Star Wars Anthology (Arista 1993)

MattyO

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha ha ha...... very funny.

The music is presented as Williams originally composed and intended it to go in the film.

But...

binary sunset, sail barge assault

You're just nitpicking. The music is there as intended, it's just sequenced to add in bonus material to create a listening experience (i.e. the concert tracks being presented at the beginning of disc two). If this was not the case, those tracks would appear after The Princess Appears and Luke Confronts Jabba respectively, but they don't, they're clearly presented as being alternate tracks.

Ha ha ha ha...... very funny.

The music is presented as Williams originally composed and intended it to go in the film.

But...

binary sunset, sail barge assault

You're just nitpicking. The music is there as intended, it's just sequenced to add in bonus material to create a listening experience (i.e. the concert tracks being presented at the beginning of disc two). If this was not the case, those tracks would appear after The Princess Appears and Luke Confronts Jabba respectively, but they don't, they're clearly presented as being alternate tracks.

Mark was emphasizing the 'Williams inteded version' thing and that was not entirely true.

But yes that was nitpicking.

I also believe that Matessino's liner notes pointed out which tracks were alternates and many of the tracks that differed from their film representatives, like the double presentation of Vader's funeral music. That leaves the alternate "Leia Breaks the News" on the Anthology that did not make the SE cut of ROTJ, when damn near everything else did (that wasn't Ewok singing).

Don't feel dumb. I think the sarcasm gets lost in the universal translator.

I also believe that Matessino's liner notes pointed out which tracks were alternates and many of the tracks that differed from their film representatives, like the double presentation of Vader's funeral music. That leaves the alternate "Leia Breaks the News" on the Anthology that did not make the SE cut of ROTJ, when damn near everything else did (that wasn't Ewok singing).

Nope. There are a ton of random inserts and odds and ends buried in random places on the ROTJ SE that are not pointed out in the liner notes

Nope. There are a ton of random inserts and odds and ends buried in random places on the ROTJ SE that are not pointed out in the liner notes

Are really there?!? I don't think I've found them, or at least I don't remember them (apart from "The Emperor Arrives" in "The Lightsaber", of course)... Absolutely must give a listen to that set, too much time has passed!

Matteo

Thanks to Luke I've been listening to the anthology Star Wars album and WOW! It sounds fantastic. Still, probably not fantastic enough to get the box from the US with Australia's current abysmal dollar.

Yea there's at least 5-6 others. There's gotta be a post here somewhere that points them out

These are the only ones I recall from Jedi...

Luke Confronts Jabba - includes an unused insert for Han Solo Returns (Jabba More Sinister)

The Lightsaber - includes two inserts for The Emperor Arrives

Light of the Force - includes the alternate version before the film version

The track with the main title also includes an alternate ending for superstructure chase / alternate intro for darth vader's death, I believe.

There's some alternate Luke / Vader conversation stuff somewhere too, I forget

One of the long ewok tracks has alternate han and leia love theme (i forget where from) wedged into the scene where they get caught in the ewok's net

Where did you get that name "Jabba More Sinister" from?

The track with the main title also includes an alternate ending for darth vader's death / alternate intro for superstructure chase, I believe.

Huh? The only extra music that is included in the opening cue from Jedi is music that was composed for a sequence that was scrapped where Vader reaches out to Luke with the Force and concludes with Luke placing his new lightsaber in Artoo.

The track with the main title also includes an alternate ending for darth vader's death / alternate intro for superstructure chase, I believe.

Mark is right...there's no alternate ending for "Darth Vader's Death" or alternate beginning for "Superstructer Chase" on the Anthology set or even for the Special Edition sets. Not sure what scores you're listening to.

Mark is right...there's no alternate ending for "Darth Vader's Death" or alternate beginning for "Superstructer Chase" on the Anthology set or even for the Special Edition sets. Not sure what scores you're listening to.

You sure?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf...fb05f55916050eb

Oops, wait we're talking about the anthology. I forgot that extra music is on the RCA Special Edition only.

I'll have to go back and listen but it should end the same way as the original LP does. I don't remember any extra or out of place material there.

Well I'll have to listen but I believe that is a mistake.

I don't think Michael Matessino nor Nick Redman would assemble the discs putting snippets all over the place that didn't belong.

You sure?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf...fb05f55916050eb

That music was for a deleted scene I believe, it is where it is supposed to be.

Yes, we know the music for the deleted scene is in that track, hiphats is saying that in between the opening cue and the deleted scene cue is this music

No, in the film the first half of Thru The Flames is tracked with part of Losing A Hand.

Yes, we know the music for the deleted scene is in that track, hiphats is saying that in between the opening cue and the deleted scene cue is this music

Ok I listened to the music in question and I'm going to stick with my original opinion that this music was composed for the cut scene described in the liner notes.

I just found this post with more info from hiphats about it

http://web.archive.org/web/20010618034923/.../swindepth3.htm

He says that it can be heard from 5:16 to 5:43 of track 2

Doesn't mean he's right, but that is his theory

I just found this post with more info from hiphats about it

http://web.archive.org/web/20010618034923/.../swindepth3.htm

He says that it can be heard from 5:16 to 5:43 of track 2

Doesn't mean he's right, but that is his theory

That guy obviously doesn't know that the final version of the film had a whole bunch of tracked and edited music through out. The RCA Special Editions present the score as originally recorded...

he does know that, and throughout the article he points out where the tracked music is

And while the RCA SEs DO present the entire original versions of cues, it doesn't necessarily put the later recorded inserts in the proper places, which is what we've been discussing

• 3 weeks later...
I did think about that Luke, but I think it would be nice to have the physical box anyway, it'll be a nice accompaniment to my Indy box (if it ever comes!).

Yeah, but i wouldnt pay it overpriced.

I think I payed about £60 the moment that the anthology was released. Think it was about 1993. Worth every penny at the time. Just think, back then, it was the holy Grail for Star Wars music fans. I remember the VERY long train journey home reading that fabulous book over and over again. Excited? That doesn’t even come close to describing how I felt at the time. I bought the special additions when they came out, I consider that I have most of the star wars music for the three films pretty well covered.