New theme in CHAMBER OF SECRETS

Pelzter

My god. This is one of those themes, that is so umistakably Williams, that you just cant help absolutly loving it!

It's bold, sweeping and carries an quite beautiful 'magic' melody, the ones only Williams can write. When I first hear a new theme from Williams, I almost always have the same physiological reaction: my heartbeat increases, my hands begin to slighly tremor, and a big smile erupts on my face! I close my eyes and let the melody transport me. And yes, this is exactly what happened this time!

--Pelzter.

PS: Anyone knows who this theme is for???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fell in love with the theme since the 1st time I heard it. It's fantastic.

I really have no idea whose or what theme is it, but I think it may not be character driven.

Track titles anyone?

I really have no idea whose or what theme is it, but I think it may not be character driven.

Harry already has 3 themes.My gues would be Hermione.

K.M.

My god. This is one of those themes, that is so umistakably Williams, that you just cant help absolutly loving it!

It's bold, sweeping and carries an quite beautiful 'magic' melody, the ones only Williams can write. When I first hear a new theme from Williams, I almost always have the same physiological reaction: my heartbeat increases, my hands begin to slighly tremor, and a big smile erupts on my face! I close my eyes and let the melody transport me. And yes, this is exactly what happened this time!

--Pelzter.

PS: Anyone knows who this theme is for???

Without beeing so dramatic,it sure beats Across the Stars..

K.M.in his 1000+ bashing of the AOTC score.

If this theme is not composed by Williams, I'll let any of you shoot me !!!:) It's SOOOO brilliant and so Williams.

that's why I love Williams,nobody can really come up with something like that.Alone it's worth the price of the album.I like it better when it's played at around 38-42 minutes into the score though.

K.M.

I would expect something more in league with Harry's Wondrous World.

Hmm...HWW is basically made up of the two Harry themes.

Marian - wondering what King Mark's third Harry theme is.

f this theme is not composed by Williams, I'll let any of you shoot me !!! It's SOOOO brilliant and so Williams.

You might want to start wearing a bullerproof vest dude.

-rogue Leader who is PRACTICALLY CERTAIN this theme is by Johnny but would not go as far as to say that. ;)

I've only listened to the new theme a few times but I don't like it as much as the Philosopher's Stone theme.

There are probably a few reasons I can think of this. First of all, the theme from the first film simply is Harry Potter. It is like Superman's march. Completely unseverable.

Second, when I heard the Philosopher's Stone theme, not only did I consider it one of William's best theme in years, I consider it one of his best themes ever by any composer.

I hate to sound like a raving fanboy (and by hate, I mean love) but merely because the new theme is excellent doesn't make it better than the old theme.

In regards to the "Harry's Wondrous World" consisting of "two Harry themes" idea, I say this: "Harry's Wondrous World" is pretty much the entire story - in "highlights" - musically. In other words, the entire story, condensed and interpreted with the thematic material. That's the reason it's number 2 on the CD and not toward the end, after "Hedwig's Theme". It serves as more of an overture to the film and to the score.

And by Philosopher's Stone theme, are you referring to the 3-note motif to the actual stone, or one of the three main themes? ("Harry's Theme", "Hedwig's Theme A" and "Hedwig's Theme B" -- both magic/flying motifs)

And, just to clarify: Harry's Theme is the main part of "Harry's Wondrous World"...the trumpet fanfare king mark mentioned is just an introductory motif used for the whole world of magic. There are corresponding motifs/themes for Hogwarts, Gryffindor House, the sport of Quidditch, and the entire world that Harry discovers -- the 14-note phrase heard towards the beginning of "Harry's Wondrous World" -- just after the octavo rendition of what is known as "Hedwig's Theme".

There is only one Harry theme, so far - at least in film/score 1. It's heard in true glory toward the end of "The Quidditch Match", when Harry reveals the golden snitch in his hand.

Forgive me if parts of this are unclear. I'm exhausted but felt like I should mention a few things. I hope all are well and that you enjoy the latest Williams treasures.

Director

In regards to the "Harry's Wondrous World" consisting of "two Harry themes" idea, I say this:  "Harry's Wondrous World" is pretty much the entire story - in "highlights" - musically.  In other words, the entire story, condensed and interpreted with the thematic material.  That's the reason it's number 2 on the CD and not toward the end, after "Hedwig's Theme".  It serves as more of an overture to the film and to the score.

And by Philosopher's Stone theme, are you referring to the 3-note motif to the actual stone, or one of the three main themes?   ("Harry's Theme", "Hedwig's Theme A" and "Hedwig's Theme B" -- both magic/flying motifs)

And, just to clarify:  Harry's Theme is the main part of "Harry's Wondrous World"...the trumpet fanfare king mark mentioned is just an introductory motif used for the whole world of magic.  There are corresponding motifs/themes for Hogwarts, Gryffindor House, the sport of Quidditch, and the entire world that Harry discovers -- the 14-note phrase heard towards the beginning of "Harry's Wondrous World" -- just after the octavo rendition of what is known as "Hedwig's Theme".  

There is only one Harry theme, so far - at least in film/score 1.  It's heard in true glory toward the end of "The Quidditch Match", when Harry reveals the golden snitch in his hand.

Forgive me if parts of this are unclear.  I'm exhausted but felt like I should mention a few things.  I hope all are well and that you enjoy the latest Williams treasures.

