JNH's Defiance

Morlock

New Ed Zwick movie about 3 Jewish brothers during WWII. They're played by Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, and Jamie Bell.

I am not a Zwick fan, but the trailer and score clips caught my interest (both at defiancemovie.com, there are more clips after the trailer). Score sounds like it could really be something. The Russian accents in the trailer don't sound half bad, either.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the stuff on the website but it sounds a bit Media-Venturish in it's approach - Newton Howard is skilled enough to make this his own, but still, the much-maligned 'Enemy of the Gates', a not-too-distant cousin filmically, now seems like a work of music history in comparison with it's bold orchestral approach.

What's amazing about him? He seems to see himself as the western world's consience, except his film are often so offensive in their treatment of the issues that I've developed quite an aversion to his films.

The way he crafts his films is brilliant. His movies are so emotionally superb that it really gets to you. Bryant is the only other person I know of here that wants to be emotionally affected by a film. That's what makes it good.

Bryant is the only other person I know of here that wants to be emotionally affected by a film. That's what makes it good.

What on earth does that even mean?

Neither Glory or Legends of the Fall really got me (although the scores are classics). Never saw Blood Diamond, and I didn't much like the score to it either.

The clip after the trailer sounds awful MV-ish to me. Shame because we know what JNH is capable of.

A film needs to affect you emotionally in some way. If it doesn't, it's a failure of a film. Zwick has never failed me.

That's one thing. But that there are only two people on this board who want to be emotionally effected by a film is quite a stupid and insulting statement.

The last fifteen minutes or so of Glory are remarkable. The beginning to nearly the final segment of the assault on Fort Wagner are all actually fairly poorly directed, but the final act is incredible.

The Last Samurai was good as well, but I have different issues with that one.

Yeah, he's a pretty good director. Not close to great, but he delivers from time to time.

Zwick normally has great cinematography in his movies, and an ocasional great score and performance. BUt I don't think he has actually made a good movie yet.

The clip after the trailer sounds awful MV-ish to me. Shame because we know what JNH is capable of.

i think the trailer was scored with the same clip I hate like in Mummy 3 and Prince Caspian ."Eeeehhhhh!" cut to black .....full synth choir of doom over fast cut clips ending with those rapid successive dramatic chords