1982 -- best summer movie season EVER

I was thinking about this earlier today, and thought I'd post about it: 1982 was/is undoubtedly THE best year ever as far as summer movies go. A number of movies that can rightly be considered classics were released during that part of the year; enough, in fact, that I think it's just beyond question that this was THE best summer movie season ever.

Here's a rundown (using a rather loose definition of "summer," and using IMDB for the dates):

May 14: Conan the Barbarian

May 21: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

May 21: The Road Warrior (this only sorta counts, since it'd already been released overseas)

May 28: Rocky III

June 4: Poltergeist

June 4: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

June 11: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

June 11: Grease 2

June 18: Annie

June 18: Firefox

June 25: Blade Runner

June 25: The Thing

July 2: The Secret of NIMH

July 9: Tron

July 16: A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy

July 23: The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

July 23: The World According to Garp

July 30: Swamp Thing

August 13: Fast Times at Ridgemont High

August 13: Friday the 13th Part III

August 13: An Officer and a Gentleman

August 13: Pink Floyd: The Wall

August 20: The Beastmaster

I'm in astonishment over a few of those dates. For example: Poltergeist (which scared the piss out of me and still kinda does) and The Wrath of Khan came out on the same day, with E.T. opening only seven days later?!? Astonishing. Then, a few weeks later, Blade Runner and John Carpenter's The Thing came out on THE SAME DAY?!? That's . . . that's "wow," is what that is.

But I'm not sure that August 13 isn't even more impressive, in some ways. Those are all four movies that people are still watching today, for better or worse, and for four movies that last twenty-five-plus years to be released on the same day is just incredible.

Obviously, some of these movies are better than others, ranging from undeniably great to undeniably awful, but they've all got something to say for them. Several are simply minor films from extremely notable filmmakers; several are trashy late-night classics; all are at least semi-notable even today, and I don't think any summer since has seen such a high concentration of memorable films. Of course, I could be wrong, and if so, I want to know about it.

Discuss.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1983 is also a very interesting, lots of sequels to big hits and all of them disappointing. Coming off of Empire Strikes Back and Superman II, I'd have been insanely disappointed by ROTJ and Superman III and their OSTs. 1983 was an all around terrible year at least for genre movies, two James Bond duds (Never Say Never being particularly awful), Psycho II, Twilight Zone.

It was, however, a good year for comedies: Christmas Story, Trading Places, Mr. Mom and National Lampoons Vacation.

1984 came back strong though, Temple of Doom, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Star Trek III, Terminator, Last Starfighter and Karate Kid. That's a pretty good year at the box office too!

Twilight Zone: The Movie wasn't bad at all. 1983 also had Under Fire, Krull

Only the airplane sequence of Twilight Zone is any good. Never saw Under Fire and I just never got into Krull. Either way, these don't make up for the big stinkers and the expectations after their better predecessors. Also, I forgot Jaws 3D in my original post.

Terms of Endearment (and) Frances, featuring my favourite performance by Jessica Lange.

I'm not saying there weren't any good movies in 1983, just the popcorn type stuff.

And don't forget 1982's Frances, featuring my favourite performance by Jessica Lange.

oh,yes,people were lining up for blocks to see it

Ok, so lets take this summer as it's been so far...

What Happens in Vegas...

Iron Man

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Strangers

Sex and the City

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

The Happening

Kung Fu Panda

The Incredible Hulk

Can I get 1982 back please? Cause, Lord knows, what this world needs is more comic book hero movies. Maybe, what, 4 movies on that list that were good so far...

Also, I was 6 in 1982, so I really don't remember much, other than having the crap scared out of me in E.T.

It's Joe's pet subject.

well not quite but Bryant, I have argued many times here that 1982 is the greatest year for movies, not just summer wise, in general in all the years I've been alive.

There are those here who try to say some years in the 90's, 70's or 60's is better but they always fail in their arguments against me. But in terms of summer you are correct as well it was a fun summer for movies

it should also be pointed out that Annie actually came out May 21, and that an Officer and a Gentleman came out 7-30, Sword and the Sorcerer was a summer movie even though it came out in last April, hell it was more fun than Conan by far.

Star Wars, Raiders, and Bambi all were rereleased that summer as well.

And Porky's hung around till summer too, it was released in march but it was the first HUGE movie of the year, awful as it was.

It's Joe's pet subject.

well not quite but Bryant, I have argued many times here that 1982 is the greatest year for movies, not just summer wise, in general in all the years I've been alive.

There are those here who try to say some years in the 90's, 70's or 60's is better but they always fail in their arguments against me. But in terms of summer you are correct as well it was a fun summer for movies

Careful you don't step in the bullpoo, people. Joe has bever succeeded at showing 1982 as the greatest year for movies. Maybe for geekdom, maybe for 80's purists, maybe for trash...but it was not a great year for movies as a whole. Many, many, many better years. Hell, 2007 was better (although not in the summer movies category).

