Winners of the World Soundtrack Award

Public Choice Award: Lord Of The Rings (by Howard Shore)

Discovery of the Year: Klaus Badelt (Time Machine)

Best Original Song written for a Film "If I didn't have you" by Randy Newman (Monsters Inc)

Composer of the Year: Patrick Doyle (Gosford Park)

Best Original Soundtrack of the Year: Lord Of The Rings (by Howard Shore)

Lifetime Achievement Award: Sir George Martin

:angry: Williams was nominated with Attack of the Clones for 'Best Original Soundtrack of the Year'... :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Of The Rings is not a good score,

and Shore is not a good composer.

I don't like scores from Shore and i think Williams was the better man for this jobs. :angry:

Andreas ( Admin )

Very good, Shore definitely deserves the awards he gets for FOTR. Though I still say Williams should have won a Grammy for Potter. Nice to see Doyle get some recognition, too, though I haven't heard this particular score. But Klaus Badelt...? Parts of Time Machine were rather nice, but not great. The rest was typcally annoying MV stuff.

ROTFLMAO  Williams was nominated with Attack of the Clones for 'Best Original Soundtrack of the Year'...  :)

and he didn't deserve to win for AOTC anyways.

k.M.Who sees stefancos beat him to it again.

I also don't see(hear) anything interesting in LOTR score. It's in The Mummy Returns style. Nothing special. Annoying.

Williams (at least) shuold be nominated/winner for composer of the year.

Stefancos- who does not think AOTC should win ANYTHING.

Finaly we agree on something!

Morlock- who thinks Stefancos generaly wouldn't know great music if it bit him in the ass :sigh::ola:

I also don't see(hear) anything interesting in LOTR score. It's in The Mummy Returns style. Nothing special. Annoying.

Yes, but unlike mummy returns, it's very good! Nothing special? Hehe, with all those tone clusters it's not exactly genric either.

:) You are PATHETHIC.

I can agree about AOC not winnig for score and other things. (neither FOTR, of course)

BUT if there was justice in the World, AOC WILL won best special effects. IT DESERVES IT, whenever you liked the movie or not. The effects are nearly perfect and the best ones in film history.

I'm not saying any other awards. Just the technical ones. It HAS won them. I hope you agree with me. ( sure you'll do :roll: )

PS: sorry about the 'Pathethic' thing LOL

BUT if there was justice in the World, AOC WILL won best special effects. IT DESERVES IT, whenever you liked the movie or not. The effects are nearly perfect and the best ones in  film history.

I agree with Skywalker (at all).

The second best F/X of the year are the ones from Minority report. Obviously, it won't win either.

I thought AOTC had great effects, but in some scenes they were too obvious (not Yoda, I think he was great). The one movie that full of effects but where I really can't tell them apart from the "real" scenes 99% of the time is FOTR. Ok, so it came out one year before AOTC, but TTT is coming this year, and from the "Massive" bits we've seen, I don't doubt it'll be even more impressive.

Er wait......

Ok, now

:):):angry:ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

:angry:

Do you seriously BELIEVE THAT?

I like quantity and you not that is subjective.

Man i CAN accept you dont like AOC acting-directing-story-dialogue-score, but those are also subjective opinions. We are speaking of Quality. That MUST be objective. I CANNOT accept that you say that FORT is better, if you would have said an ILM movie like MR, it could be argueable, but AOC will won anyway.

I can just think about the hobbits enlarging-shirnking throughout the movie. The Ugly Cave troll (and that lave 'elf' in his back. ) The bad done bridge scene part when the floor falls off....

The only 'bad' thing in AOC is Anakin rididng the Naboo cow.

AOC can be all what you want, BUT IT IS A TECHNICAL MARVEL. Period

Luke, angry :roll:

PS: The bits i have seen from TTT are VERY similar to FOTR. And using your argument, if it's better than AOC (UNIiKELY) it would be fro the release date. It is going to be released more separated from AOC that FOTR was from AOC.

Luke, the size of the Hobbits compared to the rest of the cast is amazingly consistent throughout the whole film.

A few times you can see that they probably used children, but for most of the film it is done very well.

Especially during the scenes in Bag End, with Gandalf and Bilbo, and later Gandalf and Frodo.

The Bridge of Khazan Dum scene is easily the most powerfull special effects scene I have seen in years.

The Balrog looks amazing, as does the falling bridge.

AOTC has some great effects, especially the chase through coruscant is amazing.

