Film composers & instruments

Carnifex

I have been wondering about styles composers have for instrumentation: what instruments does Williams (or any composer) use more and what less? Do you hear an oboe in Goldsmith's scores often and so on. One might say that it depends on the film he is composing not having preferences and that could be true.

But still do you honorable film music fans think that there are certain styles visible concerning instruments?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been wondering about styles composers have for instrumentation: what instruments does Williams (or any composer) use more and what less? Do you hear an oboe in Goldsmith's scores often and so on. One might say that it depends on the film he is composing not having preferences and that could be true.

But still do you honorable film music fans think that there are certain styles visible concerning instruments?

John Williams likes French horns—a lot.

It requires lot of concentration to notice these things, to list possible ratios for solo instruments for example. I find it interesting to know though. I have not paid much attention about his earlier, and it might be futile also.

John Williams likes French horns—a lot.

As does Goldenthal.

Williams uses timpani and cymbals much more than anyone else.

Goldsmith had his share of timpani and very effectively he used them too.

Mark you said it first. :)

I think we can connect oboe and Thomas Newman. He sure likes it and I too.

The way he used it in "How to Make an American Quilt" is hauntingly beautiful.

Isn't that also known as Boomtzzzzzzz?

:)

I do believe it is. :rolleyes:

The Boomtzzzzz doesn't use a timpani, but a bass drum.

Williams does have an occasional fondness for timpani solos, often even having the timpani play a theme. That's cool. :)

Isn't that also known as Boomtzzzzzzz?

:)

I do believe it is. :rolleyes:

The Boomtzzzzz doesn't use a timpani, but a bass drum.

Williams does have an occasional fondness for timpani solos, often even having the timpani play a theme. That's cool. :)

I love that term "The Boomtzzzzz". :) Sounds like an orchestra name "Johnny Williams and The Boomtzzzzz".

From what i have seen and heard I thinks instruments he really likes to use are:

WW: Clarinets Most commonly used woodwind in his writing.

BRASS: F Horns Most commonly used instrument in the orchestra! To be honest the man is a genius, i just think he uses the horn way way too much. IMO

PERC: Timp, Piatti's, Glockenspiels. BOOMTZZZZ DING, DA, DINGLY, DING, DING

KEYBOARDS: Piano, Celeste. Pianos and the Celeste a usually never ever used in classical repertoire, well at least not as extravagantly as JW thats y i think he really appreciates the effect the instruments have on an orchestra. I would say this would be his favorite because its his primary.

HARPS:Harp(altho may not be used alot in a piece you can tell by his scoring he really does love the instrument)he puts Harps in every piece. Now studying Schindler's List you can really see his love for the harp come throughout the score.

STRINGS: Cello(WOOOHOOOO baby!!!) you can commonly see how JW uses the cello to really create most of his moods. pitch and sound-wise they relate to the horns very much, so you commonly see them doubled together quite oftan.

Regarding woodwinds, Williams loves flute and oboe solos. (basically all the love themes). You rarely hear a clarinet solo-theme (The Terminal is one of the few examples).

Regarding woodwinds, Williams loves flute and oboe solos. (basically all the love themes). You rarely hear a clarinet solo-theme (The Terminal is one of the few examples).

very true. not trying to argue you have a valuable point but that could possibly just be the style he wanted.

schindler's list also

Do you think there are any particular reasons why not to use clarinet more, is it just because of the films or personal choices?

The piano has seen quite a lot of uses at least starting with the Romantic period. Several operas make heavy use of it (like Korngold's Die tote Stadt, which I just saw today, but also some Strauss operas).

The horn/cello combination was also often employed by Goldsmith, notably in the wonderfully Brucknerian The Monastery from The Final Conflict. And I still have fond memories of the big LSO horn section in his 2001 concert.

In the course of his long career Williams has had time to write solo parts for just about every instrument. One thing in common with most solo instruments is that he makes all of them sing. Every single note is meaningful and makes an impact.

Some of his favourites seem to be

Oboe: Williams employs this instrument for lyrical passages, as it is typically used. His oboe solos are often thoughtful, more so in his later work, almost meditative. Of course the instrument has a romantic quality which is in abundance in all of Williams' work.

Harp: Williams writes the best harp music in films these days. Most people remember just the glissandi of his adventure scores but he has written many subtle but beautiful passages for harp. Lanes of Limerick from Angela's Ashes or The David and Supermecha from A.I. (where there is a subtle harp duet) come to mind first.

Cello: There are numerous examples of cello in his recent years: A.I., Seven Years in Tibet, Memoirs of a Geisha, Angela's Ashes, Munich.

Horn: I think horn is his particular favourite. He writes such beautiful and powerful music for horn(s).

Harp: Williams writes the best harp music in films these days. Most people remember just the glissandi of his adventure scores but he has written many subtle but beautiful passages for harp. Lanes of Limerick from Angela's Ashes or The David and Supermecha from A.I. (where there is a subtle harp duet) come to mind first.

Fluffy's Harp :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, do you remember any examples (of timpani playing a theme in JW's music)? :sleepy:

One I know from the top of my head is at the end of the Intersection Scene from WotW, where the timpani (even two sets of them alternating parts of the motif from the far left/right of the stereo spectrum) repeat the aggressive rising motif the horns play before. I really love that passage :sleepy:

One I know from the top of my head is at the end of the Intersection Scene from WotW, where the timpani (even two sets of them alternating parts of the motif from the far left/right of the stereo spectrum) repeat the aggressive rising motif the horns play before. I really love that passage :sleepy:

Very interesting, thanks! I don't remember that, I'll have to listen to the score again when I come home for the weekend.