Favorite TV sitcom

tpigeon

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy, that's just THE subject. Sitcoms are all I watch, and I have encyclopedic knowledge of most shows. Off the top of my head, these are my favorites:

Let's see now. About urban sitcoms, I would say Seinfeld was the best one out there. Unless you consider MTV's Daria to be a sitcom. Fraiser is doubtlessly good and funny, although it's turned a little predictable in the last seasons. Friends was good at first, but it then turned into one more product of the franchise. It is still good to watch, though. Mad About You showed how you can make a good sitcom using only two characters if they chemistry is as abundant as it was in this case.

Crazy Family sitcoms abound: Malcolm in the Middle was (and kinda is) pretty good, and the songs in the soundtrack are outstanding (I'm waiting for a Volume 2). The Simpsons, before Mike Scully came along was genious, of course. Futurama was pretty good but I'm kind of glad they cancelled it before they lost their dignity like with The Simpsons. Same to Family Guy, a show in which most episodes were excellent, mostly due to short lifespan (50 episodes, I believe).

And now for the baaad ones:

Caroline in the City had good characters but wasted them on a exclusively-for-women storyline. Pitty. Veronica's Closet was good on its first season but it was too irregular to be interesting. Jesse was another attempt at bringing back moral sitcoms and failed miserably (good). The Nanny is, as Marlon Brando would say, the horror! the horror! Good performances by the butler though. I always thought Dharma and Greg was plain stupid, as was Married...With Children, that Floppy show and good-family shows: Family Matters, Full House, I Love Lucy, etc. Yuck!

-ROSS, who has his own sitcom on season 7 and counting

News Radio - Poor Phil Hartman, tragic and unecessary death. May he rest in peace.

Scrubs! I can't believe no one has mentioned scrubs.

Kids in the hall

Who's line is it anyway? (Does it count?) 50 points to you if it does.

Friends used to be good.

Seinfeld was halarious when i watched it, but it doesn't seem to strike the same cord with me in reruns.

Frasier. "Nightmere Inn..." "Ahhh! Look out! He's got a nug!"

"...And NO ONE... was chasing ME!?" :(:pukeface::pukeface:

Perfect Strangers

ALF - Remember the roach episode?

The Norm Show - Haven't laughed so hard in awhile. :pukeface::pukeface::pukeface:

Friends is as good or better than it ever was. Just look at the ratings. Plus, it's just plain hilarious.

Ross, how can you dislike I Love Lucy??????? It's a classic, and has stood the test of time. It's as good as anything on today, that's for sure.

Ray Barnsbury

Friends is as good or better than it ever was.  Just look at the ratings.  Plus, it's just plain hilarious.  

Ratings don't make a show. They just extend its life. ANd the show isn't much more hilarious than some other unfairly ignored sitcoms.

Ross, how can you dislike I Love Lucy???????  It's a classic, and has stood the test of time.  It's as good as anything on today, that's for sure.

Well, here's the thing. This show has been terribly copicatted. And I've only watched the copies (The Nanny for instance), so the original doesn't feel much different now. I'm not such a big fan of old sitcoms (Bewitched, etc.)

How could I forget stuff like Cheers yesterday! That's The Sitcom, the show all sitcoms are based on. The only show that was benefitted by continous cast changes. Yay Woody Boyd!! Becker was an excellent way for Ted Danson to continue his career, but then the character of Reggie quit the show and it went downhill. They should put it out of its misery.

George Wendt (Norm) also had another try at The Naked Truth, but it came when the show had been bought by ABC and was already :( . What a shame, because it had an excellent first season. It used to make fun of everything, even itself.

Notice that no-one will mention The Drew Carey show anymore. And I also expect King of the Hill to have few votes. Only my 14 year old cousin likes that show.

-ROSS

Dharma and Greg was plain stupid, as was Married...With Children, that Floppy show and good-family shows: Family Matters, Full House, I Love Lucy, etc. Yuck!

:? I Love Lucy bad??? :(

Married With Children is easily on of the best sitcoms of it's time.

The ultimate celebration of the American blue collar worker.

Dharma & Greg is very good

Why has nobody mentioned M.A.S.H.???

Stefancos- who thinks Ross has no taste what...so...ever.

