1982 Best Original Score

Jarbas

Which would be your 5 nominations for 1982 Oscar in the Best Score category?

Here they are mine:

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

Conan the Barbarian

Blade Runner

Poltergeist

First Blood

1982 was a excellent year for film music!

Make your choices!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an overrated year. Yeah, so Conan, E.T. Poltergeist and Wrath of Khan kick ass. That's about it. And only two of these are actually good movies.

Not every movie was great, of course, but what a year for a sci-fi/fantasy, just having interesting releases to go see...

Conan, E.T., Poltergeist, Star Trek II, Tron, Firefox, The Thing, Blade Runner, Cat People, The Dark Crystal, The Road Warrior (US release), The Beastmaster, Creepshow, The Secret of NIMH, plus reissues of Star Wars, Empire, and Raiders. Again not all are great films but the pages of Starlog, Fantastic Films, and CFQ were overflowing.

There were great comedies that year - Tootsie, My Favorite Year, Victor/Victoria, 48 Hours, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and some great dramas - Gandhi, Missing, The Verdict, Sophie's Choice. There was also Das Boot. There were duds also, but overall this was probably the last greatest single year for movies, at least for having things one wanted to go see not to mention scores one actually wanted to buy.

What an overrated year. Yeah, so Conan, E.T. Poltergeist and Wrath of Khan kick ass. That's about it. And only two of these are actually good movies.

I agree...it was a great year, but not the best.

Not every movie was great, of course, but what a year for a sci-fi/fantasy, just having interesting releases to go see...

Conan, E.T., Poltergeist, Star Trek II, Tron, Firefox, The Thing, Blade Runner, Cat People, The Dark Crystal, The Road Warrior (US release), The Beastmaster, Creepshow, The Secret of NIMH, plus reissues of Star Wars, Empire, and Raiders. Again not all are great films but the pages of Starlog, Fantastic Films, and CFQ were overflowing.

There were great comedies that year - Tootsie, My Favorite Year, Victor/Victoria, 48 Hours, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and some great dramas - Gandhi, Missing, The Verdict, Sophie's Choice. There was also Das Boot. There were duds also, but overall this was probably the last greatest single year for movies, at least for having things one wanted to go see not to mention scores one actually wanted to buy.

Okay, 5 of your sci fi/fantasy are good, 2 of your comedies, and 2 of your dramas. Das Boot is not from 1982. Call it best genre year, fine. But it still is an overrated year. Any number of years I'd take over it in a split second.

Conan the Barbarian

Blade Runner

First Blood

Night Crossing

Wrath of Khan

The Dark Crystal

Inchon

Poltergeist

The Thing

What are you on about Morlock? Which "any years" would you take over 1982?

I can't think of but a couple.

Conan the Barbarian

Blade Runner

First Blood

Night Crossing

Wrath of Khan

The Dark Crystal

Inchon

Poltergeist

The Thing

Conan the Barbarian

Blade Runner

First Blood

Night Crossing

Wrath of Khan

The Dark Crystal

Inchon

Poltergeist

The Thing

I was talking there specifically about movies. And I'd personally take 1975, 1976, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002 over 1982 movie-wise. Score-wise, less so. Four great, classic scores, and a few other good ones. But even then, if I categorized my scores by year, I doubt that 1982 would be my desert island year. I like more variety. The 70's had that. So did the 90's, to a lesser extent, in a totally different way. Williams, Goldsmith, Poledouris, Horner, Morricone......great, great scores, among my favorites, but not enough zesty stuff in there besides the greats. I like a year with big, fun, balls out symphnic stuff, big dramatic scores, small intimate things, a nice comedy score, a quirky score out of left field, a nice solo-insturment score.....variety.

Wrath of Khan is James Horner's greatest score ever... for me right now he owns '82. Williams is just perfect and once and awhile you have to give another composer some credit.

Wrath of Khan is James Horner's greatest score ever... for me right now he owns '82. Williams is just perfect and once and awhile you have to give another composer some credit.

E.T. was better than Wrath of Kahn, though WoK is still very good.

you would do well to stay out of this thread, as your credibility issues come bounding back to the front.

