Williams to score next Bond film?

I posted this on a couple of Bond websites and got some very interesting responses. What If John Williams was to score or be offered to score the next James Bond film?. Now I know that such a project may be below him and that he would have to adapt the Monty Norman score but I just can't help thinking what type of chase/action music he would compose.

Maybe he would charge too much or be excited to be offered the chance to rescore Bond in his own inimitable style.

Williams has stepped into this suit over 12 times and produced some dazzling light and heavy orchestral scores for such genres.

After all, Arnolds done Stargate, ID-4 and The Musketeer so I see no reason why Williams wouldnt also bring something new to Bond. I wonder what he would say if he were asked? I know I'm probably going to get more negative than positive responses from a Bond website but what does worlds best forum on John Williams think?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Williams scoring a Bond film would be a total disaster.The beat of Bond scores is totally different from Williams style.He could do a Star Trek though,I'd like that..

K.M.

I would also NOT like to see this happen.

I feel Bond scores are really not Williams' kind of thing.

Not to mention the Bond films as of late have been lame as hell.

Yes, it somehow doesn't really fit. In the 70s, I bet he could have done a good one. But then, there was no need to replace Barry back then. :angry:

I would REALLY like to hear a Williams Trek score. But then again, I wouldn't want to swap any Goldsmtih Trek score for it.

Marian - who'd rather see those remastered EMI Bond CDs instead of a Williams Bond score.

How many times are you going to use that come back Stefan?? :?

Its getting a little tired buddy. :angry:

OH and just for the record aren't you the guy who always says people have a right to their opinions on this board?

A little bit hypocritical no?

Look if you like the recent Bond films fine. Goodf for you. I don't and I make no apologies for it.

Man if there is one thing I cannot stand its people who take negative comments towards movies and soundtracks personally. Like you are friggin insulting a member of their bloody family or something. The hell is up with that? If you are so sttached to a movie or even a sountrack that you cannot handle some negative feedback and must insult people who don't like something you like you REALLY need to get a life.

Jesus! The hell do you people even come to a forum for if you don 't expect to hear BOTH sides? :)

I don't like the recent bond films either,the plots are lame.Where is S.P E,C,T R,E, and its evil ploys to destroy the world,and other memorable villains with similar intent.

K.M.

How many times are you going to use that come back Stefan??  :?  

Its getting a little tired buddy.  :angry:  

OH and just for the record aren't you the guy who always says people have a right to their opinions on this board?  

A little bit hypocritical no?

Look if you like the recent Bond films fine. Goodf for you. I don't and I make no apologies for it.  

Man if there is one thing I cannot stand its people who take negative comments towards movies and soundtracks personally. Like you are friggin insulting a member of their bloody family or something. The hell is up with that? If you are so sttached to a movie or even a sountrack that you cannot handle some negative feedback and must insult people who don't like something you like you REALLY need to get a life.

Jesus! The hell do you people even come to a forum for if you don 't expect to hear BOTH sides?  :)

I'm sorry, I don't much like you, and on occasion it shows.

It has nothing to do with your taste of movies or music or anything.

I just don't like you very much.

I'll try to restrain my disdain.

Stefancos- who does not wanna bother the other posters with this.

I don't like the recent bond films either,the plots are lame.Where is S.P E,C,T R,E, and its evil ploys to destroy the world,and other memorable villains with similar intent.

K.M.

They cannot use SPECTRE anymore, not Blofeld.

The rights on both the organisation and the character have for decades been in dispute, and I doubt it will ever be resolved.

As for Williams doing a Bond....naaaahh, won't happen, shouldn't happen.

Besides, i'm not sure Williams would be willing to make much use of John Barry's (who's Monty Norman???) Bond Theme.

Stefancos- Who would like to hear Williams conduct the Bond Theme though.

Well, I usually agree with Stefancos, but this time I sincerely have to say that I personally regard the James Bond series to be a total disaster, especially the last two films.

I liked Goldeneye to a certain extent, but the Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough were downright silly and so incredibly childish that I cannot believe there is an audience out there that really gets kicks out of this material.

But oh well; I like Attack Of The Clones. Flame me for that.

Bye,

Roald

Childish???

Foolishness!!!!

Roald, have you seen ANY of the Roger Moore Bond films?

Moore locking a midget in a suitcase and hanging him in the mast of a boat, now THAT'S childish.

Stefancos- who thinks TND or TWINE are superiour to TPM and AOTC in every way, especially their scores.

Stefancos II- wonering when Roald will finally make his big comeback. :angry:

I'm sorry Stefan, but Tomorrow Never Dies is one of the worst films I ever saw in a theatre. I don't like the James Bond world where politics and crime are presented in such a way where it's not plausible and where it becomes understandable for 5 year olds. It's too simplistic and laughable at times.

