Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (John Williams)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

5 stars, because of the theme's (Imperial March, huge shame it didn't win the Oscar) and the action Scherzo's. I must say I do not like the bulk of the score as I do e.g. Hook or JP.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 stars, because of the theme's (Imperial March, huge shame it didn't win the Oscar) and the action Scherzo's. I must say I do not like the bulk of the score as I do e.g. Hook or JP.

I do have to ask...what were they thinking at the Oscars in '81? "Fame" by Michael Gore?

Wasn't "Empire" a pretty obvious best score that year? Or were they trying to spread it around so others didn't feel bad that John Williams was winning every year?

Yeah, I mean... "Rescue from Cloud City / Hyperspace" has nothing on "Eye to Eye."

:blink:

0f89793509a03b7a23412110.L.jpg

This is the cover I was referring to as the import.

Marian posted the Special Edition cover image at the same time as my post.

My cover is like that, and its got a jewel case.

Yes, eventually they got a jewel case reissue minus the liner notes. I'm talking about the early 1997 release that came out at the time of the theatrical release of the SEs.

I have the SEs with jewel case, with the golden,silver,bronze logos, and the front cover is a booklet with liner notes.

The SEs got three package:

The 1st, the Booklet version.

2nd, the rare Jewel case with Struzan poster version

3rd the Booklet version covers with jewel case

It's always bugged me how the image of Palpatine from the ESB poster is from ROTJ and the image of the duel on the ROTJ poster is from ESB. I've never liked those SE posters.

I didn't know about the import cover, never seen it. It should have been THE album cover for the original LP.

It's always bugged me how the image of Palpatine from the ESB poster is from ROTJ and the image of the duel on the ROTJ poster is from ESB.

And now in the movie palpatine if from ROTS :cool:

The Darth vader is from Jedi too.

I dont mind that at all. The three posters joint as they are meant to be look great (see signature ;) )

I was tempted to buy the new re-release of the original trilogy scores because they had the original LP covers for the CDs.

The Imperial March alone gives the Album/Soundtrack a 5 Star Rating

but combined with the rest of the score its simply a masterpeice

would like a more modern recording of it though :cool:

would like a more modern recording of it though ;)

Play Star Wars Force Commander :cool:

The Imperial March, The Battle of Hoth, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's Theme, Carbon Freeze are all absolute masterful pieces of writing in my opinion.

... its from a musical point of view much more creative than all the other scores from the original trilogy

it is defenitaly not overrated

Well put.

Is that a chronological list? Back in 97, I first found the booklet version of ANH (for you-know-who: cry all you want, that's what it says on this release) at the (then) local Virgin Megastore and picked it up. (Sidenode: Only after I bought it did I consciously realise that these were the original film recordings, and therefore not only more complete but also fundamentally different from the Gerhardts and Skywalker Symphony stuff I had before). Later I saw that they were releasing the other scores as well, and picked up the booklet ROTJ. But since I desperately wanted ESB as well, and there was no booklet version to be found in any stores anywhere, and they said "limited" everywhere, I bought the jewel case version of ESB. A few weeks later, a new batch of the booklet version showed up, and I bought the booklet ESB and dumped the jewel case one on a friend.

But this was the jewel case version with booklet-type covers. I've never seen the Struzan ones here.

Sidenode #2: I've never been too big a fan of the original Star Wars posters... I like the overall concept, but the posters themselves I always found rather ugly, with overly shrill colors, and at times too over the top. I much prefer the Indy posters.

My cover is like that, and its got a jewel case.

Yes, eventually they got a jewel case reissue minus the liner notes. I'm talking about the early 1997 release that came out at the time of the theatrical release of the SEs.

I presume you are talking about the Matessino analysis? I have that too. The booklet is rather thick. I'll post pictures of em later if I can

would like a more modern recording of it though :)

Play Star Wars Force Commander :blink:

i suppose your refering to the Rage Mix of The Imperial March, thats cool.

I meant i new recording to make it sound as good as the score in ROTS. The quality in ROTS score from abbey road is awsome :P

Is that a chronological list?

I dont know but i always had the feeling that the struzan covers were some limited version released at the time of the movies.

I bought the booklet ESB and dumped the jewel case one on a friend.

You never 'dump' things like the ESB soundtrack. You give it, you gift it, you make someone happy...

Respect! :blink:

I presume you are talking about the Matessino analysis? I have that too. The booklet is rather thick. I'll post pictures of em later if I can

Yes, I'd like to see it. I've never see one opened, just held them in stores. They felt too light to have a big think booklet and I thought I read at the time that they didn't include the liner notes, but of course its been years. Is it the full notes or an edited down version of the notes.

I bought the booklet ESB and dumped the jewel case one on a friend.

You never 'dump' things like the ESB soundtrack. You give it, you gift it, you make someone happy...

Respect! :D

I've "dumped" two Superman soundtracks on two different friends when the Rhino and Blue Box each came out.

Yes, I'd like to see it.

I'll try to do it by 2moro or the day after.

Is it the full notes or an edited down version of the notes.

Well, considering that my sets are the only ones I've ever had..I don't really know. I think its about 30 pages.

From what I recall, the jewel case ESB I had had the same liner notes as the booklet version. Only with slightly different margins, meaning they'd take up a different amount of pages. But I think the content was identical.

Mr. Scratch can go to this site and pull up the liner notes for the Special Edition CDs:

http://mahawa.jw-music.net/

Just go to the film score section and click on each of the films. You will see every version/release of the scores.

I did not see where it differentiated between the original deluxe and subsequent jewel case reissue. That site lists the release date as April 10 1997, I do know that on that original date there was no jewel case edition. (I also remember it was a cold rainy morning and I got to Best Buy 15 minutes before they opened.) I believe you if you say the jewel case version has the full liner notes though as I've never seen the inside of the jewel case release for myself. Like I said, I was under the impression that they did not.

I believe you if you say the jewel case version has the full liner notes though as I've never seen the inside of the jewel case release for myself. Like I said, I was under the impression that they did not.

Wait... now which edition is supposed to have the abridged notes?

I did not see where it differentiated between the original deluxe and subsequent jewel case reissue. That site lists the release date as April 10 1997, I do know that on that original date there was no jewel case edition. (I also remember it was a cold rainy morning and I got to Best Buy 15 minutes before they opened.) I believe you if you say the jewel case version has the full liner notes though as I've never seen the inside of the jewel case release for myself. Like I said, I was under the impression that they did not.

I'm sorry I must have misunderstood you. As far as I know the versions released in 1997 (both jewel case and books) have the same set of liner notes. If my memory is correct the book style cases w/sleeves were supposed to be limited and the jewel cases would be released a few months later to start replacing them as they sold out. Plus there was a limited release of jewel cases that featured the special edition poster art that year.

I believe the releases in 2004 and the recent box set do not have the full liner notes from the 97' releases.

I believe you if you say the jewel case version has the full liner notes though as I've never seen the inside of the jewel case release for myself. Like I said, I was under the impression that they did not.

Wait... now which edition is supposed to have the abridged notes?

The abridged notes idea was merely speculation on my part. Like Mark said, it seems all '97 editions (deluxe book & jewel case editions) have full liner notes. 2004 repackaging does not have them at all. There are no abridged liner notes.

The liner notes of the 1993 box set were very good, too, considering that at the time, that was the most complete edition of the scores. Based on the descriptions given, I made myself cassette editions that took disc 4 and distributed it correctly to the other three scores, and listened to those well into 1999.