Oh, yeah, M.A.S.H. That was good. I like David Odgen Stiers. I kinda laughed more with his character in Two Guys and a Girl (and a Pizza Place). That was a funny sitcom, and used the Raiders March once in a while.

Stefancos, Stefancos, Stefancos . . . . .Dharma and Greg is very good? That only makes me wonder about the quality of TV programming in your country. I can see that Married With Children is good, at its opening season. But then they changed the neighbor's husband and it all went downhill from there on. Too cilché, too zany, too unreal. David Faustino was stil the funniest kid to be in a sitcom, though.

-ROSS, who thinks Stefancos has no -- I'll stop there.

Ross, I never said or meant that ratings make a show. I was trying to say that people wouldn't watch it if they didn't like it. A few years ago, Friends' ratings were lower than they had been in a while, and now they're up again. That implies to me that it's still pretty good. Plus, I'm speaking from personal opinion, and I can accept that you disagree. :(

I think Married with Children, from what I've seen of it, is stupid. Worse than Dharma and Greg. Again, just my opinion. And Nemesis, I agree about Home Improvement, it was great.

Ray Barnsbury

M.A.S.H.??? Too much sarcasm. Married With Children is a poor mans version of the simpsons but it's still very good. :(

Dharma and Greg? Never watched it much and can't say.

Home Improvement?? Well, worth it for the scenes of him doing his tool show. :( Not much else of value.

Friends is stupid.

The Nanny is pretty funny, however rather annoying too.

Veronica's Closet is great!

Ross, I never said or meant that ratings make a show.  I was trying to say that people wouldn't watch it if they didn't like it.  A few years ago, Friends' ratings were lower than they had been in a while, and now they're up again.  That implies to me that it's still pretty good.  Plus, I'm speaking from personal opinion, and I can accept that you disagree. :)

Okay! :angry:

I do like Friends, though. I just don't think it's the best show out there, unlike it has been claimed.

-ROSS

Oh, yeah, M.A.S.H. That was good. I like David Odgen Stiers. I kinda laughed more with his character in Two Guys and a Girl (and a Pizza Place). That was a funny sitcom, and used the Raiders March once in a while.

I liked that one too, has it been cancelled?

Stefancos, Stefancos, Stefancos . . . . .Dharma and Greg is very good? That only makes me wonder about the quality of TV programming in your country.

I'm sure you only see it in a Spanish dub in YOUR country.

no habla]I can see that Married With Children is good, at its opening season. But then they changed the neighbor's husband and it all went downhill from there on. Too cilché, too zany, too unreal. David Faustino was stil the funniest kid to be in a sitcom, though.

Since when do sitcoms have to be realistic, I do not believe that in real live you can hear a laugh track every time some one make a joke.

Married With Children didn't get good till after a one or 2 seasons, when they finally worked out the formula, and made it completely cartoonish.

season 1 seemed almost plausible.

-ROSS, who thinks Stefancos has no -- I'll stop there.

I'll have you know that I do have cojones.

Stefancos- :angry:

:)

Do i detect a little bit a insecurity Cosman? :angry:

Justin - Who misses the green jumping smilies. And remembers Steffen owes him 3 cds anyway. And i recieved yesterday, Blade 2 2CD complete, The Craft complete and War Games 27 tracks, all 3 with no SFX. :wow:

You don't know me very well, or else you would know i'm the least insecure person on this MB.

(Would you put on an avatar of some naked guy who is the boyfriend of someone else on the MB?)

As for those scores you just got, none of them hold any interest for me WHAT....SO....EVER!!!

Stefancos- :angry:

Ross, if I could reach through the internet, I probably would strangle you. ;)

YOU liked VERONICA'S CLOSET :?

But you hate I LOVE LUCY. :angry:

YOU HATE THE GREATEST TELEVISION SHOW OF ALL TIME.

THE GREATEST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME

Maybe you work for TV-Guide which stupidly said Seinfeld was better.

Well there is no accounting for taste. :)

some of my favorite tv sitcoms are I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, All in the Family, Good Times, The Jeffersons. Others inclued

Cheers and Nightcourt(perhaps the funniest hour of tv ever). Soap was terrifically funny. Facts of Life was always fun.