But some are simply substandard.

Yoda is OK (barely), that Dexter guy looks horribly unrealistc, and even Jar Jar look more CGI then in TPM.

Those Arena creatures looked just a bit to cartoonish for my taste and you already mention that huge "cow".

Stefancos- who thinks TPM and AOTC are FX's overkills.

Luke, the size of the Hobbits compared to the rest of the cast is amazingly consistent throughout the whole film.

A few times you can see that they probably used children, but for most of the film it is done very well.

Especially during the scenes in Bag End, with Gandalf and Bilbo, and later Gandalf and Frodo.

The Bridge of Khazan Dum scene is easily the most powerfull special effects scene I have seen in years.

The Balrog looks amazing, as does the falling bridge.

AOTC has some great effects, especially the chase through coruscant is amazing.

But some are simply substandard.

Yoda is OK (barely), that Dexter guy looks horribly unrealistc, and even Jar Jar look more CGI then in TPM.

Those Arena creatures looked just a bit to cartoonish for my taste and you already mention that huge "cow".

Stefancos- who thinks TPM and AOTC are FX's overkills.

the effects in Lord of the Rings were just right. they weren't great, they weren't bad, they were functional... which is all they needed to be. i don't think their as good as you made them out to be, but oh well. i definitely don't think it should have won an Academy Award. that's simply atrocious.

but then again, nothing that ever should win does win, especially in the visual effects department.

personally, i wish the Star Wars prequels had less CGI than they do. i don't have a problem with CGI at all, but i much prefer the real sets of the original when they're standing in a room talking or something. i see no need to make it all CGI. it takes away from it in my opinion. CGI is perfect for landscape shots and chases through a metropolis, and finally space battles.

Ted, who is perplexed by the fact that Lucas is putting fewer and fewer scenes in space in the prequels. it's called Star Wars, gimme some wars in the stars!

I honestly thought a few scenes in LOTR had AWFUL CGI, like the scene with Saruman up on that tower and the camera pans by him, it looks so horrible.

That green dude, I can't remember his name, the one who talks like, "Me want the ring back and me is going to get it back," looks like he's gonna have pretty bad effects, but that's just going on the trailer.

FOTR's score bored me, just like the movie, over all. Didn't sound like ANYTHING special at all to me. Seemed like I'd heard it tons of times before in other movies. Ah well.

If you thought FOTR's fx were good, wait for TTT, which will have whole CGI armies with each solder programmed to fight differently. Very innovative.

FOTR's score bored me, just like the movie, over all. Didn't sound like ANYTHING special at all to me. Seemed like I'd heard it tons of times before in other movies. Ah well.

Not really, all those tone clusters etc. It's not generic. It's a mix of the generic and something like The matrix.

If you thought FOTR's fx were good, wait for TTT, which will have whole CGI armies with each solder programmed to fight differently. Very innovative.

I don't think this will make up for the stories short comings.

Neil

A bunch of drones that all walked the same. :roll: This army will be bigger and have more variety than anything in TPM.

A bunch of drones that all walked the same.  :roll: This army will be bigger and have more variety than anything in TPM.

AOC really DID HAVE Real People on the war :| . I'm sure that 80% of people do not know every Clone trooper was CGI (with it can be CGI overuse and unnecessary, but since they ARE perfect, it doesn't matter)

In AOC armies there are several kinds of droids, several ranks of clone troopers and Jedi. Not to mention the vehicles.

STaefan i didn't spaeked of the balrog, it was OK. Neither i spoke abput the SCENE. I spoke about the falling floor. YOU CAN FEEL that there was floor in the 'abyss'. In my opinion, Indy -Crusade worked better. :P

Personally, the armies when FOTR ring was aired, (i dont know if they are from TTT) ARE A RIPP OFF of the Gungan Army marching for battle. They are marching in the same direction, there is people near, amd there are green plaind and mist.

Yoda is not OK. IT IS THE CGI CHARACTER.

JAR JAR IS LOADS BETTER THAN IN TPM. Just see his clothes.

AOC CGI clothes have almost real quality.

Did it have hundreds of individuals all fighting in a seperate way at once? The battle in AOTC was bigger in scale and didn't have that sort of detail.

Did it have hundreds of individuals all fighting in a seperate way at once? The battle in AOTC was bigger in scale and didn't have that sort of detail.

Do NOT believe that . It is just teasing-advertising.