Director

I was referring to 'Hedwig's Theme' which is the main theme used in trailers and tv spots as well as general merchandise advertising.

Possible tracklisting (I invented them...):

1. Escape from the Dursleys (3:33)

2. The Burrow (Fawkes Song) (3:46)

3. Malfoy (?) (The new bad guy's motif) (3:51)

4. Knockturn Alley and Lockhart (2:07)

5. The Flying Ford Anglia (4:10)

6. Back at Hogwarts (1:49)

7. ??? (1:53)

8. Dobby, the House Elf (2:39)

9. ??? (1:35)

10. Nicks Party (3:30)

11. The Quidditch Match (4:33)

12. At the Ward (2:08)

13. Aragog (3:21)

14. Moaning Myrtle Tells her Secret (3:19)

15. Lockhart, the sly dog (...)

16. The Tunnel (...)

15+16= (5:53)

17. In the Chamber of Secrets (3:54)

18. ??? (3:30)

19. The Fight with the Basilisk (5:03)

20. Leaving Hogwarts... again (5:11)

21. End Titles (4:49)

I based myself on the music and on the chapters in the books.

Personnaly, I think that Ross adapted numbers 7, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20. That is a total of 27 minutes and 10 seconds. This means that there is about 39 minutes new music composed by Williams. This corresponds to the press report...

I alo think the 1st and last track were also adapted by Ross.

Did anyone hear any statement of Voldemort's theme?I heard the philosopher's stone motif, but I have no idea what's it doing in there.

There is only one Harry theme, so far - at least in film/score 1.  It's heard in true glory toward the end of "The Quidditch Match", when Harry reveals the golden snitch in his hand.

That's the Harry "Harry" theme, i.e. it seems to portray Harry when it's about himself, his actions, etc. But the family theme is used directly for Harry as well, when he is lonely and when he thinks of his family. It's used right at the end, before the final statement of Hedwig's Theme, when Harry says that it doesn't feel like going home, in a very prominent rendition when the camera pans to Hogwarts. Plus both themes are prominently featured in HWW.

I agree that Harry's"Harry" theme is the one first one heard after the intro in HWW,but was very underused in the first film.In COS it's used a lot more,benfiting the score a lot too.

And as far as the"family theme" goes,there's also a very nice rendition of it in "A Change of Seasons",in Philosopher's stone.

K.M.

Anyhow,many character's Williams has written for have a primary theme and one or even 2 secondary themes.Without beeing too technical,E.T.(the theme that opens the movie , the Flying Theme and that organ played theme,Superman has 3 themes(The Main Fanfare,the bridge theme in the march sometimes used on it's own in the movie,and the shorter one just after the fanfare in the Main Titles),Indy also has 2 themes,the actual March and the other one played in the middle of the march,best used in "The Portugese Coast"in Last Crusade and Truck Chase in Raiders,etc...

K.M.

You mean the first track.Anyways,in that first track there is a theme just before the Broom/Flying theme I can't hear anywhere else on the c.d.and is not from the first movie either.(?)

K.M.

You mean the first track.Anyways,in that first track there is a theme just before the Broom/Flying theme I can't hear anywhere else on the c.d.and is not from the first movie either.(?)

K.M.

yes it is, it's from the sorting hat scene, if it is the music you are referring to. it is the only music in that track that is not from the first soundtrack. it was very much in the movie however.

Ted

It's clear to me after listening to the c.d. about 6 times.

K.M.

I agree. The orchestrations and all of the themes and motifs are dead-on Williams. Although, if I had to guess I would suspect that Ross's contributions here (adaptations) might lean more toward the second half of the recording. After about 40 minutes in, the orchestrations and conducting start sounding a little different than the earlier parts. He probably had to expand or contract some of Williams' original cues to suit the final cut of the film.

So, I'd say it's all Williams, with "some" adaptation (and conducting) by Ross.

Whatever it turns out to be, I liked it. :)

-WLW

I don't know if it's the 4th track but it sure reminds me of 'Chasing Rockets' sequence from 'Superman'.

to me it sounds more like the circus train chase music from Last Crusade.

K.M.

Well you just know there are gonna be doubters and "theorists" saying who did what until Ross and Williams come clean.

Come on,don't tell me you can't hear a Williams cue from someone elses.If Ross was as good,then Williams might as well retire.And if Ross did anything on that c.d.,he was probably very closely monitered by Williams.At least for the c,d,dunno about the rest of the score.

K.M.

Actually all I can tell right now is that Ross is an excellent conductor,as demonstrated he matches Williams with Harry's Wondrous World.

K.M.

I get goose bumps everytime i listen to Fawkes.

it's very good,but it doesn't have the lasting power of Hedwig's Theme or Harry's wondrous World.

anyways to me the best new theme IS Fawkes theme,but i like it better in "Fawkes is Reborn" than the concert arrangement,and the best track on the album.

And also,the best played verion of Harry's theme is in the last track,Reunion with Friends.

K.M.

well while we are comparing.

i prefer Leaving Hogwarts (PS) to Renunion of Friends (COS). It doesn't seem to climax as well as Hogwarts. Sure it sounds great and has a lot of good stuff going on, but it just doesn't do. I think they could have done better for the "ending" song.

perhaps i'll grow to like it.