1982 is the greatest film score/film year in a long time.

don't argue, just go edit your stupid posts, leave them blank and you will be not thought of so badly.

drax, lay off the drugs you're sounding like morlock, which is akin to sounding like a blabbering idiot, like the mexican guy in close encounters who said the sun came out last night and sang to him.

drax, lay off the drugs you're sounding like morlock, which is akin to sounding like a blabbering idiot, like the mexican guy in close encounters who said the sun came out last night and sang to him.

But I looooove my Morlock druuuuugs...

Being labled as having no credibility by you is an honor. I must be doing something right, particularly when talking about the 80's.

we are only talking about 82, the year with ET, Victor Victoria, Wrath of Kahn, Blade Runner, Conan, Tootsie, Gandhi, An Officer and a Gentleman, Sophie's Choice, Poltergeist, the Thing, and others. What a great year

we are only talking about 82, the year with
ET, Wrath of Kahn, Tootsie, An Officer and a Gentleman,

Terrific films.

Gandhi, Sophie's Choice

Severly flawed films, albeit with terrific performances.

Blade Runner

I haven't gotten to the bottom of this film yet. But yes, it is certainly good.

Conan,

Meh. It's good fun, but not terribly memorable, aside from it's score.

Poltergeist,

Not a very good film.

the Thing

Haven't seen.

What a great year

I'm not saying it was a bad year, but there have been many years that had several excellent films (of varying degrees). I think it is overrated. Sure, it has great nostalgic value (I can only imagine how great it must have seemed at the time), but I would prefer any of the years I mentioned above to it. E.T. is the only film that unbalances the list, as it is a truely one of a kind and great film.

Note: The following list is not to say that these years are quantifyingly better than 1982. But they are some of my favorite films of those years, and, for me at least, present the kind of variety and quality that would rank those years higher than 1982, in my book.

1975: Jaws, Nashville, The Man Who Would Be King, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, One Flew Over The Cooku's Nest

1976: Network, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men, Carrie, Rocky

1989: Driving Miss Daisy, Henry V, Do The Right Thing, Parenthood, When Harry Met Sally, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Little Murmaid

1991: Silence of the Lambs, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, Terminator 2, Barton Fink, Star Trek VI, Raise the Red Lantern

1993: Schindler's List, In the Name of the father, The Remains of the Day, The Fugitive, In the Line of Fire, Dave, Age of Innocence, Groundhog Day, Nightmare Before Christmas

1994: Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Quiz Show, Ed Wood, Bullets Over Broadway, Maverick, Speed, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Clerks

1997: L.A. Confidential, Titanic, Wag The Dog, My Best Friend's Wedding, Men in Black, Jackie Brown, Good Will Hunting, Donnie Brasco, Gattaca, Chasing Amy

1999: American Beauty, Magnolia, Being John Malkovich, Dogma, Three Kings, The Insider, The Straight Story, Sleepy Hollow, Titus, Southpark

2001: Memento, Gosford Park, Moulin Rouge, In The Bedroom, AI, The Lord of the Rings, Black Hawk Down, Amelia, The Royal Tanenbaums, Shrek, Ghost World, No Man's Land

2002: Chicago, The Gangs of New York, Minority Report, Catch me if You Can, Igby Goes Down, The Pianist, The Quiet American, Far from Heaven, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Adaptation., Road to Perdition, Signs

Ah yes...but let us not forget our beloved maestro's Razzie-nominated flop "MONSIGNOR" (1982). Turn down that "Gloria" track!!!!

Lantern 1993: Schindler's List, In the Name of the father, The Remains of the Day, The Fugitive, In the Line of Fire, Dave, Age of Innocence, Groundhog Day, Nightmare Before Christmas 1994: Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Quiz Show, Ed Wood, Bullets Over Broadway, Maverick, Speed, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Clerks
What about Jurassic Park and Lion King??
Ah yes...but let us not forget our beloved maestro's Razzie-nominated flop "MONSIGNOR" (1982). Turn down that "Gloria" track!!!!
Yeah..has anybody actually heard that score? did it deserve the Razzie nomination?