Face it, Michael Giacchino is the new John Williams

David Coscina

People seem to forget that you can't always be yourself while composing film scores.

While I don't have the musical education that some members do, I have listened to Giacchino's music enough that I can hear his voice in earlier scores such as MOH and even in the Incredibles. It's there, all one has to do is listen.

And even if he never finds a true distinctive style that elevates him to the status of Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Rozsa, Barry etc etc who cares? I'm in this to listen to good music and quite frankly I find his music is much better than the current crop who claim to have a style.

People seem to forget that you can't always be yourself while composing film scores.

While I don't have the musical education that some members do, I have listened to Giacchino's music enough that I can hear his voice in earlier scores such as MOH and even in the Incredibles. It's there, all one has to do is listen.

And even if he never finds a true distinctive style that elevates him to the status of Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Rozsa, Barry etc etc who cares? I'm in this to listen to good music and quite frankly I find his music is much better than the current crop who claim to have a style.

Amen brother. I hear his style also. People who don't either don't care to take the time to listen or have goat's ears.

I'll take Giacchino's "pastiche" over Tylers/Ottman's/Badelt's/Bates' "style" any day of the week.

I know but I've never really thought too much about it until recently.

Given some of things Joe likes I'm just suprised he finds Tyler's music good.

I prefer Brian Tyler, He has real promise

Don't see any Oscar noms for him yet. Tyler is garbage.

Yeah. I haven't heard anything by him that is unique or even well written in its own right. I try to like him but I just cannot.

because Oscar noms are the best way to judge a composer right

I'll always enjoy Tyler's work on Children of Dune

because Oscar noms are the best way to judge a composer right

No, but it does mean you are good enough to be recognized with a prestigeous award nomination. Brian Tyler is one of the worst composers ever, he belongs at the bottom of the dump along with Tyler Bates, BT, and those other crap composers that try to mimic mainstream music.

kind of like most of your posts :P

said the man who thinks Zimmer is great.

give Tyler time, he's young

Tyler's Children of Dune is pretty good and there are parts of The Hunted I like but for the most part he is somewhat bland and tries to pull off a little too much bombast.

I'd wouldn't rate him as a bottom feeder, that belongs to Zimmer and his worthless bunch.

Oscars are a joke, Herrmann, Goldsmith, Morricone and Alex North should have more than 1 each and 2 of those are honorary statues.

You know I can see Tyler and Giacchino maturing the same way Williams and Goldsmith did. Williams had the good luck matching up with great directors on great projects while poor Goldsmith scored so many bad films after he and Frank Schaffner went their separate ways.

Giacchino is already Brad Bird's go-to guy and Bird is a great director. JJ Abrams might not be great but he's becoming a mogul like Spielberg and Lucas in many ways so being attached to him is a good move.

Tyler has worked for some reputable directors to be sure but guys like William Friedken are a little past their prime...and have yet to prove they still "have it"

I'd wouldn't rate him as a bottom feeder, that belongs to Zimmer and his worthless bunch.

Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams, and hell, even Klaus Badelt rank higher than Brian Tyler.

Klaus Badelt??? I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you there. He puts out the same monotonous sound as the rest of MV except Powell who is the best thing to come out of there next to Mark Mancina.

Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams, and hell, even Klaus Badelt rank higher than Brian Tyler.

zimmer is the worst, he's not talentless, just not very talented. He makes noise, but not music.

Giacchino has more talent on his sick days.

klaus' work in POTC is better than Zimmers followups

POTC is Zimmer. He wrote all the themes and let Klaus fill in between the lines because he was busy with The Last Samurai.

Hans Zimmer and RC do make music, that is what they do best. John Williams and other film composers make amazing film scores. HZ happens to make great music. There is a difference between score and music. You cannot listen to a JW score without knowing the film. It's identifiable immediately. With Hans, his music has the ability to stand on it's own, which is music.

I have never heard anything amazing by HZ, and never will.

at least not in the way I consider Amazing in conjuction with JW, who is to HZ as the Empire State Building is compared to a tar paper shack.

Hans Zimmer and RC do make music, that is what they do best. John Williams and other film composers make amazing film scores. HZ happens to make great music. There is a difference between score and music. You cannot listen to a JW score without knowing the film. It's identifiable immediately. With Hans, his music has the ability to stand on it's own, which is music.

:P

POTC is Zimmer. He wrote all the themes and let Klaus fill in between the lines because he was busy with The Last Samurai.

Yeah, I wish John Williams would actually write music for once.

at least not in the way I consider Amazing in conjuction with JW, who is to HZ as the Empire State Building is compared to a tar paper shack.

That's not quite right. If I recall, John Williams is to Hans Zimmer as an outhouse is to an air conditioner.

If that were true, which it isn't, he would be serving himself and not the film.

I agree. Composers who write music for film are always so self-serving.

Film scores that stand on their own outside of the film are almost accidents, they're not the objective for composers. If Zimmer is making "music" then he's a failure as a film composer.

I just think the typology is a little silly. Film scores are, of course, a form of music, and whether or not they "stand on their own" depends on the individual listener.

