There Will Be Blood Soundtrack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't I want to admit it? I'm interested enough by the album, and haven't yet seen the film. It's different, but not in a bad way.

Why don't I want to admit it? I'm interested enough by the album, and haven't yet seen the film. It's different, but not in a bad way.

Probably because its from a pop musician.

Radiohead is not a pop group....and it certainly does not sound like it's written by someone from a pop-group. It's serious stuff. It'll probably have a hard time with film score fans due it's rather intense, non-thematic (or non-melodic in a traditional sense) nature.

So what is so perfect about it?

See the movie and if you still have to ask that question then good luck to you.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading...you're talking about the score, not the album.

That's ok, I've heard enough reviews by people who's opinion I trust and I'm in no hurry to hear the music.

I was just curious as to why Genius was proclaiming it perfect.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading...you're talking about the score, not the album.

Ya I almost put "Score" instead of "Soundtrack" but the term score, to my ears, somehow implies more structure than this music. I struggle to call this a score for some reason.

That's ok, I've heard enough reviews by people who's opinion I trust and I'm in no hurry to hear the music.

I was just curious as to why Genius was proclaiming it perfect.

I am simply agreeing with the masses. I'm from Berkeley, a capital of disobedience. Disagreeing with the evil media runs in my blood. Here, however, I cannot disagree. The media is correct -- the music that accompanies this film is absolutely crucial. This movie would have been much, much less without it. Figuratively, it brought the movie from black and white and into color. This guy is going to get the Oscar and deservingly so.

First I heard of this score was when my brother, a huge Radiohead fan, comes into my room asking me to find the score for him. And I was quite taken aback when I heard it. Seems quite non-thematic, dark and string based.

No Mark, it's a pretty decent score, I picked it up as well.

I don't know why the fact that the composer is from a music band has to do with anything. Most composers come into film music from bands: Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Trevor Rabin, Mark Mancina, James Newton Howard...

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis are musicians, and their scores to The Proposition and The Assassination Of Jesse James were incredible.

is this some Santaolalla type crap?

Not at all. This is written music.

hahaha! i hate him.... Although, i was disappointed with the soundtrack a bit. It's only a little over half an hour. Not much meat to its bones... Still, "The Prospector's Quartet" is oddly replayable.

Entertainment Weekly liked it so it must be the next best thing since sliced bread.

A local newspaper had a rare soundtrack article this week. Of course, it focused on rock musicians efforts- Into the Wild, The Assassniation of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and There Will Be Blood.

I was surprised to see a small article about Greenwood's score's ineligibility at the Oscars in the Toronto Star last week. It wasn't really a reactionary piece, but more of an informative one. Shocking that the news could be simply just that now and again. ;)

Saw the movie - completely loved it. But I thought the score poorly written, and also badly used in the movie (and I blame the director for that).

It really prevented me at times from enjoying the movie, which I think is the contrary of what a good score should do.

H.

I saw TWBB over the weekend and the score didn't work for me, some parts of it were downright distraction. It too often had the feel of tracked music. I liked the music in the opening sequence and at first I thought I was going to be in for a real treat. Much of the music didn't fit the scenes too well and the scene where

the oil well explodes and HW loses his hearing

was a complete misfire musically.

I liked the music in the opening sequence and at first I thought I was going to be in for a real treat. Much of the music didn't fit the scenes too well .

Maybe but how crucial was the music in the beginning? It really set the tone for the movie. Maybe the rest was not perfect but that intro was really, just....amazing for lack of a better word.

Yes, I agree the intro set a great tone for the movie, and I as well thought that the music was going to be great (or at least interesting).

In the end I found it to be distracting at best, badly written at worst. It's really too bad because I thought PT Anderson's choices regarding the actual use of the score (ie spotting) were interesting and "fresh", but I just think it didn't follow musically.

To me it's the perfect example of how "film music" is an art in itself; being a composer doesn't necessarily make you a film composer. You have to understand the underlying emotions (or lack of emotion) of a scene, as well as the concept of film editing, structure, and development. It's not only about putting notes on music paper.

What's weird is that I really loved PT Anderson's approach for Punch-Drunk Love: I thought the music worked so well in the picture... so I was a little disappointed with TWBB's soundtrack.

Hellgi

• 2 weeks later...
Saw the movie - completely loved it. But I thought the score poorly written, and also badly used in the movie (and I blame the director for that).

It really prevented me at times from enjoying the movie, which I think is the contrary of what a good score should do.

H.

Same here.The music gave me a headache. And I'd never listen to a whole album of this

Yes, I agree the intro set a great tone for the movie, and I as well thought that the music was going to be great (or at least interesting).

In the end I found it to be distracting at best, badly written at worst. It's really too bad because I thought PT Anderson's choices regarding the actual use of the score (ie spotting) were interesting and "fresh", but I just think it didn't follow musically.

To me it's the perfect example of how "film music" is an art in itself; being a composer doesn't necessarily make you a film composer. You have to understand the underlying emotions (or lack of emotion) of a scene, as well as the concept of film editing, structure, and development. It's not only about putting notes on music paper.

What's weird is that I really loved PT Anderson's approach for Punch-Drunk Love: I thought the music worked so well in the picture... so I was a little disappointed with TWBB's soundtrack.

Hellgi

The music at the end...are you referring to the final scene? This was Brahms Violin Concerto. I thought it was fantastically humorous and satirically disturbing.

Overall I thought Greenwood's score brought an otherwise black and white picture into color. I think both he and PT Anderson deliberately set out to make you feel uncomfortable through the music. Just my thoughts.

No, I wrote "in the end", not "at the end."

I understand the concept of having "atonal thus uncomfortable music" throughout the movie, but I still think the score is not well written at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the music in the film. It stuck out, but not in a bad way at all. Not sure if I want to buy the album, but I thought the score was just right for the film.

I just saw the movie. Not sure what to make of the ending, but I loved most of it. And all-in-all, I thought the music in the film was terrific. What was the traditional, rousing piece used in there for the opening of the well and the end credits?

At a couple of times, it clashed. But, overall, it offered a very distinct and welcome musical soundscape.

BTW- anyone know what the music used for the burning derick scene was? Unless I remember incorrectly, I don't believe it's on the soundtrack.

I didn't like the score at first, but as soon as I saw the film, and the very Americana sounding string piece when we see the dolly shot of them arriving in the car near the beginning, I knew I had misjudged it.

Yes, it stood out several times, but I think it was in keeping with the slightly odd overall tone of the film.

It's more than slightely odd for a film score.....the more I think about it, the more I like the film, the more I like the score, and the more I am taken to agreeing with Mr. Coscina about just how unique and impressive this score is (it's existance as much as it's use).

BTW- anyone know what the music used for the burning derick scene was? Unless I remember incorrectly, I don't believe it's on the soundtrack.

"Convergence"from Jonny's score to Bodysong. That's a stellar film with a brilliantly abstract score that I'd recommend to any fan of There Will Be Blood.

That track in particular was probably my favourite in all the film - there were tracks that stood out a little too much for me, despite it all setting a disturbing atmosphere. I think the music could've worked better were it a bit more responsive. Still bold and beautiful though.

I noticed the opening to Avro Part's Fratres in the film too (though looping a little annoyingly to those familiar with it). A full low-down of all the music used in the film would be great - it's a shame the album is so short.

Probably because its from a pop musician.

Who happens to have classical music training

Burga - who is finding the score a bit on the hard side to get into (without seeing the film)