Oscar Chat 08?

BLUMENKOHL

One of the less entertaining telecasts I have to say. A reviewer on BBC wrote that he thought large parts of the 'plan B' show had made it in, and I'm inclined to agree (link).

However, I'm glad that No Country won the big ones - it was an excellent film, and Javier Bardem was stunning.

I'm happy for Marianelli. The score isn't to my tastes and the film doesn't rank very highly on my 'must see' list, but I respect it for what it is. I do think though that Giacchino deserved it most - Ratatouille is one of the most entertaining and 'feel good' scores I have in my collection - but that's just my opinion.

Well done to all :blink:

PS - I don't think anything will ever beat the absolutely amazing suite that Williams conducted a few years ago - does no one on this forum have an original recording? I have an mp3 recorded from Youtube or somewhere but it just doesn't do justice to the music. Listening to it makes me feel so proud to be a film music fan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm with you. PoTC3's effects were my favorite among those three. Although The Golden Compass guys did seem genuinely surprised to get it, which is pretty rare.

It's just more proof that the academy is stupid. And I liked the year they lined up the minor category nominees on stage - went so much damn quicker.

I'll be evaluating their best actor choice tonight though; my unlimited card arrived today, so off to see There Will Be Blood.

Gah - I can't believe Juno won best screenplay.

I've never heard such contrite and forced dialog in my life (apart from the prequels that is :P):

"Honest to blog?"

"Oh my GOD. Oh garbage! Phuket, Thailand! "

"It's probably just a food baby. Did you have a big lunch? "

I mean seriously, did they award best screenplay awards to films in the '70s that had jive-talking in them?

I was a bit surprised by the Best Supporting and Lead Actress. I was sure Ellen Page would win it, as she was the main reason why Juno worked. As much as I dislike the film, Transformers should have won for Best SFX. ILM really out-did themselves there. I was also disappointed with Best Score, since out of my favorites Ratatouille and 3:10 to Yuma, neither won. But really, I should've known better.

Davy Jones is enough to win! :)

And it did. Last year. Richly deserved, too.

If santaolalla could win two consecutive years, Davy Jones could have too ;)

I mean, what was so great in Golden Compass? :P

The way the daemons transformed animals was very nice looking. But I agree, PotC or Transformers should have won.

I've come to conclude that the Academy hates multiple-nominations. If someone is nominated twice, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't win.

Obvious example is of John Williams in 2005.

This year, Roger Deakins did not win. This is a crime. Jesse James has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen, matching up with classic spaghetti westerns. No Country For Old Men was also amazing. He should have won.

Cate Blanchett should have won for I'm Not There. She was perfect in that film. Tilda Swinton was very good, and would have been my second choice, but Blanchett deserved it. She was also very powerful in Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and I wouldn't have minded if she won for that. Overall, she deserved an Oscar.

Enchanted lost to a triple-nomination just like Dream Girls. Why nominate it 3 times if you know it won't win. Honestly, "America, F*ck Yeah" from Team America was a better original song than Once.

Wow 3 hrs 15 minutes, has to a record for shortest Oscar telecast.

That was short? Man, I'd hate to see long. And I probably only actually watched a 45ish minute block around the Best Score.

I'm disappointed for Giacchino too, but if there's any justice there's definately one in his future.

I still don't understand all the talk about the show being long. It should be long. For all the time and space given to the race, it should be at least 4 hours long. No matter how detrimental and wrong it might be in concept, it is a yearly celebration of movies, and at least occaisionally (as last night), some of the best movies of that given year. The show would have felt immesurabely shorter and more entertaining had there been more entertainment. Also, of course, cutting out the montages would have helped, too. But if you don't like the show, no reason you should care, and, if you do, I see no reason to cut it short and stick to the awards themselves.

I've come to conclude that the Academy hates multiple-nominations.

I think a double nomination shows just the opposite. When it comes to those double nominess, generally it's someone who Academy voters love. They love them so much, they think they provided two of the best examples of excellence in their category. When it comes down to vote, they can only pick one movie, and slightely less than a passing voters bloc vote for each film. I am certain that Roger Deakins had far more votes than the other people in his field. Academy voters, when faced with two brilliant works of cinematography, will flip a coin.

Cate Blanchett should have won for I'm Not There. She was perfect in that film. Tilda Swinton was very good, and would have been my second choice, but Blanchett deserved it. She was also very powerful in Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and I wouldn't have minded if she won for that. Overall, she deserved an Oscar.

The Elizabeth nomination shows how much they love her. No way in hell is that a serious performance. But they named her just the same. And qhile she was terrific in I'm Not There, I'd sooner have Swinton or Ryan win for a work of more actual substance. Blanchett was brilliant as Dylan. But the role as written is not all that much more than mimickry, nor does the film require more than that.

Enchanted lost to a triple-nomination just like Dream Girls. Why nominate it 3 times if you know it won't win. Honestly, "America, F*ck Yeah" from Team America was a better original song than Once.

Enchanted and Dreamgirls had another thing in common- all three nominated songs sucked. The song from Once is a great song, and it's performance in the film is the exact moment people fell in love with the film. It is miles better than any of the nominated songs. Though there is no doubt that Team America boasts a number of songs that were the best of it's year, and most others (For me, nothing beats the Pearl Harbor song).

I've come to conclude that the Academy hates multiple-nominations. If someone is nominated twice, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't win.

Obvious example is of John Williams in 2005.

This year, Roger Deakins did not win. This is a crime. Jesse James has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen, matching up with classic spaghetti westerns. No Country For Old Men was also amazing. He should have won.

It really hurt him in 1977 when neither Star Wars, or Close Encounters won. :P

PotC dropped the ball in AWE.

Transformers was easily the best visual effects....

This lost to this, and it's not even counting motion or an outstanding shot.

Let me put it this way.In TF I was watching real transformers,in Golden Compass i was still watching fake CG talking animals

Transformers clearly deserved it. It might be a bit of a conspiracy theory, but the academy seems to have a problem in awarding ILM in recent years.

ILM and JW

The golden compass?!?

Since when are...

Giant robots blowing the garbage (when did we get a curse filter) out of each other & Giant hurricane whirlpool storm battle LESS than a Talking polar bear when it comes to FXs?

Gah, there is no sense in that

Oh well, at least Sweeney won for art direction. Kinda sad August Rush didnt win for song though =[. It should have been nominated for score.

Oh well, at least Sweeney won for art direction. Kinda sad August Rush didnt win for song though =[. It should have been nominated for score.

Mark Mancina, Oscar nominee? I rather like the sound of that, though many here would disagree with uproar :)

Enchanted and Dreamgirls had another thing in common- all three nominated songs sucked.

The nominated songs from Enchanted (the ones used in the film, at least) were great, especially "That's How You Know." Not up to the level of Menken's '90s classics, but lots of fun nonetheless. I suggest you see the film.

I did see the film. Liked it, too. I couldn't stand 'That's How you know'. The Happy Working Song was fine but forgettable. The only memorable song was 'True Love's Kiss'.

I thought "That's How You Know" was a great setpiece of a song (loved the whole Central Park production). "True Love's First Kiss" didn't impress me as much as the others.