The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones are not perfect movies, but have, for me personally, a greater 'cool'-factor. The Qui-Gonn/Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul battle, the Coruscant Chase, the CloneTrooper battle, Anakin loses his arm, Jango Fett vs. Obi Wan, Anakins' confession about the Tusken Slaughter, lightsabers, the Jedi Council...

It's really comparing apples with peers, but where I find Jedi's and lightsabers cool, I find stuff like James Bond villians childish and nerdy.

In the end; it's just opinion ofcourse. You understand that.

Bye,

Roald

Hmmmm....I wonder, when did you see your fist Bond film.

To really enjoy this series it is essential to be exposed to it between the age of 12 to 15, because at that age, the main ingredients of the series, a cool secret agent, exotic locations, explosions, gadgets and most importantly, beautiful women appeal to you the most.

Off course the Bond films are silly and unrealistic but they depend on a certain "formula" that has been nurtured and perfected eversince the 60's.

Watching a Bond film is going back to your teen years.

I'm certain your love for Star Wars is very similar to my love for the James Bond films.

Stefancos- Who's glad Broccoli and Wilson aren't censored up the Bond franschise like Lucas is censored up the SW series.

that could be right. as a child or teen i wasn't interested in james bond at all.

but star wars has a different appeal i think. i've encountered several people who began an interest in star wars when they were 16 years or older. star wars is much more spiritual, serious, visually attractive than james bond.

please don't think of jar jar or ewoks when i explain the strength of star wars. it's just that just the image of darth vader for example is such a strong icon that being associated with it is considered 'cool' or 'alternative' in modern youth culture. i still consider myself youth, although i know that statistically speaking that's bogus. still; a lot of my interests overlap those of younger generations; manga, anime, modern popular music (korn, cradle of filth, eminem), tattooing, skating, buffy and star wars.

yes, star wars, despite a lot of critique (mostly by devoted fanatics of the 'original trilogy' who seem to lack a private life) is considered 'hot' or 'cool' nowadays.

but i guess most don't really care about the opinions of the younger generations. that's fine. i'm only trying to show that star wars has a certain element, a certain factor that james bond simply lacks. that element is the element of 'cool'.

now; stefan i agree about beautiful women. but when i was a teen i really didn't need james bond films to get off on. but i think that chinese girl from one of the last two films is really beautiful (michelle yoeh something). ofcourse zhang ziyi from crouching tiger, hidden dragon is more attractive and sensual, but i guess james bond was a little below her standards.

in my personal opinion it all narrows down to the following conclusion:

star wars = cool

james bond = nerdy

bye,

roald - don't take this too personal ok?

Off course any one can state similar things about the SW films, or indeed Star Trek, and it would be just as true, or false as your comments about the Bond series.

For instance, I like the Star wars films, but your comments about them being something spiritual are total bogus to me, they are great popcorm movies, possible the greatest ever made (the original films that is).

But nothing more.

You may not understand my love for the Bond films, but i'm sure Indysolo and JoeinAr know exectly what i'm talking about.

Teach him, you guys, but be gentle with him, for he does not know what he's missong.

Stefancos- who has no real interest in Buffy manga, anime, modern popular music (korn, cradle of filth), , skating,

Roald...tattooing???? :angry:

Its all been very personal regarding whether Williams should score a bond film looking at all the last 17 reactions to this idea.How about being more pro-positve about such an idea rather than being anti.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WILLIAMS SCORE BOND. BE OPEN MINDED TO WHAT COULD RESULT.

about star trek the same applies as james bond i agree. star trek is considered a little less nerdy than james bond, but nerdy nonetheless. but i've observed that star wars is above the nerd-attacks. i attend a lot of high schools and colleges every year and when i guide or counsel my students eventually star wars becomes a topic. and it's considered cool among the cool ones. i don't make that up myself.

about tattooing; i design tattoo's (mostly tribal), but i have only one on my upper left arm. i think it's beautiful, but too much is definately ugly.

bye,

roald

And just one other thing, I've had the privilege of working in the film industry and am able to get close to quite a few people and ask questions.

Now that I have got the attention of people in this forum, when Williams was at the Barbican in London a few years ago I had the great fortune of meeting him backstage after he had conducted the LSO and he said to me when asked that it was not out of the question for him to score a Bond film. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT.

. i attend a lot of high schools and colleges every year and when i guide or counsel my students eventually star wars becomes a topic. and it's considered cool among the cool ones. i don't make that up myself.

Hmmm....no, but you use it to vindicate your love for Star Wars.

