who made very good films. But they single handedly killed off the 70's, the greatest decade for cinema ever, and gave us Jerry Bruckheimer. If there was never any ground braking film like Star Wars, or Jaws, that showed the studios how much money could be made in pure entertainment. Those films made so many great filmmakers obsolete, many of them never recovered, or took a long time to recover.

I think it's time we start blaming the audiences as well because they are the ones who are paying to sit thru some of that mindless shit that is on screen.

Just because it's out there doesn't mean you have to go see it.

Star Wars can hardly be blamed for the decrease in quality of the work of all the directors you mentioned.

Of course it can. The studios stopped paying for films that were not geared towards the largest possible audience. It restarted the 60's mentality of "Well, if two big star make the film gross 20 million, than let's get 10, and we'll make 100 million", except that this time around it was "Well, if a film with one explosion makes 100 millions, just think how much money we'll make with 10 explosions!".

Films have always been crappy. This is the same as each generation pining for the days long gone. The great movies that we all love today were either considered crappy in their day, or were the few exceptions to the rules. Consider all the thousands of movies that have been forgotten. Now consider that many of the modern ones will be forgotten or become classics.

It's all nostalgia people, and you can't blame anything on any one movie. Movies have always pushed the limits of special effects and technology (Gone with the Wind is a HUGE example), Ben-Hur, etc.

Coppolla, for example, made his biggest project ever after Star Wars.

Apocalypse Now was made before Star Wars, and thought up several years before (When Lucas was going to direct it). It just took him over 2 years to edit. I don't believe it would have gone into production after Star Wars (well, maybe on a far less flexible budget, after the success of The Deer Hunter).

Films have always been crappy. This is the same as each generation pining for the days long gone.

I don't believe that films as a rule are crappy today.

It's all nostalgia people, and you can't blame anything on any one movie. Movies have always pushed the limits of special effects and technology (Gone with the Wind is a HUGE example), Ben-Hur, etc.

Yes, but there were successful biblical epics and civil war movies before. Space Operas were not in-vogue in the 60's and 70's, and Star Wars came after a revolution that occured in the American film world in the late 60's and early 70's. The goal of most filmmakers was to make a film that was here and now, about people's lives, not escapism. Star Wars came along and gave people a big bunch of in-your-face escapism, and one that people wanted, certainly. And in breaking B.O. records, in a way no film had except for Jaws (Everyone expected Gone With The Wind, The Sound of Music and the Godfather to be huge hits), it caused a jolt in the studios, who decided that escapism is obviously what people wanted. It is one film that caused a revolution.

The trend was big Box Office, not something every film can stand up to. In fact, almost no filmmakers could stand up to that, which is why Spielberg was king, because he is the one who found the right formula.

And people still live in the past... :P

sorry but thats an idiots response.

Drax gets it, the rest of you don't,

and red rabbit, what a fucking stupid response to my post.

its just a movie,

how ignorant.

its movie that change film history, like it or not, the movie I saw, that many here saw in 1977 is superior to the crapfest cgi garbage that so many worship today.

without Star Wars there is no Lotr, no suckass Spiderman films, etc. It all started with Star Wars, not Star Wars a New Hope, just Star Wars.

Star Wars is the only one of the 6 movies that is turning 30. It should be given its due, its place of importance in film history, in film music history.

back to red rabbits extremely stupid and ignorant reponse, if its just a movie, then why are you even posting here.

Movies are a reflection of history, of the current culture. Its a snapshot of a time and a place. Sure its entertainment, but to devalue it with your snide ignorant comment, hell you shouldn't be allowed in a serious discussion about film and film music because of your lazy attitude towards it.

Maybe one day, those of you who don't get it will, but I wouldn't be so stupid as to hold my breath.

It really sad that so many of you younger guys devalue the greater films in John Williams cannon, cause is sure isn't his recent films that deserve that kind of praise. Munich and Geisha won't move the masses, the way Star Wars did. You wont see generations of fan line up 20 years from now to see Attack of the Geisha's, or Revenge of the Geisha's. Get a fucking clue.

Wow. I really don't know how to react to that. Maybe I did make a stupid remark, but I don't think that I deserve that. But then again, I've been wrong before. I never said that the newer versions of the film were better. They are not, and anyone who has sight can see that. Nor did I say that the original version shouldn't be preserved. Of course it should, and it is shame that it hasn't. But at the end of the day, it is just a movie, and I don't think that it should be taken that seriously.

And people still live in the past... :P

sorry but thats an idiots response.

Drax gets it, the rest of you don't,

and red rabbit, what a fucking stupid response to my post.

its just a movie,

how ignorant.

its movie that change film history, like it or not, the movie I saw, that many here saw in 1977 is superior to the crapfest cgi garbage that so many worship today.

without Star Wars there is no Lotr, no suckass Spiderman films, etc. It all started with Star Wars, not Star Wars a New Hope, just Star Wars.

Star Wars is the only one of the 6 movies that is turning 30. It should be given its due, its place of importance in film history, in film music history.

back to red rabbits extremely stupid and ignorant reponse, if its just a movie, then why are you even posting here.

Movies are a reflection of history, of the current culture. Its a snapshot of a time and a place. Sure its entertainment, but to devalue it with your snide ignorant comment, hell you shouldn't be allowed in a serious discussion about film and film music because of your lazy attitude towards it.

Maybe one day, those of you who don't get it will, but I wouldn't be so stupid as to hold my breath.

It really sad that so many of you younger guys devalue the greater films in John Williams cannon, cause is sure isn't his recent films that deserve that kind of praise. Munich and Geisha won't move the masses, the way Star Wars did. You wont see generations of fan line up 20 years from now to see Attack of the Geisha's, or Revenge of the Geisha's. Get a fucking clue.

Wow. I really don't know how to react to that. Maybe I did make a stupid remark, but I don't think that I deserve that. But then again, I've been wrong before. I never said that the newer versions of the film were better. They are not, and anyone who has sight can see that. Nor did I say that the original version shouldn't be preserved. Of course it should, and it is shame that it hasn't. But at the end of the day, it is just a movie, and I don't think that it should be taken that seriously.

yeah you did deserve it, why bother being in a film message board if its only a movie,

if its only a movie, then why by a dvd, why watch something multiple times if its only a movie.

you're better than that.

I think it would help your point if you made it a little less agressively.

- Marc, who wouldn't call Star Wars just a movie either, but doesn't feel the need to start throwing F-bombs around.

I watch movies multiple times because I like them and like to watch them. I watch them as a work of art, a picture of a certain time in America, and as entertainment.

I'm not sure why I post in this forum. :P

I think it would help your point if you made it a little less agressively.

- Marc, who wouldn't call Star Wars just a movie either, but doesn't feel the need to start throwing F-bombs around.

sorry the fbomb was from this morning or last night, not intended for this one, and obviously red rabbit does get it afterall.