Star Wars 30th Anniversary

mcdaid72000

:) :) :) :) :) Hey everybody out there. This year will be the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars. I think they should now release the 6 disc expanded edition of Star Wars. Who all agrees with me. :) :) :) :) :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll probably just re-package everything with new screensavers and feed it to the public.

To be honest I'd rather have Lucasfilm concentrate on getting the complete Indiana Jones scores out first.

They'll probably just re-package everything with new screensavers and feed it to the public.

To be honest I'd rather have Lucasfilm concentrate on getting the complete Indiana Jones scores out first.

I'd rather have Star Wars, as good as the Indy scores are, there is some seriously good music missing from the prequels. But, leave it to the Powers That Be to give lots of anniversary Legos, but nothing for any of the rest of us.

I'd rather have Star Wars, as good as the Indy scores are, there is some seriously good music missing from the prequels. But, leave it to the Powers That Be to give lots of anniversary Legos, but nothing for any of the rest of us.

You should know the amount of awesomeness missing from the Temple of Doom album. Which is long out of print as well.

- Marc, who listened to Star Wars from start to finish today, but feels all's been said on the subject, really.

Harry Potter and Indiana Jones complete releases are more needed than the prequels.Most of the unreleased music from RotS is available in great quality.The big missing chunk is Attack of the Clones and 4 or 5 still missing RotS cues

K.M.

As far as Indy goes, I'm wondering if we'll finally get some unreleased music leaked into the new Indy game. Of course, if they do the right thing and release the complete scores for the Indy IV media blitz, then it won't matter. But I understand that Paramount isn't very friendly with its complete scores. We could get lucky, though.

And if there's a new release this year, I would think that (A) people wouldn't be dumb enough to buy new copies of scores that are either still in print from their initial release or just got reissued last year without more music and that (B) the guys in charge would be smart enough to realize that. Besides, wouldn't the less hardcore fans not be interested in buying this new issue if they had bought it already? Wouldn't the smart thing to do be to cater to the wallets of those who were smart enough to pass on last year's OT reissue and buy the OSTs?

Either way, if they do re-release the OT scores, I hope they actually remaster them properly, instead of just slapping some stupid Sony logo on the cover. I think we all know RotJ in particular could do with some polishing.

As far as Indy goes, I'm wondering if we'll finally get some unreleased music leaked into the new Indy game. Of course, if they do the right thing and release the complete scores for the Indy IV media blitz, then it won't matter. But I understand that Paramount isn't very friendly with its complete scores. We could get lucky, though.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn about this. An original, orchestral score by Clint Bajakian would be awesome, but if music from the new film is used then there will probably be unreleased bits. Note that I mean the upcoming Indy 4 score. It's not likely that music from the old films will be used.

Oh, man. I'd love a copy of "Superstructure Chase" in Anthology quality.

Yes! I'm afraid we're dreaming, though. I have a feeling that the SE quality is the best we're going to get from the OT.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn about this. An original, orchestral score by Clint Bajakian would be awesome, but if music from the new film is used then there will probably be unreleased bits. Note that I mean the upcoming Indy 4 score. It's not likely that music from the old films will be used.

Snap, I hadn't even thought of unreleased stuff from Indy IV! It is doubtful that the older scores would be used (do they have THAT sitting on a hard drive somewhere?), but it would be great.

And you're probably right, Vaderbait...we can dream, though. It would be fantastic to see a Williams Conducting Williams CD with the LSO that has a rerecording of Superstructure Chase, then. That would be sweet, given the improbability of a decent rework of the OT.

why not celebrate the only one of the Star Wars films to turn 30, the original un raped version, simply known as Star Wars, give it the treatment its due, not the bastardization of the film, treat it with the respect and admiration that it received by fans alike back when it came out, back when John Williams was great, when he had scored Star Wars, and not the garbage known as A New Hope

And you're probably right, Vaderbait...we can dream, though. It would be fantastic to see a Williams Conducting Williams CD with the LSO that has a rerecording of Superstructure Chase, then. That would be sweet, given the improbability of a decent rework of the OT.

Given that it's a cut-and-paste of "TIE Fighter Attack" and "The Battle of Yavin," on such a CD Williams would be much more likely to conduct his concert piece, "Here They Come!"

why not celebrate the only one of the Star Wars films to turn 30, the original un raped version, simply known as Star Wars, give it the treatment its due, not the bastardization of the film, treat it with the respect and admiration that it received by fans alike back when it came out, back when John Williams was great, when he had scored Star Wars, and not the garbage known as A New Hope

Its just a movie. :)

No it isn't. Joe and many others feel that the movie they loved back in 1977 was slowly ripped from them and turned into something barely recognisable. I'm sure if it was a movie you really loved, and the filmmakers keep changing it bit by bit into something else over 30 years, you wouldn't be terribly happy either. And don't give me that "it's the filmmaker's intent" crap, it doesn't excuse the films not being released properly as they were originally.