Let's face it, there are many people who think that dressing up as Maul of Vader, and waving a fake light sabre around is the hight of Nerdom.

I actually happen to agree with that.

Which is why I will never wear any kind of Star trek costume what so ever.

about tattooing; i design tattoo's (mostly tribal), but i have only one on my upper left arm. i think it's beautiful, but too much is definately ugly.

bye,

roald

Indeed it is.

Stefancos- who will never get one.

And just one other thing, I've had the privilege of working in the film industry and am able to get close to quite a few people and ask questions.

Now that I have got  the attention of people in this forum, when Williams was at the Barbican in London a few years ago I had the great fortune of meeting him backstage after he had conducted the LSO and he said to me when asked that it was not out of the question for him to score a Bond film. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Indeed, and if we would have any idea of who you were we might actually belief that.

For all we know you could be Roald. :biglaugh:

Stefancos- who wonders why so many post here under guest

Hmmm....no, but you use it to vindicate your love for Star Wars.

Not exactly. Just to show how, by my personal observations ofcourse, Star Wars is less nerdy than James Bond in the opinion of the general public.

Let's face it, there are many people who think that dressing up as Maul of Vader, and waving a fake light sabre around is the hight of Nerdom.

This is really such a small group compared to the millions of Star Wars devotees who would never even think about dressing up as Boba Fett or getting high by swinging a crappy Toys R' Us Obi Wan Kenobi electronic lightsaber.

It's really a shame that this small group of "I-never-had-sex-so-I-play-with-a-1983-Princess-Leia-in-Jabba-outfit-action-figure-in-the-toilet" geeks get all the attention in the media. They're not even real Star Wars fans in my book.

And you're right; they're the defination of nerdom.

Bye,

Roald

No Stefancos, I'm not Roald but I'm definitely what you would call a shaker and a mover in the UK film industry. We are talking exhibition/distribution here.

Roald, have you seen ANY of the Roger Moore Bond films?

Moore locking a midget in a suitcase and hanging him in the mast of a boat, now THAT'S childish.

. ROTFLMAO

That sequence WAS funny as hell.While Moore wasn't as "cool" as Sean Connery,he did put in some humor in the charcater,and I liked that,and his famous eyebrow raise.The first bond films I saw and made me like them were with Moore,incidentally.

Pierce Brosnan just plays the role boringly straight without an ounce of personality.

K.M.Who thinks Moonraker is one of the best bond films,along with the best score of all the series.

Stefan... Why do you have my boyfriend as your avatar???????????  Now what's happened??????

he's making a point of annoying me even more,if you missed a certain thread.

K.M.

That sequence WAS funny as hell.

Indeed LOL

While Moore wasn't as "cool" as Sean Connery,he did put in some humor in the charcater,and I liked that,and his famous eyebrow raise.

Me too :)

The first bond films I saw and made me like them were with Moore,incidentally.

Same here ;)

Pierce Brosnan just plays the role boringly straight without an ounce of personality.

Agreed. ROTFLMAO

K.M.Who thinks Moonraker is one of the best bond films,along with the best score of all the series.

YES, YES, YES! Total agreement!!!!!!!!!

:)

Morn you are too young to imbide in such hard liquor.

I have to agree with Ricard and KM, I loved Moonraker too. Its silly and fun, and has far more ummphh than any bond film lately.

And its so un PC, that its refreshing.

Of course my favorite is still the Spy Who Loved Me. to me that is Moore's Bond at his best, and still the best Bond song in the last 24 years.

So you are both idiots.

And you're a stupid kid who wasn't even born when those movies were released.

Ricard :)

Atleast I don't post a :sigh: emoticon every time someome posts that he loves the scores for Braveheart and Gladiator.

Stefancos- who thinks Aliens is a GREAT film. :ola:

So you are both idiots.

And you're a stupid kid who wasn't even born when those movies were released.

Ricard :ola:

Atleast I don't post a :sigh: emoticon every time someome posts that he loves the scores for Braveheart and Gladiator.:

You know very well that I don't say anything most of the times.

Children Children, Calm down. I'm already in a state, I woke up extremely vexed, then I realize that rats got a hold of two of my birds and all that's left are feathers and blood everywhere and now this! Honestly!

I'm sorry, I don't much like you, and on occasion it shows.  

It has nothing to do with your taste of movies or music or anything.  

I just don't like you very much.  

I'll try to restrain my disdain.

That was a truly heartfelt apology. :P

Children Children, Calm down.  I'm already in a state, I woke up extremely vexed, then I realize that rats got a hold of two of my birds and all that's left are feathers and blood everywhere and now this!  Honestly!

Oh dear . . . sorry to hear that. :P

Ray Barnsbury