I agree with Ray, Friends is the best sitcom on tv right now. And its gotten better which for a show this old is remarkable. Will and Grace is quite good, Raymond is truely a great show which in my opinion falls just short of Friends.

Never have watched a single episode of the Simpsons, I hate Married with Children, home Improvement never made me laugh(just can't stand Tim Allen).

The Simpson and an old favourite that still makes me laugh when i see re-runs,:I Dream of Jeannie(it had Barbara Eden as a bonus of course ROTFLMAO )

Ross, if I could reach through the internet, I probably would strangle you. :)  

YOU liked VERONICA'S CLOSET :?  

But you hate I LOVE LUCY. ROTFLMAO  

YOU HATE THE GREATEST TELEVISION SHOW OF ALL TIME.

THE GREATEST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME

Maybe you work for TV-Guide which stupidly said Seinfeld was better.

Well there is no accounting for taste. :)

I (Don't) Love Lucy is not the kind of show I like. I rather them when they are iconoclast, when they laugh at clichés. Yes, I know I Love Lucy invented those clichés, I just personally don't like. And I most certainly do not recall having said I like Veronica's Closet. I said it was part of the baaaaad shows.

some of my favorite tv sitcoms are   I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show,  All in the Family, Good Times, The Jeffersons.

So there. You like '60s and '70s shows. That's a style I personally don't like, so that must be why we disagree.

I agree with Ray, Friends is the best sitcom on tv right now.  And its gotten better which for a show this old is remarkable.  Will and Grace is quite good, Raymond is truely a great show which in my opinion falls just short of Friends.

What did you say about no being accounting for taste? ;)

-ROSS

Stefancos, Stefancos, Stefancos . . . . .Dharma and Greg is very good? That only makes me wonder about the quality of TV programming in your country.

I'm sure you only see it in a Spanish dub in YOUR country.

Actually I watch it in English. CSD, my friend. AND I actually find the parody they made of the show in Family Guy funnier than the actual show.

Since when do sitcoms have to be realistic, I do not believe that in real live you can hear a laugh track every time some one make a joke.

Married With Children didn't get good till after a one or 2 seasons, when they finally worked out the formula, and made it completely cartoonish.

season 1 seemed almost plausible.

I'm not saying the format of a sitcom has to be realisitc, I just think that the plots should be stories we all relate to. The Bundys became a weird family who were millionaires in one episode and poor in the other and would be famous for just a few days, and when they make it on the newspapers on the following day nobody remembers them. Yeah, there's the american standard family. :roll:

I'll have you know that I do have cojones.

Yes, and you like them very much. I can see it in your avatar.

-ROSS, who knows Steffy is the most insecure guy in any MB.

What did you say about no being accounting for taste?  ROTFLMAO  

-ROSS

Well Ross, Friends is both critically acclaimed and its the most popular show on tv so I would say my taste is quite good, and you did say Veronica's closet was good the first year, so thats where I figured you liked it.

And I am puzzled, you say Lucy is cliched, which it isn't. It is both a situational comedy, and a physical comedy show. Its apparant you haven't given the show a chance, because

I LOVE LUCY IS FUNNIER THAN EVERY SHOW

ON TELEVISION THIS SEASON

thats not because its old, it is because it is funny, and the same with all of the old shows I liked, because they were funny. Notice most are still on tv today. Lucy wasn't a message show, it was about friends who make an audience laugh. In a twisted 21century way Will and Grace is the I Love Lucy for this generation. It works because of sharp wit, and great, and I do mean great physical comedy, which is something lost in most shows today.

there are some really funny people on tv right now, and some really talented and funny people. Wayne Brady comes to mind. He's both witty, and physical. David Swimmer is a good physical comedien, and Lisa Kudrow is a very good physical comedian. I don't mean to imply that old tv is better, because there was alot of junk on then, and while there is tons more junk now there is also a lot more shows out there today.

It amazes me how you could have misunderstood me to that extent.

What did you say about no being accounting for taste?  :sigh:  

-ROSS

Well Ross, Friends is both critically acclaimed and its the most popular show on tv so I would say my taste is quite good, and you did say Veronica's closet was good the first year, so thats where I figured you liked it.