Either way I honestly don't care. I'm perfectly fine with my dvd set I bought when they first were released. The "essence" of the film or it's message is not completely raped to me, I still enjoy them and I'm happy with what I've got.

And people still live in the past... ;)

sorry but thats an idiots response.

Drax gets it, the rest of you don't,

and red rabbit, what a fucking stupid response to my post.

its just a movie,

how ignorant.

its movie that change film history, like it or not, the movie I saw, that many here saw in 1977 is superior to the crapfest cgi garbage that so many worship today.

without Star Wars there is no Lotr, no suckass Spiderman films, etc. It all started with Star Wars, not Star Wars a New Hope, just Star Wars.

Star Wars is the only one of the 6 movies that is turning 30. It should be given its due, its place of importance in film history, in film music history.

back to red rabbits extremely stupid and ignorant reponse, if its just a movie, then why are you even posting here.

Movies are a reflection of history, of the current culture. Its a snapshot of a time and a place. Sure its entertainment, but to devalue it with your snide ignorant comment, hell you shouldn't be allowed in a serious discussion about film and film music because of your lazy attitude towards it.

Maybe one day, those of you who don't get it will, but I wouldn't be so stupid as to hold my breath.

It really sad that so many of you younger guys devalue the greater films in John Williams cannon, cause is sure isn't his recent films that deserve that kind of praise. Munich and Geisha won't move the masses, the way Star Wars did. You wont see generations of fan line up 20 years from now to see Attack of the Geisha's, or Revenge of the Geisha's. Get a fucking clue.

And if there's a new release this year, I would think that (A) people wouldn't be dumb enough to buy new copies of scores that are either still in print from their initial release or just got reissued last year without more music and that

i dunno,random The force Net member:111 OMG new Yoda screensavers !!2!!*squee fart*Must get this

K.M.

Either way I honestly don't care. I'm perfectly fine with my dvd set I bought when they first were released. The "essence" of the film or it's message is not completely raped to me, I still enjoy them and I'm happy with what I've got.

The voice of reason.

-Ross, who seems to post the same four words with any luddite Star Wars thread.

Up to a certain extent, I agree with Joe (although I could do without calling other people stupid and ignorant ;)).

Star Wars revolutionised filmmaking in many, many ways, and it would be nice if we could celebrate this movie's place in history without all the hooplah about the crummy post-ESB movies.

Still, realistically speaking, it's no surprise LucasFilm want to market all their products when they can. They're a business. It's to be expected. And it's as good an opportunity as any to release some cool goodies, hopefully some Williams-related.

Although if they do come out with some sort of special 30th Anniversary release on home video, I'd be pretty miffed if it's the same bungled up 2004 DVD again.

- Marc, not particularly excited about gimmicky 3D yet.

Star Wars is obviously one of the most influential movies and scores of all time. This is beyond any question.

But it doesn't take anything away from more recent Williams projects. As great as it is, it is far from being Williams' greatest artistic achievement.

But they've already gone and said it's impossible to restore the original prints haven't they.

If that's true, then Lucas is a f'ing idiot. Didn't he start THX, one of the leading film preservation companies?

That's a great advert for THX isn't it, that he let his most successful film deteriorate to such a state where it can no longer be used.

And if the negative and all the prints are permanently damaged, where did that clip on the making-of documentary come from?

Just a reminder: cinema history didn't began in 1977. There are many more movies well before STAR WARS which changed the way movies are made today and how we perceive them. Actually STAR WARS didn't even invent the blockbuster genre.

STAR WARS is a milestone, a cinema masterpiece and also a worldwide pop-cultural phenomenon, so it's fair to acknowledge all that. But there are so many movies to which STAR WARS is in debt and without whom probably it wouldn't even saw the light of the day.

That goes without saying.

But if we're celebrating the anniversary of a movie like Star Wars, I think we should look at what Star Wars specifically meant to the film industry (with due respect to prior and following revolutions of course).

Just a reminder: cinema history didn't began in 1977. There are many more movies well before STAR WARS which changed the way movies are made today and how we perceive them. Actually STAR WARS didn't even invent the blockbuster genre.

