1982 -- best summer movie season EVER

I can't speak for the rest of the world. But I will be returning to No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Across The Universe, Sweeny Todd, Zodiac, Ratatouille, and others for a long time to come. Blade Runner, Tootsie and ET are the only 82' films I know for a fact that I will be seeing again someday.

Also, every year is very fresh. But I did not think so highly of any other year of the past 5.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can sit through that travesty jesse james again, ugh. must be drugs. :)

Even if I didn't like story-telling (which I did), I could watch all day just for it's images. Stunning cinematography.

Tron isn't terrible on any level, its quite an achievement, but its not great in the story department. for those of us from the era, it looked fantastic back then, it had quite a wow factor.

I am legend was sabatoged by some stupid ignorant fool who thought special effect creatures would be better than using actors. it harmed the story, and it took away a chance for WS to play off someone.

it looked fantastic back then, it had quite a wow factor.

So did BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY.

I enjoy that more than TRON though. But it's a small blip in a great year, and I agree, superior to 2007.

I am legend was sabatoged by some stupid ignorant fool who thought special effect creatures would be better than using actors. it harmed the story, and it took away a chance for WS to play off someone.

I AM LEGEND needs to be remade by someone who's actually made it through the novel. The movie was a pathetic shadow of that great work.

Very true. But the effects done on the city-scape were sensational, very effective. And Smith just knocked it out of the park, performance wise.

Smith was very good, as a man isolated and alone, think how he could have taken that even a step better playing against a worthy advesary.

OK I wanted to mention I am so over this sudden trend for the literally over the top shots, looking straight down on top the all the highrises, I've seen it once I've seen it a million times, it was cool way back when now its no longer a money shot.

The same can be said for Tron.

I didn't care for this movie at the time but now I think its world is quite special and original. I'd say, bring along TRON 2. And don't change the style of the graphics! Also, don't forget to bring back Wendy Carlos!

It's a wonderfully unique visual experiment. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've seen it that's pretty much all I remember about it, nothing about the performances or story. This conversation has put it on the "need to see again" list.

The same can be said for Tron.

I didn't care for this movie at the time but now I think its world is quite special and original. I'd say, bring along TRON 2. And don't change the style of the graphics! Also, don't forget to bring back Wendy Carlos!

It's a wonderfully unique visual experiment. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've seen it that's pretty much all I remember about it, nothing about the performances or story. This conversation has put it on the "need to see again" list.

It's not a film thriving on performances (neither is Star Wars, BTW. If you want acting, watch Glengarry Glenn Ross). OTOH, if you enjoy the film's unique look and sound, you'll be alright.

Alex

Jesse James is one of the best films ever made. It has one of the best scores ever composed, and probably the best cinematography since The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

As for I Am Legend, you are right, Joe. The CGI was pretty bad, but that still doesn't mean the movie wasn't entertaining, which is how I described it.

I've never considered I Am Legend to be an entertaining film--at least, not in the sense Indiana Jones is. It is more artsty than it is blockbuster. And yes, the CGI sucks.

I'm not sure how many of these were summer releases, but 1939 was a tough year to beat:

Gone With The Wind

The Four Feathers

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

It’s A Wonderful World

Of Mice And Men

Rules Of The Game

Some Like It Hot

Stagecoach

The Wizard Of Oz

Wuthering Heights

Love Affair

Gulliver’s Travels

Dark Victory

Gunga Din

The Hound Of The Baskervilles

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Son Of Frankenstein

Destry Rides Again

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

You Can’t Cheat An Honest Man

The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes

Intermezzo

The Roaring Twenties

Young Mr. Lincoln

Babes In Arms

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn

1939 is probably the year to beat for the title of "Best Year for Movies Ever."

I haven't seen the majority of the movies on that list, but any year that produces Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz and Stagecoach and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington . . . that's a special year.

I know I remember more films from 1982 than I do 2007.

Well since Joe says age matters, I'll add that you are much older than you were in '82.

Yeah you would think I'd be forgetful 26 years later...:mrgreen:

I'm not sure how many of these were summer releases, but 1939 was a tough year to beat:

Gone With The Wind

The Four Feathers

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

It’s A Wonderful World

Of Mice And Men

Rules Of The Game

Some Like It Hot

Stagecoach

The Wizard Of Oz

Wuthering Heights

Love Affair

Gulliver’s Travels

Dark Victory

Gunga Din

The Hound Of The Baskervilles

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Son Of Frankenstein

Destry Rides Again

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

You Can’t Cheat An Honest Man

The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes

Intermezzo

The Roaring Twenties

Young Mr. Lincoln

Babes In Arms

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn

its is a great year, and for the record, I said 1982 was the best year for movies that I was alive, 1960 to 2008 and going.