And please what means 'fighting in a separate way of fighting'? Are they armies or bounty hunters-mercenaries.

It can be good. But NOT THAT good.

What you mean with detail? You do not expect everybody being different from each other, right? At least the elven and humans WILL LOOK the same, and the orcs and goblins WILL LOOK alike (and some WILL BE cloned).

If TTT armies are THAT big, and we are going to see HUNDREDS (or more :angry: ) of people at the same frame, then not much deatail can be expacted from milimeters-centimertrs long people.

They will all fight using different moves and methods. As they are using an AI that will make the individuals fight in the most efficient way they are able to in their location.

I dunno how different they will look, but they will all have a mind of their own as such. More realistic than trying to program the movements of seach solder individually.

They will all fight using different moves and methods. As they are using an AI that will make the individuals fight in the most efficient way they are able to in their location.

I dunno how different they will look, but they will all have a mind of their own as such. More realistic than trying to program the movements of seach solder individually.

THAT sounds like a videogame (wich they are doind it by now) Are you sure you have not misundestood something?

It is the typical thing programmers say about a vidogame (our AI is the best- every character will move differently) And sadly it always ends to near bluff.

I thought CGI characters had no AI. It is like doing cartoons... Have the technology changed? :?

Actually, it's not really like doing cartoons, some things they have to do are more complex than just moving things and texturing them. They have to develope programs especially for some effects.

Yes, the effects in Harry potter were quite bad for the most part (although Fluffy and Voldemort were very well done). ILM had a very small envolvement in PS, and I read it will have a much bigger role in COS, what I think shows in the trailers so far.

Both Pearl Harbour and A.I had better SFX that FOTR IMHO.

The same thing with Perfect Storm, which had way better effects than Gladiator (to me this is clear as water).

TPM had better effects than the Matrix IMHO.

ILM has been and unfair looser in the Oscars quite a few times in the last years. So this year I don't expect AOTC, although it is probably the most worthy candidate.

Perfect Storm's fake looking water was not nearly as good as Gladiator's almost real Rome!

FOTR doesn't need great special fx. :angry:

Real Rome??????

I love the movie, I thought the Coliseum looked great, but Rome looked awful. When Commodus arrives at Rome, with that Wagnerian music playing, the City looks so so so fake.

Perfect Storm's fake looking water was not nearly as good as Gladiator's almost real Rome!

FOTR doesn't need great special fx.  :angry:

You cant say that with Kamido do you?

Gladiator Rome was not that real. The tigers in the Colosseum were crappy.

If FOTR doesn't need great Special effects (and seems you are saying that they are not THAT great), why do you defend them so much?

We are speaking of Technology and Quality. Not the personal opinion about overuse-quantity-ect.

FOTR doesn't need great special fx.  :angry:

Nope, you werent speaking about TTT. :?

Do not expact much cahnge between FOTR and TTT and TROTK. They are going to be made very close and not from a sourceful company as ILM is...

THAT sounds like a videogame (wich they are doind it by now) Are you sure you have not misundestood something?

Morn told the truth.

I thought CGI characters had no AI. It is like doing cartoons... Have the technology changed?  :?

The technology has changed. Because it's more or less impossible to animate a 40 minute battle with 10000 Uruk-Hai riding on Wargs by animating every single character by hand. That's why Weta developed the Massive software, which uses AI to let the characters do "their own stuff". It was used in the opening scenes of FOTR (Luke, tell me where it looks like a droid army, where it is a rip-off from a SW movie, and where you see GREEN PLAINS in Mordor??), but the first real workout for the engine will be the battle of Helm's Deep.

And I can accept people not liking LOTR, but saying that it has no story doesn't make sense.

Marian - who DOES believe that Weta's effects match ILM's. (And I never said AOTC's fx were bad, they weren't at all, but some of them looked more effect-y than FOTR to me, plus it's generally easier to do CGIs of technology stuff - and the cow-thing riding scene in AOTC looked just as bad as Legolas on that cave troll, just that there was no need at all to have Anakin ride on that thing in the first place).

Morn, do you have stock in TTT or something? Geez...

How is it more innovative for hundreds of characters to be programmed to fight different than AOTC's stuff? You just seem like you want LOTR to be so much better than anything else.

At least both films had better special effects than Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

The first Harry Potter film also had better acting, a better script, better music and much better pacing than AOTC and FOTR. So I'd say that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone still comes out on top, no matter what high tech gee gawd stuff these guys throw into their movies.

Neil