Star Wars Anthology (Arista 1993)

MattyO

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because it features music not on those 2CD releases, including the original film version End Credits of RETURN OF THE JEDI, and the Lapti Nek song that plays in Jabba's palace in the original version of RETURN. Although the latter may not be much of a track to some. ;) But for completeists, it is.

I think I'm gonna pass for now, but if I find it at a bargain price and from someone who'll ship it to Australia then I'll pick it up.

I would strongly recommend getting the SW Anthology, its absalootely Fantasitc. I very rarely listen to the Special Editions because of the awsomeness of the Anthology, wish they'd release a prequel trilogy box like that ;)

I find the Anthology to be more of a archival item, since it was the first actuall expanded John Williams score. The main goody we have from it that is still good enough for now is Return of the Jedi, because it sounds much more spetacular than the 2CD edition.

Speaking of it, I made a mix from the 2CD using all I could from the Anthology... for more info, PM me... ;)

I've had the Anthology for 12 years but would never dream of getting rid of it, even after getting the six SE discs. While the edits of many cues are not anywhere near film order, they are still unique and interesting, and worth a listen, such as the edits at the beginning of "The Last Battle," and the mix-up of the ROTJ Hyperspace/Ewok music.

The two versions of the Ewok Celebration (one is 1983 film version, the other has much louder Ewok singing) can't be found anywhere else; the arrangement of Lapti Nek is very nice; and some cues differ from their representation on the SE (compare "Faking the Code" to the SE's "Shuttle Tyderium Approaches Endor," and the SE version has a solo horn that is absent in the Anthology). I also don't recall the alternate "Leia Breaks the News" being on the SE set. I do listen to the SE set more, but now that I've got the Anthology on MP3, I might make a disc with it and some other Williams and keep it in my car.

Well I've reconsidered it and am looking for a copy at the moment. I reckon it will be good to have for archival reasons, plus sometimes I want a Star Wars shot on my stereo, but don't necessarily want to listen to an entire SW score. Sure, I could just make some SW playlists, but I'd rather have the discs for sound reasons and because you guys keep raving about them.

Well I've reconsidered it and am looking for a copy at the moment. I reckon it will be good to have for archival reasons, plus sometimes I want a Star Wars shot on my stereo, but don't necessarily want to listen to an entire SW score. Sure, I could just make some SW playlists, but I'd rather have the discs for sound reasons and because you guys keep raving about them.

You can't go wrong, trust me...eh us ;)

As stated earlier the Anthology set is definitely worth owning. Before I moved from Vegas, I had a copy of it but like most of my CD's it didn't survive. Once I moved I hunted it down and I bought it off ebay for a really good price and it was in mint condition. The only flaw it has as stated by some is that some cues have swapped channels which is unfortunate but the sound quality for Jedi and the mixes for all the music for this set alone is worth it.

If it weren't for the Anthology set my ROTJ edit wouldn't be sounding better than the Special Edition release.

It's worth owning for all of the above reasons, but something I've always liked about the set it is the artwork on the discs particularly the picture of JW conducting on disc 4. It's probably my favorite "looking" disc ever, its just really cool.

So, get it for the extra music, better sound quality, album-like presentation, the fantastic book and nice packaging.

I'm sure one day better 2CD sets will come out for each score that will make both the 1993 box and the 1997 SE's irrelevant, but until then the Arista box has some cool stuff not on the SE's

It's definitely a must-have, if only for the cues not on the SEs and the better sound quality on JEDI. I don't really listen to SW or ESB from it much, and there's a few odd choices (ROTJ film version Ewok Celebration together with ESB end credits) and the Finale/End Titles from ESB (i.e. The Rebel Fleet) starts beautifully then kills itself with the crash into the end titles.

Still, buy it.

I'm sure one day better 2CD sets will come out for each score that will make both the 1993 box and the 1997 SE's irrelevant

I bet the only way we get a new version of the OT scores is packaged with a PT release, if and when that ever happens.

It's definitely a must-have, if only for the cues not on the SEs and the better sound quality on JEDI. I don't really listen to SW or ESB from it much, and there's a few odd choices (ROTJ film version Ewok Celebration together with ESB end credits) and the Finale/End Titles from ESB (i.e. The Rebel Fleet) starts beautifully then kills itself with the crash into the end titles.

Still, buy it.

Yeah a few cues from TESB are actually the film edits.

Still, buy it.

Yeah a few cues from TESB are actually the film edits.

It's worth owning.

Now, if you are going to be charged extra fees in second hand markets then it is not worth getting it by 'legal' channels. I mean, if you bought the SEs what's wrong with it?

I did think about that Luke, but I think it would be nice to have the physical box anyway, it'll be a nice accompaniment to my Indy box (if it ever comes!).

That's true. There's a few floating around that look like bargains, depending on shipping fees. Another person has offered to sell it to me sans the box, which would cut shipping costs, but would it be worth it?

My final decision is NOT to get the set, only because I need to save money for the upcoming December releases from various labels. Plus, I'm really eager to get into Jerry Goldsmith, which I plan on doing with The Wind and the Lion, Boys From Brazil and King Solomon's Mines, all of which I'll purchase in the near future.

The average Jerry Goldsmith score is far more listenable then the average John Williams score.

Stefan Cosman 2 - 0 Alexcremers

Actually, Mr. Cosman did not detect the obvious sarcasm of my previous statement. "Marian Schedenig" is hardly what one would call "many". Furthermore, the accused did not present any evidence to establish that the average Goldsmith score is more listenable than the average Williams score. Perhaps that your honor can remind Mr. Cosman that he's in court and not in kindergarten?

Supergirl has a nice theme but I find myself skipping thru the album, it can be a tedious listen at times. It gets a little boring at times.