So many great scores back then...

You ain't kidding. It always gets me how today's crappy movies like Transformers (and good movies with crap scores like Pirates of the Carribean) would have had kick arse scores if they had been made then.

Guest macrea

It was the last truly great genre summer. Even when some of the films weren't great, they were at least interesting to go and see. PLUS: there were also reissues of Raiders (July), Star Wars (August), and Empire (November)! 1982 was also the year of three excellent comedies, Victor/Victoria, My Favorite Year, and Tootsie. Dramas were pretty impressive too: Gandhi, Missing, The Verdict, Sophie's Choice, etc. Definitely a great year all around. What a fantastic time to be a movie goer.

It's Joe's pet subject.

Careful you don't step in the bullpoo, people. Joe has bever succeeded at showing 1982 as the greatest year for movies. Maybe for geekdom, maybe for 80's purists, maybe for trash...but it was not a great year for movies as a whole. Many, many, many better years. Hell, 2007 was better (although not in the summer movies category).

sorry but you're being moronic Morlock, 2007 was not better, not even close, to say that is just stupid.

There's one glaring flaw in this "1982" list....TRON...I mean, come on...it's TRON!

I own a copy, but I still haven't seen Tron. Still, it's considered to be something of a watershed for visual effects, so I think it belongs on any list of notable movies from 1982.

Whether it's worth a crap or not, I cannot yet say.

You haven't even seen the majority of the movies that make for 2007's greatness.

when a movie like No country for Old men wins best picture you know the year's not the greatest.

You haven't even seen the majority of the movies that make for 2007's greatness.

when a movie like No country for Old men wins best picture you know the year's not the greatest.

Now that is a stupid statement.

3:10 To Yuma

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

The Bourne Ultimatum

Charlie Wilson's War

The Darjeeling Limited

Eastern Promises

Gone Baby Gone

Grindhouse

Hot Fuzz

The Hunting Party

I Am Legend

I'm Not There

In The Valley Of Elah

Juno

Knocked Up

Live Free Or Die Hard

Michael Clayton

No Country For Old Men

Ocean's Thirteen

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End

Ratatouille

Reign Over Me

Rescue Dawn

Seraphim Falls

Shoot 'Em Up

Superbad

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

There Will Be Blood

Zodiac

Fantastic comedies, fantastic action, fantastic drama, fantastic entertainment... 2007 is one helluva year for movies.

The Bourne Ultimatum

Charlie Wilson's War

The Darjeeling Limited

Eastern Promises

Gone Baby Gone

Grindhouse

Hot Fuzz

The Hunting Party

I Am Legend

I'm Not There

In The Valley Of Elah

Juno

Knocked Up

Live Free Or Die Hard

Michael Clayton

No Country For Old Men

Ocean's Thirteen

Ratatouille

Reign Over Me

Rescue Dawn

Seraphim Falls

Shoot 'Em Up

Superbad

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Sweet

There Will Be Blood

Zodiac

Fantastic comedies, fantastic action, fantastic drama, fantastic entertainment... 2007 is one helluva year for movies.

I was with ya right up until I read the words Live Free or Die Hard.

Wait a minute -- I just re-examined that list and discovered that Shoot 'em Up is on it.

Hands down, that is one of the worst not-made-by-amateurs movies that I have ever seen. Painfully awful in every respect, and yet smug about how supposedly awesome it is. Dreck. The Pabst Blue Ribbon of movies.

Shoot 'Em Up is probably a terrible movie, if you think like the way I assume you are. It's supposed to be so over-the-top mindless action, and it achieves its goal. It was fun and entertaining, I had a great time and laughs at the cinema. I also really like Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. The people that made this movie didn't care about story or characters, and neither should you (for this particular film, of course).

Shoot 'Em Up is probably a terrible movie, if you think like the way I assume you are. It's supposed to be so over-the-top mindless action, and it achieves its goal. It was fun and entertaining, I had a great time and laughs at the cinema. I also really like Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. The people that made this movie didn't care about story or characters, and neither should you (for this particular film, of course).

Oh, no -- I "got" it. It still was one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had watching a movie. And bear in mind that I was clocked in, watching it for money. I thought seriously about turning it off and leaving work; in essence, I considered paying money for it to be over, and the only reason I didn't is due to my professionalism.

I know there was supposed to be no story or character; I was turned off by the fact that the movie is nothing but one joke after another, and that not one single time did I think the joke was funny. I love Owen and Giamatti as much as the next guy, but they were both awful in this movie; and giving an awful performance while trying to be intentionally awful is quite a negative accomplishment.

I'm told by somebody who hated it as much as me, but who is far braver, that the commentary track by the director is just as smugly self-satisfied (for no good reason) as is the film itself. Which makes sense, I guess. But I plan on never finding out firsthand.