But their supposed to be listened to with the images

That's like saying music for opera or ballet are only meant to be heard in the theater along with their they're accompanying images. It's like saying you can only appreciate Symphonie Fantastique if you read the program notes.

Film music is still a valid genre, even without images.

I said that wrong.

Personally I don't really care but I was playing devil's advocate

and jesus what the hell was I thinking saying "their"

But their supposed to be listened to with the images

That's like saying music for opera or ballet are only meant to be heard in the theater along with their they're accompanying images. It's like saying you can only appreciate Symphonie Fantastique if you read the program notes.

Film music is still a valid genre, even without images.

Agreed.

Film scores that stand on their own outside of the film are almost accidents, they're not the objective for composers. If Zimmer is making "music" then he's a failure as a film composer.

I agree with you. Laughing at my comment won't make it any less true. John Williams is a FILM composer, he makes musical scores designated specifically for a movie. Hans Zimmer believes a score must go with the film and stand on it's on away from the film. His music hardly works well with the films they're for. A lot of the time it's just playing in the background, eventually he'll compose something great that fits the film. But what he does is just plain music, not a film score. I enjoy Hans more away from the film than with it.

John Williams composes music exactly for the actions taking place in the film, does he not? Yes. He composes film music.

Hans Zimmer composes music so that it stands on it's on, making it nothing more than regular music, does he not? Yes.

I phrased it wrong saying film scores aren't music, of course they are, but they are meant for a film, making them separate from average music that people listen to. Hans Zimmer can compose some very enjoyable music, it is not quality film score, but it is good music.

Unless I missed something Zimmer composes music for movies. If he's doing it for people to listen to it away from the film he's doing a very poor job.

The problem is while Zimmer's scores usually fit the style of movies he composes for they sound like crap away from the film.

Williams composes for films but his music not only fits most of the movies but it can also stand alone for the most part as a cohesive listening experience, in fact most of the great/good film composers have written music that can actually can be listened to as a seperate experience.

Yes, that is correct, but Hans makes it a goal to make it a stand-alone piece of music. Other composers are just good enough to make it an enjoyable listening experience.

The part where they sound like crap away from the film is personal opinion I guess, but I find it more enjoyable. It is not quality music, but it is enjoyable, do you know what I'm trying to say? If I'm in a careless feel-good mood I will just put on some Zimmer that I can enjoy without even really paying attention to what I'm listening to. So for me, HZ succeeds in his goal to make his music stand away from the film.

Yes, that is correct, but Hans makes it a goal to make it a stand-alone piece of music. Other composers are just good enough to make it an enjoyable listening experience.

The part where they sound like crap away from the film is personal opinion I guess, but I find it more enjoyable. It is not quality music, but it is enjoyable, do you know what I'm trying to say? If I'm in a careless feel-good mood I will just put on some Zimmer that I can enjoy without even really paying attention to what I'm listening to. So for me, HZ succeeds in his goal to make his music stand away from the film.

I can understand putting on Zimmer when you don't want to think about the music. I even enjoy a little Trevor Rabin in the right moods (I guess I better hide now). But to say that Zimmer's music stands on its own away from the film better because it requires less of the listener makes no sense to me. I would say John Williams' music stands alone as well as any other film composer.

Colin Thomson (who has never watched E.T., but loves the music)

You cannot listen to a JW score without knowing the film. It's identifiable immediately. With Hans, his music has the ability to stand on it's own, which is music.

Dont you mean that RC music is all the same and works (or they think it works) for all movies they score?

POTC is Zimmer.

I wonder if there's anything like a Zimmer score out there that didn't require dozens of additional composers, assistants, ghostwriters and various other minions.

I'm not a huge fan of Zimmer, but I really like The Lion King, Prince of Egypt and Spanglish.

You cannot listen to a JW score without knowing the film.

OMG! This is so untrue...

Kdog, you are completely wrong,

there are many scores by John Williams that I listen to, but wouldn't know what happened in the movie.

but I want to thank you for some of the heartiest laughs I've had in a long time, your posts almost make it sound as if you really believe that HZ is actually better than John Williams,

of course thats not true, hell John's farts have more genuine musical validity than anything HZ composes.

Unless I missed something Zimmer composes music for movies. If he's doing it for people to listen to it away from the film he's doing a very poor job.

The problem is while Zimmer's scores usually fit the style of movies he composes for they sound like crap away from the film.

Williams composes for films but his music not only fits most of the movies but it can also stand alone for the most part as a cohesive listening experience, in fact most of the great/good film composers have written music that can actually can be listened to as a seperate experience.

Intelligent conversation about MV is absolutely impossible on this forum isn't it. Any mention whatsoever of Zimmer's name and someone comes out with a one-liner, and it doesn't happen with anyone else.

Just take a Zimmer CD such as Thin Blue Line, Prince of Egypt, Simpsons Movie and listen to it - I consider it good music.

I think you just don't like him because of the principles he writes by and what loud, synth scores are doing to movies. I do recognise this 'Bruckheimer' side, and I hate Jerry's approach to film, appealing to the masses. I'm talking about when he gets the right film and right director.

It's his smaller works that are considerably better than his bigger ones, Hannibal, DaVinci, Spanglish, Matchstick Men