That taste thing was a joke. Hence the winking face. I thought Veronica's Closet WAS good for the first season, true. But the two posterior seasons dragged it down with them. And about Friends, all I'm saying is that it's the most popular show out there, but I hesitaste to consider it the funniest. Critical acclaim does very little for me.

And I am puzzled, you say Lucy is cliched, which it isn't.  It is both a situational comedy, and a physical comedy show.  Its apparant you haven't given the show a chance, because  

I LOVE LUCY IS FUNNIER THAN EVERY SHOW

ON TELEVISION THIS SEASON

thats not because its old, it is because it is funny, and the same with all of the old shows I liked, because they were funny.  Notice most are still on tv today.  Lucy wasn't a message show, it was about friends who make an audience laugh.  In a twisted 21century way Will and Grace is the I Love Lucy for this generation.  It works because of sharp wit, and great, and I do mean great physical comedy, which is something lost in most shows today.

Gosh. I'm not saying the show is bad, because I have seen very little of it and it would be unfair for me to judge it. But from what I've seen, it's just the kind of show I don't like. And I'm saying that the ground it broke BECAME cliché in other series. I don't think that, at the time, there was much cliché it that show.

So let's see if you get this: the only way for me to enjoy a funny show is to relate to the main characters and their problems. I don't really relate to a couple in 50's, 60's. That's all.

there are some really funny people on tv right now, and some really talented and funny people.  Wayne Brady comes to mind.  He's both witty, and physical.  David Swimmer is a good physical comedien, and Lisa Kudrow is a very good physical comedian.  I don't mean to imply that old tv is better, because there was alot of junk on then, and  while there is tons more junk now there is also a lot more shows out there today.

Of course you don't say old TV is better, that wouldn't be fair. But there's nothing wrong with liking the shows of yesteryear better than today's shows. Just don't blame me for having it viceversa. By the way, you forgot Ryan Reynolds as the only guy next to Mat Perry who can make an un-funny line funny.

-ROSS, who would urge Joe to read posts twice before replying and who'd prompt him to stop using huge capitals to state his opinion. AND who would like to having a how-to-act chat with Ed O'Neil. :biglaugh:

I like the large letters to express myself. And Ed Oneil is that the guy from married with children? If so can't stand him. he is unfunny.

Joe, who considers himself lucky that I got to watch alot of the older and better shows because tv isn't as good right now as it could be.

its pretty sad when high concept shows of the 21st century are

Ozzie Osbourne, and Anna Nicole Smith shows.

i can't stand the "shows" on MTV.

gross

Ahem. Daria . . . :sigh:

I thought you liked that, Ren.

-ROSS, who survived High School thanks to weekly doses of Daria.

You do not consider it a sitcom?

I think it was a great deal of things, but above them all it was mainly a sitcom.

-ROSS, who in a totally unrelated subject, thinks that Ren is like a Gumbie Cat (from Cats) :mrgreen:

Well, I never liked Friends. Never cracked up laughin at that show, only managed to crack a smile....

Ended up :sigh: watching it.

I did like Married with Children LOL ...and Whose Line....too bad ABC canceled it... :cry:

You do not consider it a sitcom?

I think it was a great deal of things, but above them all it was mainly a sitcom.

Well, if Daria was a sitcom, then Beavis and Butthead certainly was one too.

-ROSS, who in a totally unrelated subject, thinks that Ren is like a Gumbie Cat (from Cats)  :sigh:

Beavis- hehe...hehe...did you read what Ross said...hehe...he...

Butthead- Yeah...huh...huhhuh....he's talking about Ren's pussy...huh...huh...

Stefancos- :biglaugh:

Oh, did Steffy-Weaffy get his feelings hurt? Oh you poor thing, let me come there and kiss it and make it feel all better. :sigh::)

Beavis and Butthead - "Hey! Check it out Butthead, this chich has 3 boobs!"

"Then how many butts does she have?"

Beavis- hehe...hehe...did you read what Ross said...hehe...he...

Butthead- Yeah...huh...huhhuh....he's talking about Ren's pussy...huh...huh...

Stefancos-  :biglaugh:

For your own good, I hope she wasn't offended by that.

-ROSS, Don Quixote of his time

Most sitcoms of late rely on in your face sex jokes that aren't funny.Old shows that only implied it like Three's Company were funier.

K.M.