If I want to see a fun, enjoyably over-the-top action movie that is essentially just a parody of action movies, then I'll go for the aforementioned Live Free or Die Hard. I think I'd rather watch Moulin Rouge again than Shoot 'em Up, and believe me when I tell you, I'll be a sad camper the day I'm forced to make that decision.

Glad you liked it, though.

I left the theater during Shoot 'Em Up. Its humor was lost on me. Even my buddy left the theater and he's the biggest Giamatti fan on this planet.

The same can be said for Tron.

I didn't care for this movie at the time but now I think its world is quite special and original. I'd say, bring along TRON 2. And don't change the style of the graphics! Also, don't forget to bring back Wendy Carlos!

Alex

I had a great time with Shoot 'Em Up. An action film that acknowledges it's stupidity without condescending.

The Bourne Ultimatum

Charlie Wilson's War

The Darjeeling Limited

Eastern Promises

Gone Baby Gone

Grindhouse

Hot Fuzz

The Hunting Party

I Am Legend

I'm Not There

In The Valley Of Elah

Juno

Knocked Up

Live Free Or Die Hard

Michael Clayton

No Country For Old Men

Ocean's Thirteen

Ratatouille

Reign Over Me

Rescue Dawn

Seraphim Falls

Shoot 'Em Up

Superbad

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

There Will Be Blood

Zodiac

your list only proves I'm right. Oceans' thirteen, I am Legend, Reign over me, Knocked up superbad, only a fool would believe 2007 is as good as 1982, course you're given a pass because you don't know about 1982, you're too young, still you're the kind that would think kobe is better than michael

Joe, you can keep nitpicking, but it rings false. We all disagree on some films. Leave off the ones you mentioned as being bad, and you've still got a great year. I've seen at least 4 masterpieces last year, which is probably as much as the previous 3 years combined. 2007 was a great year for movies.

My buddy, the Giamitti fan, wanted to see it. All I knew was that it featured Paul Giamatti, so I thought why not. Now it's classified as one of my worst theater experiences ever.

Alex

your list only proves I'm right. Oceans' thirteen, I am Legend, Reign over me, Knocked up superbad, only a fool would believe 2007 is as good as 1982, course you're given a pass because you don't know about 1982, you're too young, still you're the kind that would think kobe is better than michael

What is wrong with Ocean's Thirteen? It's a fun feel-good movie. I Am Legend? Entertaining movie. Reign Over Me? I thought it was a pretty decent drama with good acting. Knocked Up and Superbad? Two damn fine comedies that'll make you laugh.

Stop bringing up age as an excuse, Joe. I didn't have to be alive to know or have seen the movies released in 1982.

Shhhh! :) I mixed it up with Hancock. But whatever, it was still entertaining.

We'll see if those 2007 movies are as fondly remembered with nostalgia in 25 years.

Only time will tell. I assure you No Country For Old Me and There Will Be Blood will be.

Shhhh! :) I mixed it up with Hancock. But whatever, it was still entertaining.
We'll see if those 2007 movies are as fondly remembered with nostalgia in 25 years.

Only time will tell. I assure you No Country For Old Me and There Will Be Blood will be.

And Ratatouille. And Grindhouse.

No, Grindhouse is not especially popular (or good, IMO).

LOTS of people said exactly the same thing about Blade Runner and The Thing in 1982. Neither made much money at all, and mostly turned off critics. However, the people who loved those movies looooooved them, and they're now regarded as classics.

Mark my words, the same thing is happening with Grindhouse.

What is wrong with Ocean's Thirteen? It's a fun feel-good movie. I Am Legend? Entertaining movie. Reign Over Me? I thought it was a pretty decent drama with good acting. Knocked Up and Superbad? Two damn fine comedies that'll make you laugh.

Stop bringing up age as an excuse, Joe. I didn't have to be alive to know or have seen the movies released in 1982.

age is an excuse, but you're too young to understand that. :)

you're just thinking 2007 is so fine because its still fresh, so is Morlock

I am Legend is a dreadful film, just a bad film (saved only by WS's performace), with some of the work CGI in years. Reign over me was mediocre at best, not bad, not good, certainly not memorable.

Knocked Up and Superbad were two unfunny films, superbad was just another stupid movie with about 200 F bombs, and Knocked Up was boring, nothing happens, the only laugh in the movie is the baby crowning scene. Ocean's Thirteen was a needless exercise. Michael Clayton was as badly constructed a film as there ever was. While the acting was superb, the storytelling left no room for any real tension. Where's the drama when you know that Michael isn't going to be blown up.

For everone who likes No Country for Old Men, I can find at least one person who doesn't. the cohn bros. films are so polarizing. people like them or don't

There will be blood isn't a movie people will want to watch over and over. It was not a great year for movies, Morlock, it was ok, 2003 was better, in fact the 00's has not been kind to films, sure there are great films every year, but the number of bad and mediocre films seems to be greater than ever. 2008 is on a pace to be better than last year. It certainly has been a better spring and summer. But its no 1982 either.