STAR WARS is a milestone, a cinema masterpiece and also a worldwide pop-cultural phenomenon, so it's fair to acknowledge all that. But there are so many movies to which STAR WARS is in debt and without whom probably it wouldn't even saw the light of the day.

True, and I don't think many would claim that it's the most important film in cinema history. I mean, surely The Jazz Singer would rank a little above Star Wars in that respect. ;)

However, it did start something of a phenomenon, so it's certainly an important milestone, and quite possibly the reason a lot of us are here...

Fighting about "Star wars": It is the same movie, people. 95% of people cannot even point out the differences between the 1977, 1997, and 2004 editions. Just us nerdy fans on the interweb can tell. And I can't even tolerate the old Star Wars without the Jabba scene. I could go without the Greedo shooting 2nd, then 1st, then tie BS, but the rest is fine with me. Besides, didn't they release the damn pre-1997 DVDs? When the scroll just said "Star Wars"?

As for the 30th anniversary: They BETTER release all 6 Star wars scores, remastered from the best-possible source material, complete, chronological, and all unreleased/unused music to boot. if not, we will riot. *Lucas quakes in fear, then laughs, then yawns.*

Fighting about "Star wars": It is the same movie, people. 95% of people cannot even point out the differences between the 1977, 1997, and 2004 editions. Just us nerdy fans on the interweb can tell. And I can't even tolerate the old Star Wars without the Jabba scene. I could go without the Greedo shooting 2nd, then 1st, then tie BS, but the rest is fine with me. Besides, didn't they release the damn pre-1997 DVDs? When the scroll just said "Star Wars"?

As for the 30th anniversary: They BETTER release all 6 Star wars scores, remastered from the best-possible source material, complete, chronological, and all unreleased/unused music to boot. if not, we will riot. *Lucas quakes in fear, then laughs, then yawns.*

So it's OK to fuss about not having the complete scores, but complaining about sub-par DVDs is nerdy BS?

It's the single most influential movie of the last 30 years, no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, but the world of film would have been so much better off if Star Wars was never made.

Up to a certain extent, I agree with Joe (although I could do without calling other people stupid and ignorant ;) ).

Star Wars revolutionised filmmaking in many, many ways, and it would be nice if we could celebrate this movie's place in history without all the hooplah about the crummy post-ESB movies.

Still, realistically speaking, it's no surprise LucasFilm want to market all their products when they can. They're a business. It's to be expected. And it's as good an opportunity as any to release some cool goodies, hopefully some Williams-related.

Although if they do come out with some sort of special 30th Anniversary release on home video, I'd be pretty miffed if it's the same bungled up 2004 DVD again.

- Marc, not particularly excited about gimmicky 3D yet.

there is nothing wrong with referring to someone as ignorant especially when its so true.

I myself am ignorant of a great many things.

Chris crusher is as usually wrong, his arguements are weaks on such small levels, like always.

all I want is for Star wars, to be given its due on its 30th anniversary, is that so wrong, let the other films have their place when they are 30 but for now only Star Wars is 30, just like Close Encounters will be 30 at the end of this year.

It's the single most influential movie of the last 30 years, no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, but the world of film would have been so much better off if Star Wars was never made.

Ouch.

all I want is for Star wars, to be given its due on its 30th anniversary, is that so wrong, let the other films have their place when they are 30 but for now only Star Wars is 30,

True. But it would be also true to say that it's the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars series - and I suspect that's what they'll be taking advantage of.

Making blockbusters of the quality of Star Wars or Jaws is very very difficult. It's not Spielberg's or Lucas' fault the rest of Hollywood couldn't keep up.

I wasn't saying it was their fault, they were just a couple of talented guys who made very good films. But they single handedly killed off the 70's, the greatest decade for cinema ever, and gave us Jerry Bruckheimer. If there was never any ground braking film like Star Wars, or Jaws, that showed the studios how much money could be made in pure entertainment. Those films made so many great filmmakers obsolete, many of them never recovered, or took a long time to recover.

But they've already gone and said it's impossible to restore the original prints haven't they.

If that's true, then Lucas is a f'ing idiot. Didn't he start THX, one of the leading film preservation companies?

That's a great advert for THX isn't it, that he let his most successful film deteriorate to such a state where it can no longer be used.

And if the negative and all the prints are permanently damaged, where did that clip on the making-of documentary come from?

I didn't mean the prints were damaged, the way I heard it was that they permanently modified them for either the 97 release or the dvd's, I don't remember which one.