Favorite TV sitcom

tpigeon

Ohh that really depends, sometimes that works if it's about for example married couples dealing with sex.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most sitcoms of late rely on in your face sex jokes that aren't funny.Old shows that only implied it like Three's Company were funier.

K.M.

to use the commonly used phrase on this Board.... Total Agreement! i can't stand Will and Grace, though some in your face sex jokes can be funny. but too many shows today rely on that stuff.

Ted

Current Shows

1. Sex and the City

2. Absolutely Fabulous

3. Will and Grace

4. Friends

5. Frasier

Past Shows

1. Fawlty Towers

2. Bewitched

3. I Love Lucy

4. Are You Being Served

5. Mad about You

Of course my favorite is drama and in that catagory it is

1. Six Feet Under

2. Alias

3. ER

4. 24

5. West Wing

though there are plenty more drama's that are great.

Damn it, that was me up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wasn't I signed in?????? That's odd!!!! And after all the trouble I went through posting current, past and drama!?!?!?!

Anyway, sex and the city has to be the best comedy show out there for my taste.

Shut up B***h :biglaugh:

I'm sure plenty of people here do but hey, what can I say, it's just so impersonal. ;)

In sitcoms I did love 3rd Rock from the Sun. Next was Newsradio. Somehow I never cared much for Friends, Seinfeld or Frasier.

In animation, these are theoretically SITuation COMedieS that I love: South Park, Ren & Stimpy, The Simpsons.

From the oldies: I love Lucy, Bewitched, Taxi, Dick Van Dicke. Lost in Space was maybe a sitcom thanks to Dr. Smith and the Robot LOL (man, I loved their fights)

These are plain comedy shows that I always have in my digital recorder: Whose line is it anyway, SNL, Mistery Science Theater 3000, and every rerun of Robin Williams in "Inside the Actor's Studio" <- another genius 'Williams'.

ocelot's boyfriend picture starts talking and in a Arnold Swartsenagger (how ever the hell you spell that) starts saying...

"Look- i have hair under my arms."

"See dis ladies, you can't hove any of dis man meat. Ya ya." :P

sounds funnier if you imagine the caterpillar from bugs life saying it LOL

hey, you joined on my birthday, may 31st!

• 3 years later...

I never replied to this thread.

Some of my favorites thru the years have been:

Emergency

M.A.S.H.

Three's Company

Charlie's Angels

Soap

Family Guy

Friends

E.R.

N.Y.P.D. Blue

Home Improvement

Nip / Tuck

Lost

George Lopez

Everybody Loves Raymond

Yikes, I was in my first year at the board when this thread was posted. Being young and naive was fun!

Ray Barnsbury - who, incidentally, still thinks Friends was the best sitcom from the 90s...although it did peak in the 6th season

but it ended so well,

especially when compared to the overrated, not nearly as funny, self centered, bloated so called comedy named Seinfeld. But if you rated final episodes by how much they sucked, then Seinfeld was #1.

The Office. The British that's one more than 5 times the number of awards than the American version has, from half the number of episodes. :D

Seriously though, I did enjoy the American version, but nowhere near as much.

I never replied to this thread.

Neither have I. I have 9 seasons of Friends on DVD (have yet to get the last one) and liked them a lot. I'm also a fan of Gilmore Girls, though I guess that doesn't really qualify as a sitcom.

However, Coupling (I only know the British version, and I don't see what's "alternate" about it) is outstanding. The first season is very funny. The first half of the second season is great. From there on until the end of the third season, it's art. A shame about the fourth season though... it'd be okay, actually, though not overly good, but compared to the first three...

And there's always Monty Python's Flying Circus (sitcom or not?) and Fawlty Towers.

However, Coupling (I only know the British version, and I don't see what's "alternate" about it) is outstanding. The first season is very funny. The first half of the second season is great. From there on until the end of the third season, it's art. A shame about the fourth season though... it'd be okay, actually, though not overly good, but compared to the first three...

I don't think there's a single letter in there that I disagree with. Series 4 does have enjoyable moments, but it is a step backward compared to the first three. Good thing they stopped when they did, especially with Stephen Moffat writing every year for Who now.

And of coure these two, technically sitcoms, have to be mentioned: Blackadder. Red Dwarf.

I remember thinking the shortlived American version of Coupling was remarkably unintelligent and not at all funny. Good to hear that the original was actually good.

Ray Barnsbury

Actually just The Office and, to a much lesser extent, Friends, I think.

I mean, an American Jeeves and Wooster would just... not work. Or it'd work just as well as a British Smallville.

Wasn't Friends partially based on Coupling?

Well Friends started in 1994, and Coupling started in 2000. But I always thought of Coupling as a sex-obsessed British version of Friends, and I'd be rather surprised it that was simple coincidence.

Coupling was often compared to Friends during it's run, but as someone who loves Coupling and has never been able to sit through more than maybe 5 minutes of Friends I see no comparison beyond the superficial. And on the DVDs I seem to remember Steven Moffat trying to distance his show from those comparisions.

And Ray, yes the American version was total and unadulterated crap. It never should have made it on the air, and it was a blessing for the world it was cancelled so quickly.

Actually just The Office and, to a much lesser extent, Friends, I think.

I mean, an American Jeeves and Wooster would just... not work. Or it'd work just as well as a British Smallville.

Not all of them are current shows. Some of the older comedies come from British sitcoms.

Three's Company

All In The Family

Sanford And Son

To name a few.